Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Decoding .shn files (Read 4716 times) previous topic - next topic

Decoding .shn files

Is there no easy way to do this? I've had a fairly large number of shorten files uploaded to me recently and rather than keep them in this format I'd like to decode them to wav and encode to mpc. It's entirely possible that I haven't looked hard enough yet but I can't seem to find much information at all on how to do this or what software to use. I'm missing something obvious I'm sure ... could someone clue me in?
To me, clowns aren\'t funny. In fact, they\'re kinda scary. I\'ve wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad. -- Jack Handy

Decoding .shn files

Reply #1
Originally posted by Rant
Is there no easy way to do this? I've had a fairly large number of shorten files uploaded to me recently and rather than keep them in this format I'd like to decode them to wav and encode to mpc. It's entirely possible that I haven't looked hard enough yet but I can't seem to find much information at all on how to do this or what software to use. I'm missing something obvious I'm sure ... could someone clue me in?

MPC can be directly encoded from shorten as long as you have shorten binary in path. Older mppenc packages included the binary, so chances are you already have it. All you need to do is copy the binary somewhere in path and encode your files as if they were normal wavs.

Decoding .shn files

Reply #2
as far as I remember the mpc encoder can encode directly from a shn file.
you just need to put the shn encoder in the mppenc dir.

Decoding .shn files

Reply #3
Hey I wasn't aware of that thanks! I did find the shn encoder/decoder and it's really easy to use but this is even easier. Thanks again.   
To me, clowns aren\'t funny. In fact, they\'re kinda scary. I\'ve wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad. -- Jack Handy

Decoding .shn files

Reply #4
??? Are you certain that you want to do that?
Why would you want to turn a lossless file into a lossy one anyway? Say you want to listen to them on an mp3 player someday. You will be forced to transcode, risking even further degradation...