Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod mini 2G stutters when playing LAME aps (Read 145769 times) previous topic - next topic

iPod mini 2G stutters when playing LAME aps

Reply #150
Any update on this issue?

i was going to ask the same. i'm about to buy a nano, but i would have to buy an iAudio if LAME works bad.

EDIT:

- problem go away when using an EQ setting different from flat/off
- only safe EQ setting to use is Bass Reducer / Treble Reducer in order to avoid distortion of songs with a high recording level
- for the 4G color iPod only the sample with NIN - Right Where it Belongs stutters, even with the EQ set to Bass Reducer. Acoustic EQ setting makes the problem go away.

sorry for the question, but i'm yet to onw an iPod, does the Bass/Treble Reducer EQ settings change the music much? i mean, if that fixes the problem, why don't use it?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352799"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've just bought a Video Ipod 60G and I'm having problems with two songs:

- Madonna / Hung Up
- Cold Play / Fix

Both files were encoded with Lame 3.97 b2 VBR and I get distortion in both.

So, I ran mp3gain and both files had a lot clipping. With this tool I gave both files the right db (89), but they are still clipping on my ipod. Definitley I can hear A LOT of distortion. I will try to encode them in AAC to see if Lame is the problem.

Reply #151
sorry for the question, but i'm yet to onw an iPod, does the Bass/Treble Reducer EQ settings change the music much? i mean, if that fixes the problem, why don't use it?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352799"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have heard that this fixes the problem...but my problem still exists, even with the use of the EQ settings...

Reply #152

- Madonna / Hung Up
- Cold Play / Fix

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352803"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Madonna's - Hung Up is supposed to sound distorted. 
The distortion is the same as on the original. E.g. from 2.45 to 3.00 in the song it is very noticeable.

If the second song you refer to is Coldplay - Fix You, I can't hear any added distortion in the encoded version either.

IMHO you should be happy that you can now hear details of the original production that previously went unnoticed. 

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Encoded with lame3.96 aps. Played back on 60 GB video iPod with HD-600.[/span]

Reply #153

- Madonna / Hung Up
- Cold Play / Fix

it's either meant to be or try to turn off the EQ
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #154

- Madonna / Hung Up
- Cold Play / Fix

So, I ran mp3gain and both files had a lot clipping. With this tool I gave both files the right db (89), but they are still clipping on my ipod. Definitley I can hear A LOT of distortion. I will try to encode them in AAC to see if Lame is the problem.

That is not related to this problem. This problem is actual skips in the songs, not distortion.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #155
I'm very happy with my new Creative Zen Micro here.

No problems playing my VBR MP3's, and it's gapless (or very very VERY nearly so) too.

Sorry to hear about all you guys having trouble with your iPods.

Reply #156
I'm very happy with my new Creative Zen Micro here.

No problems playing my VBR MP3's, and it's gapless (or very very VERY nearly so) too.

Sorry to hear about all you guys having trouble with your iPods.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=353641"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

isn't it kinda off-topic?

Reply #157
No, not at all. If anybody here has trouble with the iPod mini and their VBR files, they should exchange it for the Zen Micro. With the exception of AAC support, it does everything the iPod Mini can do. Lend me an iPod Mini for testing and I can tell you in what ways the Zen Micro even outperforms it.

The thread itself is off topic by the way (belongs in Audio Hardware, not MP3 Tech).

Reply #158
.  <----- is this a piece of your brain?

Reply #159
Lend me an iPod Mini for testing and I can tell you in what ways the Zen Micro even outperforms it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=353703"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You must be great fun at parties

Reply #160
An iPod circle jerk party... I'd rather stay home.

Matter of fact: If you buy something and it doesn't meet your needs/expectations, you stand a better chance at buying something else that will, than getting any change.

Reply #161
FIRMWARE UPDATE!

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

What's new in iPod Updater 2006-01-10:

* Support for the iPod Radio Remote for iPod with video and iPod nano
    * Bug fixes for iPod with video, iPod nano, iPod with color display, iPod mini, and iPod with Click Wheel

Let's hope that "bug fixes" address a certain bug...
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #162
FIRMWARE UPDATE!

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

What's new in iPod Updater 2006-01-10:

* Support for the iPod Radio Remote for iPod with video and iPod nano
    * Bug fixes for iPod with video, iPod nano, iPod with color display, iPod mini, and iPod with Click Wheel

Let's hope that "bug fixes" address a certain bug...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356222"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just tried the new firmware on my iPod mini 2G...

Bug not fixed. 

This is the second update made by Apple after the stuttering issue has been reported.

One could speculate that the issue is a hardware issue with the processor that apparently calculates the clock speed wrong when playing back mp3.

Would still like to hear whether the bug is still present in the nano too.

Reply #163
iPod nano with new 1.1 firmware still stutters.  In other words, Apple will never fix this.  Good times...

Reply #164
iPod nano with new 1.1 firmware still stutters.  In other words, Apple will never fix this.  Good times...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356375"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not surprised. Why would they...they have a monopoly...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

Reply #165
ipod updater just came out, wonder if they've fixed the ipod photo vbr skip.

Reply #166
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356484"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah that must be the reason. Or, it could simply be a limitation with its decoding chip. That could explain why it's not a problem on the new video iPods

Reply #167
Yeah that must be the reason. Or, it could simply be a limitation with its decoding chip. That could explain why it's not a problem on the new video iPods
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356637"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Limitation with its decoding chip? No freaking way, and the fact Rockbox developers have already started the porting process confirms this quite enough.

The other thing is that if Apple releases another firmware upgrade that fixes the stuttering problem, it'll reduce processor throttling, which may (and possibly will) lead to a reduced battery life.
And that kinda contradicts with one of their marketing statements of increased battery life (12—14 hours is already pretty bad for a flash player, they can't afford themselves to lower this value any more).

AFAIK, video iPods have more capatious battery.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #168
I think the iPOD's only really aimed at playing AAC files downloaded from the iTunes store so why would an mp3 bug limited to a non iTunes encoder be a priority for Apple?

Reply #169
I think the iPOD's only really aimed at playing AAC files downloaded from the iTunes store so why would an mp3 bug limited to a non iTunes encoder be a priority for Apple?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356905"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's Apple's main excuse, yeah.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #170
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356484"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356637"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the issues with the 3G iPod were never fixed either...

Reply #171
the issues with the 3G iPod were never fixed either...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356924"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What issues? When I got mine it was full of bugs (channel swap, 'tick' between songs, not turning on and frequent crashes etc). These were all taken care of in a subsequent FW update.

If they didn't know/care about the skipping problem, then why was it fixed on the 5G iPods?

Reply #172
If they didn't know/care about the skipping problem, then why was it fixed on the 5G iPods?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356992"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

might have happened by chance due to different parts or they fixed it so they give people another reason to upgrade. It is also a difference if you design a product from scratch or eliminate bugs for an existing product that has been superseded.

Reply #173
i have iPod nano 2GB
i have copied almost 50 Lame VBR -V2 encoded songs. and i listened to them regularly (with eq. flat), they never skip!
Lame 3.97: -V2 --vbr-new

Reply #174
i have iPod nano 2GB
i have copied almost 50 Lame VBR -V2 encoded songs. and i listened to them regularly (with eq. flat), they never skip!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358326"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's not "every song", it's a select few... and it's very irritating.  Yes, using the latest LAME 3.97 at -V2 or -V0 & --vbr-new.  Which songs are impacted may depend on the version of the encoder.  And as most have said, it's somewhat related to the bitrate changing significantly.