Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Library Viewing Sorting (Read 5883 times) previous topic - next topic

Library Viewing Sorting

Hi everybody, this is my first post here at hydrogenaudio, so let's hope I didn't post in the wrong forum.

My question about foobar is in regard to the library viewer selection.  In the interest of clarity, I have included a screenshot of my playlist.

As you can see in the screenshot, the albums are not listed chronologically.  I would like to correct this and have foobar list albums by year of release.  I have poked around all over and have yet to find a way to do this.  Does anyone know of a method to do this, or should I just get over it?

Thanks.

Library Viewing Sorting

Reply #1
Take a look at Preferences >General >Adding New Files > sort incoming Files.
The various fields that can be used in this box and nearly everywhere in Foobar is located at your instance Help>Titleformating help

terry

How you set this up will be dependent on How your files are tagged.
Good chance that:
%album artist% %date% %album%
will start to get you close

Library Viewing Sorting

Reply #2
The library viewer selection is a playlist and its sorting is handled like every other playlist. What playlist are you using? It looks like NG Playlist for Columns UI.

To sort an existing playlist use:
Edit> Sort> Sort by...

To have foobar automatically sort new playlists:
File> Preferences> General> "Sort Incoming files by"

To sort by year of release as you asked, you'll need to develop a sort string that includes %date% (assuming your songs are tagged properly). You may want to try something like this to get you started:
%album artist%|%date%|%album%|%tracknumber%|%title%|%path_sort%

For more information about what fields are available for sorting, see the file titleformat_help.html in your foobar main directory.

Library Viewing Sorting

Reply #3
Hi, I seem to be having the same problems with my Library viewer and I cannot find a way to sort everything by chronological date automatically. I've tried your guy's suggestions but nothing seems to be happening. I'm using a vanilla version foobar and here's my layout:

Library Viewing Sorting

Reply #4
It looks like the library viewer you are using is the album list.
Your playlist view will inherit the sort options of your viewer - in this case by artist
You can confirm by viewing deeper into your current album list view at, say, Tom Watts and it should show the same sort.

Go to preferences > Media Library > album list and adjust or add another View string.

A simple addition of [%date%] added to the end of the current by artist string may be sufficient.

terry