Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME: encode digital silence at the lowest possible bitrate (Read 7967 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME: encode digital silence at the lowest possible bitrate

Using LAME 3.99.5 32bits.
Commandline:
Code: [Select]
lame -V 2 original.wav bad.mp3

Original file: [original.flac]. Resulting mp3: [bad.mp3]

This is an excerpt of a file with spoken parts and long periods of digital silence in-between. The silence was generated using Audacity's Generate -> Silence option. Yet, when encoding the resulting audio with LAME it uses mostly 64kbps frames for the silent parts instead of 32kbps.

Why is that? How can I force it to use 32kbps for the silent parts?

Reply #1
Did you make sure that Audacity did not add dither to the file?

Reply #2
There's noise shaped dither. The "silence" in the middle of the file has an RMS level of -80dB FS. The "silence" before "ten" and after "time" has an RMS level of -70dB FS.

You need digital silence (all zeros) to get the lowest bitrate. Disable Audacity's dither. Use a simple noise gate to process this file if you don't want to have to re-do the whole thing.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #3
-80 dB of dither sounds excessive to me. Is that normal?

Reply #4
-80 dB of dither sounds excessive to me. Is that normal?

It it is a noise shape then having response of +20dB?30dB is normal.

Reply #7
Thanks guys. I've found Audacity specific instructions for correcting this here.

Hah! After disabling dither and re-exporting the original audio, the resulting FLAC file is much smaller too. In fact, the FLAC copy is now smaller than the LAME -V2 conversion. Whereas the flac file has an average bitrate of 37kbps, the mp3 is stuck at 40kbps (because the mp3 specs don't allow a lower bitrate than 32kbps at the audio's sampling rate).

Reply #8
Lossless compression loves strings of zeros!

If you zip (or even better, rar) the mp3s, you'll probably find the resulting archive is really small if it's mostly digital silence. For a minute of "CD quality" digital silence, I get a 234kB -V2 mp3 which compresses to a 1.3kB zip or a 0.5kB rar (default/normal compression in WinRAR).

Cheers,
David.

Reply #9
a minute of "CD quality" digital silence

Aw! Man that just made my day, it really made me laugh. If there ever was any audiophile standup, then this would be it.