Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero Releases FREE Reference Quality MPEG-4 Audio Encoder (Read 471099 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero Releases FREE Reference Quality MPEG-4 Audio Encoder

Reply #325
It is official,

Next revision of Nero AAC Encoder will in fact have explicit SBR signalling in a backwards compatible way.
Hopefully this will solve "mono decoded as stereo" problems, and also problems on some 3G phones not "seeing" SBR and decoding just LC.

As far as quality scale goes - we will consider the input from the communities and see if we can improve it even more - we will keep our HA friends posted here on any changes.

Reply #326
I finally finished my 100 DVD FLAC > Nero mp4 conversion, boy that took a few days but it's nice to have a freshly formatted iPod with 9250+ songs on it all done nice and clean with the new encoder. And no, I won't be redoing it again just because an improved encoder might come out.

I'm in the process of completing the finishing touches on my 50 DVD (I'm catching up) FLAC > Nero MP4 conversion, and I've gotta say that I'm in complete agreement with you bb. It's going to take a fairly significant improvement in the encoder to make me go through that again.

Cheers again Garf, Ivan and team.

Reply #327
PNS is an encoder internal?

then how come it is enabled in the GUI on NERO 7.2?

My guess is that it is there because of potential compatibility issues with some devices.

@Nero team: why not having a "portable device encoding wizzard", where the user first selects the device brand, then the model. This way, average Joe would not have to worry about selecting between mpeg2/4, LC/HE, PNS and the likes. (this could even produce old mp3 when selecting a legacy device)

Reply #328
>>So, I'd rather spend time to remove the need to use the "-lc/-he/-hev2" overrides instead.
Hmmm... Just noticed:
If I need 64Kbit LC file, if SBR will be automatically used, then I will receive shitty 11KHz sound when playing on lc only capable device, while it would be 16Khz "normal" sound...
So, disabling this switch can raise some problems, I think.
Am I right ?

Reply #329
>>So, I'd rather spend time to remove the need to use the "-lc/-he/-hev2" overrides instead.
Hmmm... Just noticed:
If I need 64Kbit LC file, if SBR will be automatically used, then I will receive shitty 11KHz sound when playing on lc only capable device, while it would be 16Khz "normal" sound...
So, disabling this switch can raise some problems, I think.
Am I right ?

Please read the other posts. I stated that I'd rather replace those swithes by a "profile" system.

Reply #330
And, Ivan, please, make possible other input files, not only WAV files. I can't convert my MP2, AC3 and other audio files to newest Nero AAC encoder.

Reply #331
@Nero team: why not having a "portable device encoding wizzard", where the user first selects the device brand, then the model. This way, average Joe would not have to worry about selecting between mpeg2/4, LC/HE, PNS and the likes. (this could even produce old mp3 when selecting a legacy device)

I think this a truly incredibly outstanding and excellent idea, I could not agree more, and I think this needs to be implemented as soon as possible.

Now, if only I had one of each of the popular music player devices handy here, I could test them and implement this very easily.

Boss, boss, are you reading this?   

Reply #332
And, Ivan, please, make possible other input files, not only WAV files. I can't convert my MP2, AC3 and other audio files to newest Nero AAC encoder.

huh ? you can do that easily with foobar and the right plugins.

Reply #333
@Kostarum Rex Persia,

I think I already replied to you on this question on some other forum.

No, we (Nero) cannot do that, because:

a) In that case product cannot be free anymore (many codecs, unlike AAC, require per-unit royalties to be paid and have no options of single annual payments)

b) This is an encoding, not a transcoding tool

And, as others pointed out - this makes no difference, as there are already bunch of tools that could use this encoder to do exactly what you want.

Reply #334

I'm just released my MPWGUI_v2.1 english version with iTunes/NeroAACEnc/FAAC support, you can convert MP2/AC3... and more with it: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=44473
Read readme.txt carefully! It's really simple GUI... but it have unique feature - it can save your time.
Freeware.

Reply #335

I think this a truly incredibly outstanding and excellent idea, I could not agree more, and I think this needs to be implemented as soon as possible.

Now, if only I had one of each of the popular music player devices handy here, I could test them and implement this very easily.

I'll put a hardware request

Reply #336
sorry if this is a repost, simple gui for neroaacenc
credits to imcold
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #338

PNS is an encoder internal?

then how come it is enabled in the GUI on NERO 7.2?

A truly horrible mistake that I hope will be fixed in the next version.

what, the omision of PNS will be fixed and available?

No, the fact that an encoder internal is exposed in the GUI.

