Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Factory made, price < 500 €/$
[ 386 ] (53.6%)
Factory made, price < 1000 €/$
[ 124 ] (17.2%)
Factory made, price < 2000 €/$
[ 80 ] (11.1%)
Factory made, price > 2000 €/$
[ 78 ] (10.8%)
Self made, prepared Kit, price < 800 €/$
[ 10 ] (1.4%)
Self made, prepared kit, price < 2000 €/$
[ 5 ] (0.7%)
Self made, prepared kit, price > 2000 €/$
[ 1 ] (0.1%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 800 €/$
[ 16 ] (2.2%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 2000 $
[ 13 ] (1.8%)
Self made, own design and constr. > 2000 $
[ 7 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 1252

Topic: What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ? (Read 296512 times) previous topic - next topic

What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ?

Reply #150
A pair of Acoustic Solutions M100s (fairly cheap, got them @ a sale for 70£, tweeter + 2 woofer, bi-ampable)

500-strand cable.

A SONY STR-DB780 AV receiver

SB Extigy and an optical cable

all very cheap (im a student), but works well enough and the 5.1 is very nice for dvds and games.

JT

Reply #151
I had the extigy once upon a time. You can get much better for the same price.

Reply #152
Paradigm Monitor 5 (v.2) Fronts
Paradigm CC-370 Center (v.2) Center
Sony Minisystem Speakers Rear Surround (works fine for now)

Subwoofer:
2 x Homemade Cabinets (3/4" MDF, internally braced, no external finish yet)
4.5 cu ft. each, sealed
2 x 15" Adire Audio Temptest Drivers
Paradigm X-20 Crossover (For lowpass to amp and continuous phase adjustment)
Carver M-1.5t 2 Channel Amplifier (350rms x 2 8 ohm, 700 rms x 2 @ 4 ohm)

Rest of audio chain is Hercules Fortissimo III SPDIF hacked to convert optical to co-axial digital cable -> radioshack RCA -> Denon AVR-1601 Receiver -> Home Depot 12 Gauge Cable -> Speakers

Reply #153
Nvidia's Nforce2, Sony STR-DE585 amplifier...

Speakers: Small & cheap self designed 2-way speakers, box volume 13L and bassreflex tuning at about 45 Hz (not built yet)
Woofer: 5½" bass/midbass Vifa TC14WG49-08 (link)
Tweeter: ¾" dome tweeter Vifa TC20TD05-06 (link)
Crossover is also self-designed
These speakers (and crossovers) are currently in a designing phase

Subwoofer: 10" Focus Acoustics PT-100 element. My plan is to build the main-speakers first and then the subwoofer. I plan to put this element in a 60 L / 25 Hz bassreflex enclosure.
The subwoofer amplifier might also be self-built...

Reply #154
I have a high quality surround system that produces crystal clear sound: 
4 x KEF Q15        100 W                50Hz-20kHz±3dB  max output 111 dB
1 x KEF Q95C      100 W                85Hz-20kHz±3dB  max output 111 dB
1 x KEF TDM B45  300W subwoofer 35Hz-150Hz±3dB  max output 111 dB

This system have replaced my home made STUDIO 200 that wayed in at 80 kg a piece. A three way system featuring 15" bass units. 

They were perfect for stereo music, but hopeless when my wife wanted to rearrange the living room furniture. 

That why I changed to a surround system. But oh boy, sometimes I still miss my good old STUDIO 200. 

For the PC I have creative Inspire 2.1 slim 2700. 
They do a decent job with good bass rendering and clear and well defined treble.
Oh boy when Earl Bostic plays his saxophone it is as if he is right in front of me. 

I have previously tried two different Philips 2.1 systems and Creative Inspire 2.1 2400 but they were not worth their money.

Reply #155
My shameless setup...

M-Audio Revolution 7.1 -> Logitech Z2200
M-Audio Transit USB -> Koss Porta Pro

Hey they are better than the $15 Tsunami setup that makes noise when it's off...

Reply #156
Hey they are better than the $15 Tsunami setup that makes noise when it's off...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226835"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

remind me of a friend's (quite cheap) philips computer speakers that occasionally caught and played some radio frequencies.
but hey, it's probably a feature and not a bug!
The question is, who cares?

Reply #157
Soundcard: Digital output of Nvidia Soundstorm on Abit NF7-S motherboard

AMP: Sherwood Newcastle Home cinema amp (can't remember model number, about 100W)

Speakers:
Tannoy DMT10 studio monitors
or (depending on mood and music)
My own hand restored 12" Tannoy Monitor Red's in Lancaster Enclosures

Headphone amp:
my self designed and built DacAmp,
DAC and headphone amplifier which sits in a 5.25" drive bay.

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD600's new and nice

digital output is the way to go with soundcards, best upgrade I ever made.

Luke

Reply #158
Uhh... Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 
As for stereo, Cambridge Soundworks PlayDock PD200 (boombox) <-- better than almost all el-cheapo boomboxes... 
Headphone, Sennheiser HD 650 + Total Airhead Amp

Sound card : Audigy 2 ZX Pro Platinum... which is quite decent...

Reply #159
Self constructed but not of my own design and not a kit: Siegfried Linkwitz's design for a small two-way open baffle dipole using Vifa drivers and a passive crossover. Pictures on my Website for the curious.

Planning to eventually replace those to his "PMTM1" design which is a lower-cost version of his Phoenix main panel. Will have active x-overs and be biamped with DIY amps using Rod Elliot's PCBs and plans. I might use one of the current speakers for the center channel. Or I might just build three of the PMTM1's. Thinking of building the amps into the speaker stands. It'll be a long project...

Not hooked up to my computer. That's too newfangled for this old fart! Geez, I hardly know what you kids are talking about here sometimes...

Reply #160
Hi all.

