Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PowerDVD6 (Read 3262 times) previous topic - next topic

PowerDVD6

What format can powerdvd6 successfully play in 5.1 and be able to use the "dolby headphone" feature? I tried 5.1 wav and wma, but they get automatically downmixed to stereo when playing.

PowerDVD6

Reply #1
What format can powerdvd6 successfully play in 5.1 and be able to use the "dolby headphone" feature? I tried 5.1 wav and wma, but they get automatically downmixed to stereo when playing.
  I'm a little confused by that question...  Dolby Headphone is mixed-down to 2-channels. 

I don't use PowerDVD, but perhaps this will help:

There are several versions of PowerDVD.  The free version that comes with DVD drives may not support Dolby 5.1 surround.  Here's the comparison chart for the current (version 8) non-free versions.

5.1 WAV and WMA are not "DVD compliant".  You won't find those formats on a commercial DVD, and PowerDVD apparently does not support these.

Your soundcard/soundchip may configured for downmixing.  You should have a manufacturer-supplied utility to set-up its features.

PowerDVD6

Reply #2
  I'm a little confused by that question...  Dolby Headphone is mixed-down to 2-channels. 

I don't use PowerDVD, but perhaps this will help:

There are several versions of PowerDVD.  The free version that comes with DVD drives may not support Dolby 5.1 surround.  Here's the comparison chart for the current (version 8) non-free versions.

5.1 WAV and WMA are not "DVD compliant".  You won't find those formats on a commercial DVD, and PowerDVD apparently does not support these.

Your soundcard/soundchip may configured for downmixing.  You should have a manufacturer-supplied utility to set-up its features.

I know that the dolby headphones are downmixed, but now when I try to play 5.1 files, it downmixes them automatically, not according to the Dolby headphone specifications. Even on 5.1 speakers it's still stereo. In WMP and Creative it's still 6 channels, but power dvd downmixes them improperly. They should let dolby headphone technology downmix it properly for headphone use, not downmix them automatically and killing the dolby headphone option.

I have the powerdvd6 deluxe, it does have dolby headphone.