IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why not gapless ripping (for lossless encode) as standard?
sidewalking
post Dec 15 2006, 23:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8871

I have a simple question, I think. I should know the answer to this, but I was explaining to a friend at work about compression and the topic of gapless came up when talking about live albums or albums that have songs bleeding from one into the next. I pointed out that iTunes has an option to preserve this effect on gapless discs but when he interjected with a question as to why this isnít ON by default I was at a loss.

Why is it again that we donít just go gapless on all or most discs when ripping? wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
benski
post Dec 15 2006, 23:15
Post #2

Winamp Developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 23375

QUOTE (sidewalking @ Dec 15 2006, 17:13) *
I have a simple question, I think. I should know the answer to this, but I was explaining to a friend at work about compression and the topic of gapless came up when talking about live albums or albums that have songs bleeding from one into the next. I pointed out that iTunes has an option to preserve this effect on gapless discs but when he interjected with a question as to why this isnít ON by default I was at a loss.

Why is it again that we donít just go gapless on all or most discs when ripping? wink.gif

I believe the setting in iTunes relates to automatic disabling of the crossfader. Encoder delay & zero padding information is stored in the compressed file regardless of the setting.
+Quote Post
Maurits
post Dec 15 2006, 23:20
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 24805

Yep, it is on by default for MP3 and AAC and I believe it's even impossible to turn off. The 'is part of gapless album' option is there for the reason benski just mentioned and actually has nothing to do with the gapless function itself.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 02:00