Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OggEnc v2.87 (aoTuV Beta 6.03) padding switch (Read 6593 times) previous topic - next topic

OggEnc v2.87 (aoTuV Beta 6.03) padding switch

I noticed some time ago that the --padding switch has disappeared from the various oggenc2.exe builds that I've downloaded from rarewares. I'm currently using OggEnc v2.87 (aoTuV Beta 6.03), still with no padding switch. I've searched and cannot find any thread explaining what happened to this switch.

I liked this switch and would like to have it back. Can anyone explain what happened to it and whether we can expect to see its return in future releases?

Reply #1
The option was removed in November of last year because it caused issues with Windows 7. I've not looked at it since but I'll have another look now.

Reply #2
Found the suggestion about padding: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ost&p=43768

But there's a problem with that code because of:

vorbis_analysis_headerout(&vd,opt->comments, &header_main,&header_comments,&header_codebooks);

allocates memory for comments and stores it in 2 variables:  header_comments.packet  and vd.backend_state.header1.
The latter variable is defined in codec_internal.h and should be also updated somehow.

Reply #3
And not a trivial exercise, it would seem.

Reply #4
John,

Thanks for your prompt reply to my question. I really appreciate it and all the work you've put into oggenc2.

Reply #5
http://wiki.xiph.org/Metadata :

METADATA_BLOCK_PADDING: Nul padding.
METADATA_BLOCK_VORBIS_COMMENT: Also known as FLAC tags, the contents of a VorbisComment packet.

Does it mean that padding should have its own block (instead of adding unused space to VorbisComment block)? Or is it true only for FLAC files?

Added: yes it seems to be related to FLAC only