Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where to discuss speakers? (Read 5939 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to discuss speakers?

Hello

What forum is the proper place to discuss speakers? I see a multichannel audio forum. Is that the place?

thanks!

Reply #1
This is the proper place, i'd say. So i moved your thread here and edited the title. Please think of a better title yourself next time (see our TOS).

Reply #2
Ja voll!

How about equalization techniques and room treatment? Is that Audio Hardware too?

Reply #3
Depends on what you want to do. If you need a practical approach (like, what to buy and where) you can try here, if you want to discuss EQ algorithms the Scientific Discussion forum is more appropriate. Same for acoustics: theoretical approach at the scientific discussion, practical approach in audio hardware.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #4
Always practical! I listen to practical sound, not theoretical.

Reply #5
Things relating to hardware belong in hardware. A practical approach to equalization may be equally suited to General Audio if you are not specifically talking a about hardware. If you wanted to discuss the EQ in Winamp or in some other piece of software, it does not belong in the hardware subforum.

Reply #6
HOO BOY! Things sure are complicated! Maybe the gun was jumped moving the thread here.

Speakers require room treatment and equalization.

Let me explain what I do... I have a 5:1 speaker setup. I've done a lot of experimenting with how to balance the meshing of the various channels into a solid sound field by 1) matching types of speakers for the various channels, 2) setting up my listening room for the best sound- balanced against livability concerns, and 3) adjusting the level and equalization of each channel for flat response and volume balance. There is one goal... creating a clear soundstage through creating a carefully balanced sound field. It's one topic, not three separate ones. I'd love to get tips on how to optimize this.

Would this discussion be appropriate for General Audio, Multichannel, Hardware or Scientific?

Reply #7
The only meshing you "usually" need to worry about is between the main L and R speakers and the center and subwoofer, those can have phase and tone issues, but the side and/or rear I just set the level to match.

What is the issue or problem you are having?

What is your specific equipment and arrangement?

Reply #8
Would this discussion be appropriate for General Audio, Multichannel, Hardware or Scientific?

It wasn't clear until this last post that you are talking about one cohesive thing. As such it belongs in hardware. Reading the descriptions of the different forums should have told you as much.

Reply #9

It wasn't clear until this last post that you are talking about one cohesive thing. As such it belongs in hardware. Reading the descriptions of the different forums should have told you as much.

Reading my question should have told you that I was asking about one cohesive thing.

Reply #10
You can't count on how vague questions will be interpreted as evidenced by the responses you got.

Please review TOS #6 as well as the following link:
http://faculty.gvc.edu/ssnyder/121/Goodquestions.html

Reply #11
Vague and brusque answers don't help much either.

Reply #12

I'm most interested in hearing how people go about equalizing and balancing their 5:1 setups for both music and movies. I've been working on my EQ curves for the past several months and have gotten them to a point where I'm happy with them. Nice and flat. The main problem I have right now is that my rear channels are bookshelf speakers, and they don't mesh with the mains to create a front back soundfield as strong as the left right one. It's fine for movies, but for 5:1 music, it's a little weak.

I have 2 sets of mains... Custom 12 inch 4 way studio monitors from the 70s and JBL Towers. The center channel is a Klipsch RC-62. The sub is a Sunfire HRS-12. The rears are Klipsch bookshelf speakers. The system is used for both music and with my hidef projection system. I have a pair of 10 inch 3 way studio monitors that I plan to fly up onto the rear wall to replace the bookshelf speakers, but they're very heavy and I need to work out the logistics of bolting them safely.

Like I say, I'm interested in hearing from other people who are using 5:1 for music and picking up tips for calibration techniques. The automatic calibration in my receiver was totally useless. It didn't even get in the ballpark.

Reply #13

I'm most interested in hearing how people go about equalizing and balancing their 5:1 setups for both music and movies. I've been working on my EQ curves for the past several months and have gotten them to a point where I'm happy with them. Nice and flat. The main problem I have right now is that my rear channels are bookshelf speakers, and they don't mesh with the mains to create a front back soundfield as strong as the left right one. It's fine for movies, but for 5:1 music, it's a little weak.

Do you mean 'nice and flat' in-room response when measured from the listening position?  Research suggests that's *not* what tends to be preferred when listeners get to choose 'blind' between EQ curves.  Slightly tipped up bass and gently sloping roll-off of treble tends to be favored -- the basis of many a 'house curve'

Audyssey MultiXT (room EQ software included on a bunch of modern AVR brands) does offers a 'flat' target curve option, but their 'standard' target curve includes the treble rolloff I mention above (though not the bass tip-up).

Reply #14
I'm equalizing by ear to classical music, shooting for even voicing throughout the orchestra and natural timbre. There's a point in each band where masking stops and there's an improved clarity through three octaves at once. I parallel park in 1 dB increments until I find it. I have a background in sound mixing, so I know what I'm shooting for.

I started by using the automatic EQ that came built into the receiver. It was worse than useless. It identified a crossover problem at the sub that I fixed manually, but my sub goes down below audible range, and I think it totally confused the program doing the adjusting. The mids and treble weren't even close either. I would have been better off starting from a flat line and doing it all manually.

I think that bump up in the low bass / roll off at the high end is peculiar to the way rock music is mixed. Just about every classical or pre fusion jazz recording I play sounds perfect, but rock CDs are all over the map. The Beatles, Zappa, Steely Dan and Eric Clapton seem to be EQed properly, but Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and most other rock music all have their own peculiar curves. Usually variations on midbass humps with lots of low bass rolloff and shrill upper mids. I've been looking for a good plugin for iTunes to embed EQ settings into files. Unfortunately iTunes' built in equalizer sucks.