Reply #339
Just where did you see that "internal" - as far as I know Nero 7.2 has a simple GUI with a slider, not a PNS checkbox.

If you got the old dialog, it must be that you have aac.dll installed still.

--

This does not apply to Recode, which is still using the old encoder.

Reply #340

Of course this suits perfectly your 'do absolutely everything internally' strategy.

But do you really want to do that? You have to update your encoder often, have to consider the specific side conditions of any device indidually. As I'm a developer myself I would never go into these dependencies. I would like to spent my time in a more productive way.
At the moment this might be manageable as there are not very many devices out there supporting AAC.
But this can change, and maybe is about to change for mobile phones already.

Moreover tailoring the encoded file to a specific device means restricted application for the encoded file.
The encoded files become at least potentially device-dependent.

Sorry, I'm thankful for your free encoder, but this is one of the worst ideas I've read in recent times.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #341
PNS will be re-enabled in encoder soon, but not in the way some people proposed here.

There will be an option to disable PNS by selecting a special compatibilioty profile.

In other cases, PNS will be employed only where it brings benefits, and this is the job of encoder's psychoacoustic model to find out.

My best guess is that we will probably enable usage of PNS at bit rates <=80 kbps stereo for LC-AAC.

This will improve lowpass as well.

Reply #342

Oh come on, dude. Audio encoders take WAV files as input. Read around a bit, then come back.

Reply #343
>>Please read the other posts. I stated that I'd rather replace those swithes by a "profile" system.

Sorry. Didn't catch that.
why not having a "portable device encoding wizzard", where the user first selects the device brand, then the model.

Yes, it would be easy for user, but could be very complicated way for developer.
There are hundreds (at least) mobile players available worldwide and a new players became available every day/week. How could it be supported ?

Reply #344
There are hundreds (at least) mobile players available worldwide and a new players became available every day/week. How could it be supported ?

well, there may be hundreds of devices, but they all support a common format (mostly). For example, older nokia phones support AAC-LC (64 quality would be fine), newer ones AAC+v2 (48 quality would do).  iPods support AAC-LC. 128 quality would do. you just need a .txt file (to be read by NeroENC) with models/prefered encoding method listed, and this could be updated once a month or whatever.

(before anyone says "I'm not putting rubbishy 128kps on my iPod!!" well, if you're that picky about your music, then you're not the sort of person that would be using presets anyway)

As someone who regularly has to help out friends with putting music onto iPods/PVPs/phones, I would vote for this feature.

Reply #345

...if only I had one of each of the popular music player devices handy here,....

Sorry, I'm thankful for your free encoder, but this is one of the worst ideas I've read in recent times.

Every idea which ends up me with having a few hundred portable devices to play with is by definition brilliant

But yeah, it's not a very maintainable strategy.

Reply #346
Yes, it would be easy for user, but could be very complicated way for developer.

At least for the "Nero Digital" players, this should be easy.
If I remember well, there was a list of drives able to change their speed on the cd-speed website. Situation was the same: hundred of potential devices, but it existed.

Reply #347
@ garf & ivan:

Obviously your strategy is to keep details away from the user and let the encoder decide to the utmost extent.
Taking this as a preposition my proposal is:
  • Provide only the quality mode which is provided right now if no profile is given
  • Give a simple advice for novice users like 'don't use q<0.31 if you're out for best compatibility'
  • Define publicly the exact q-borders at which you switch to specific features (i.e. q>=0.31 yields LC_AAC).
  • Preserve these switching limits as a function of the q-value definitely in future versions. In case it's necessary rather change the meaning of a q-level qualitywise a bit.
  • Provide documentation for the features that are switched to at these boundary q-values.
    Only those internals should be published that are important to the user, especially with respect to usability on devices.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #348
I understand your request for features, but we won't put features that could damage the encodings, and/or lead people to possible confusion.

With fixed quality params, we can be sure that every Nero AAC encoding that is produced is made with optimal quality for a given bit-rate.

Of course we will add features, and I promise some very very cool developments this year

Reply #349
Wasn't it easy to retain the quality scale ( q 0 , bad quality, q 1 best quality it can give ), and then let the user specify what he *doesn't* want?

Example :

By default, the encoder chooses, but the user has the option to disable the use of some of the internals, in order to maintain compatibility.

Examples:
  player doesn't support HE-AAC , then  :  encode  -q 0.3  --no-heaac

player support HE-AAC, but not PS, then : encode -q 0.2 --no-ps

Of course, this also would apply to cbr and abr (encoder choosing the best it knows)

This will even ease the profile system that you're describing.

<joke>
this would only mean that there wouldn't be 128kbps HE-AAC radio streams...
</joke>