M&K S85 (front L/C/R); M&K K4 (rear L/R); BK XLS200 (subwoofer).
Denon DVD-3800.
Denon AVC-A11SR.
Recently acquired iPod Mini (second-hand).

Reply #161
Magnepan MG 1.6QR

Reply #162
Cambridge Megaworks 250D 2.1 THX.

I love this speaker and I do think that it's better than Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 especially for playing music. The sound is not hoarse and have a good tonal balance even when playing a very loud music.

Reply #163
I use Klipsch Promedia 2.1s with monster cables hooked up to my PowerBook through a USB iMic, and Grado SR-60 headphones.

Reply #164
source: Marantz CD6000 OSE
integrated amp: Marantz PM 7200
loudspeakers : B&W 601
Science is built up of facts, as a house is built of stones; but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house

Reply #165
Chaintech AV-710 -> Alesis M1 speakers

I still weap for my Gadget Labs Wave/424, which had magnificent sound quality.  Chaintech isn't too bad for my home purposes, but it's still the weakest link.

Reply #166
I have Labtec ATX 5820 speakers.

They're pretty good on the whole, but the controls are really awful. Also, the bass and treble are excellent, but sometimes it seems like there's a void in the mid-range. Anyone had a similar experience?

Reply #167
A pair of Carolina Audio JSM's and a pair of JTS's.
Jordan short monitors, Jordan tall subs.

Great for music and what they do for my KV34XBR910 is wonderfull.

GTF

Reply #168
B&W DM.602's here. The price/performance ratio is simply unbeatable.

I don't believe in expensive speaker cables or interconnects. Every ABX test I've participated in has convinced me that "magic cables" are a waste of money. The appropriate gauge Radio Shack speaker cable does the job just fine.

I'm also using an Adcom power amp and an Adcom tuner/preamp (I never touch the tuner section; radio is a waste of time around here). These have both been going strong since I bought them in 1991.

This basic setup (Adcom components and the B&W speakers) cost a little over $1500 total, and sounds excellent. You really don't need to spend outrageous sums of money to get good sound.

Reply #169
Most of the time, I listen to classical music or jazz through a pair of Rega Cambers. They are Canadian-made and were really hot stuff in the late 80's-early 90's for people with hi-end tastes without the wallet to support them. Moreover, they are small, work well in a bookshelf and pack a huge wallop of a low end for their size - more than one guest thought for certain I had a subwoofer stuffed away somewhere. Very detailed midrange and highs, and remarkably efficient, too.

I power them with a mid-90's-vintage Adcom stack.

Upstairs, I still use my old Dynaco A-25's. They were similarly favored among budget high-end circles back in the 60's-early 70's. I got them new in 1969 and they still sound remarkably good, especially with voices and strings. Bottom end is solid without the "whump-thump" that so many seem to favor today. At first listen, one might thing they are thin in the bass... until a bass drum or 32 foot organ pedal comes up from the floor at you!

For these, I still run the Dynaco tube gear (FM-3 Tuner, PAS3X Pre-Amp, and two MarkIII monoblocks) I assembled from kits waaayyyy back when Nixon was in office. Over the years, I have upgraded it with various Van Alstine parts, including power supply mods, upgraded capacitors and the like. I now buy my tubes from Russia or China (both countries still have good vacuum tube manufacturing infrastructures) because they are high quality and CHEAP!

My study, containing floor-to-ceiling LP records and the retro stereo system with orange-glowing vacuum tubes, open-reel Tandberg tape deck and AR turntable, looks like a museum or the other side of a time warp, but my experience is that I would have to pay the price of a new mid-sized sedan to get significantly superior sound.

Reply #170
Creative 2.1 T3000 Speakers
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #171
Hello everyone,

My stereo system:

Source: Linn Ikemi 
Integrated amp: Icos Elsberg 270 
New loudspeakers : Thiel CS2.4 
Case of alimentaion sector: MPC   
HP cable: Synergistic Research   
Cable of modulation: Esprit

Reply #172
Now using:
JBL TLX 200 (2 way speakers)
Grundig Mini 10 amp
SB Audigy 2

Reply #173
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard.

M-Audio Studiophile BX5 bi-amped nearfield studio monitors ($400/pair MSP; $300 retail).

Cambridge Soundworks Powered Subwoofer PSWII (pre-Creative, early 1990s vintage,                                    $300 back then).

Out of the box the BX5s sound a bit 2-dimensional (typical of studio monitors) and shrill. However, there's a mid-boost switch, which when "In" moves  the soundstage forward. There are also switches for tweaking the high frequencies and adjusting for the best bass response in the listening enviroment. Once "tuned" these monitors reproduce sound that is crisp, clear, and uncolored. I listen mainly to classical, jazz, and folk music and am in the midst of converting a 500+ LP collection to hard disk. The BX5s are just what I need to isolate every click and pop on the vinyl originals. I don't even need to use headphones!

The low end is non-exagerated (as it should be in a studio monitor), but paired with a judiciously adjusted subwoofer, the bass takes on an understated richness. M-Audio sells a subwoofer designed to compliment the BX5s, but to my ears, my old trusty Soundworks sub does just as well or better. 

Reply #174
Just registered 
Looked through the topic and noticed that nobody has Focal.JMlab's (french stuff).
Receiver: NAD T 743
DVD: NAD T 513
Floor-standing: Focal.JMlab Chorus 716 S (cables - QED Bi-wire [UK], have no idea is it cheap or not)
center: Focal.JMlab 70 Chorus CC 70 S (QED)
surround: Focal.JMlab Chorus 705 S (QED)
s/w: Focal.JMlab Chorus SW 700 S (QED Qunex)
soundcard: SB Live! (looking for upgrade) with cheap cable.

Should say that I'm very happy with this