Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony SCD-CE595 SACD player (Read 6659 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony SCD-CE595 SACD player

I want to purchase an SACD player so I can start checking out the format, as I've noticed some available recordings of interest.  Honestly, I can not afford to spend much, and the Sony SCD-CE595 seems to be widely available for about $150.  Does anyone know much about the quality of this model?  I can't seem to find decent reviews online, but maybe I don't know the good places to look for stereo component reviews.  I wouldn't be too worried about lots of features or having spectacular standard CD playback quality, but mostly how the player would handle decoding of SACD's.

Let me know if you know anything about this model or where I can read some respectable reviews of related items.

Thanks!

Addition:  Here's a link to Sony's page about the product - http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....ts_SuperAudioCD
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

Reply #1
Does that unit play DVD-A also? If not, I would recommend a uninversal player, such as the Pioneer DV-563A. Plays all formats. Less than $150 too. :-)

-Chris

I want to purchase an SACD player so I can start checking out the format, as I've noticed some available recordings of interest.  Honestly, I can not afford to spend much, and the Sony SCD-CE595 seems to be widely available for about $150.  Does anyone know much about the quality of this model?  I can't seem to find decent reviews online, but maybe I don't know the good places to look for stereo component reviews.  I wouldn't be too worried about lots of features or having spectacular standard CD playback quality, but mostly how the player would handle decoding of SACD's.

Let me know if you know anything about this model or where I can read some respectable reviews of related items.

Thanks!

Addition:  Here's a link to Sony's page about the product - http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....ts_SuperAudioCD
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=240388"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #2
Sony doesn't do DVD-A...that's a competing format to SACD, in which they have a financial interest.

I would suggest a universal player as well. I think Panasonic makes an inexpensive model that does both DVD-A and SACD.

Reply #3
An additional question, and I may be stepping way out on a limb for this one, let alone changing the topic:

Is anyone aware of a player that can handle SACD, DVD-Audio, AND DivX/MPEG-4?  That would be killer for space-saving convenience!

(Please don't ignore my original questions.)

Reply #4
Is anyone aware of a player that can handle SACD, DVD-Audio, AND DivX/MPEG-4?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Browse this:
[a href="http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers]http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers[/url]

Reply #5
The 595 has been getting great reviews, from what I have read.  Sony also has another model (coming soon), the DVP-NC875 that also does DVD for the same price.  My 5-disc NC-685V does both DVD and SACD, but one thing that really irks me is that is only displays SACD-Text album titles, and nor track titles.  I'm sure that the 595, like its predecessor, the 575 fully supports SACD-Text.  Since the 595 is a dedicated SACD player, it may have higher quality components versus one that also does DVD.  $149.95 is a bargain.  I personally have no interest in DVD-A.  I own 30+ SACDs.

Found this a few months ago:
Sony has announced many new digital disc players with SACD capability. Starting with the single disc, low price category, is their new single disc DVP-N577SD ($130) and multi-disc DVP-NC875 ($150) that handles DVD-Video and SACD formats plus DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R/RW, JPEG, MP3, and has progressive output for video. The SCD-CE595 ($149) and SCDC-2000ES ($399) are both are SACD changers, yet will not play DVD-Video discs. For those desiring DVD-Video and SACD playback with higher quality may chose the DVP-NS975V ($300) that includes playback of DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R/RW, JPEG, MP3, and HDMI output that upscales DVD-Video to 720p or 1080i. For a hands off approach, the DVP-CX777ES ($799) 400 disc DVD-Video and SACD changer includes RS-232 port for home integration systems. Audiophiles looking to acquire the very best will find 1394 digital output in Sony's new SCDX-A9000 ($3,000) SACD single disc unit.

Reply #6
DVD-Audio capabilities might be nice, though I'm not as interested in the format based on what I have read and the apparent availability of titles.  I actually own one DVD-Audio disc, Fireside's "uomini d'onore" (a great Swedish rock band).  That one disc is the extent of my current hi-res/next-gen audio format collection. 

I've come across a $200 universal player from Samsung, the DVD-HD841.  I have yet to read anything about it's quality.  But it sure is nice to look at!  (In my opinion.)

And, yes, I also wonder about a player dedicated to one format possibly having higher quality components.  Would a chip programmed to decode several formats not fare as well as one programmed to decode one format (aside from standard CD)?  I'm sure it depends on the design and the maker.  It will most likely be difficult to find reviews of chipsets.

Reply #7

Thanks!

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=240388"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would highly recommend you to search for SACD and DVD-A topics here at HA. I've loosely followed the topic for a year or so, and I can honesty say I don't see a compelling reason to use either format. There are no proven, scientifically-conducted listening tests (ABX or ABC-HR) that have shown the sound quality is an improvement over 16-bit 44.1KHz red book CD audio. Both formats are very proprietary and title availability is very limited. Also be aware that as far as I know, nobody has yet been able to decode the encryption/copy protection on either format, so forget about ripping the discs to your PC for listening or transferring the music to a portable player. Unless you want to also buy a SACD or DVD-A portable.

You are much more likely to notice an improvement in sound quality by upgrading your amps and speakers, than switching to either format. Red book CD audio will sound just as good when played back through high-quality equipment.

IMHO, both formats are just an excuse to make us to replace our music yet again with another format, one that's heavily protected against fair-use. I'm not buying it.

Edit: OK, after thinking about it, there is one advantage of DVD-A, for example. Multichannel sound. But, for music this is of dubious value unless the actual recording is recorded that way. That means live recording with multiple mics placed in the correct location. For studio recording, this doesn't hold as true, due to the way that individual instruments are often recorded separately then mixed together later. In that case, any "surround" effect is artificial and not "true" surround as recorded at a live performance where sound reflections and musical instruments can interact. For music, I prefer plain old 2-channel stereo in most cases. Multi-channel has it's place for movies and such where sound effects are used. Multi-channel music just sounds lacking in detail compared to good 2-channel stereo.

Reply #8
Hi,

First of all, I would recommend to buy a dedicated player for each format. However, considering the budget you can also look for a "whorehouse"-player which plays everything.

There are no proven, scientifically-conducted listening tests (ABX or ABC-HR) that have shown the sound quality is an improvement over 16-bit 44.1KHz red book CD audio.
Can be doubted, however the contrary is also not proven in practise. Only in mathematics this can be proven.

For music, I prefer plain old 2-channel stereo in most cases.

Me too, for comparison reasons this is the way to go and this is also the format where there is no difference between DVD-A and SACD.

Regards,
Jacco
Logical reasoning brings you from a to b, imagination brings you everywhere.