Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_pod - Foobar2000 meets the iPod (Read 1308350 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_pod - Foobar2000 meets the iPod

Reply #1450
 so came also across that flag compilation problem....
also had some problem with tags listed by foobar and other tag programs, as they were not aligned, and than the sorting did not work. Probably related to different tage version types ???
so deleted all tags and recreated, now it works very nicely !!

thx again kl33per....

Reply #1451
Any way to change the regular order of the tracks on an IPOD shuffle once they are on the Unit? Maybe a "Sync Ipod order from Current Playlist" option?

Reply #1452
This is probably a stupid question, but how does one rename playlists using the playlist editor?  Whenever I want to create a new smart playlist, the same name is created throughtout.

Reply #1453
I'm sorry, if my question was answered before, but this thread is so long 

Is it neccessary to install iTunes to use the iPod with foobar?
Or will some functions probably not work, when iTunes never was installed on my computer? I've seen that the "iPodservice.exe" is mentioned on the following Site:
http://www.tinkafoo.com/log/foo_pod.html

But this service is only installed by iTunes, so I'm a little bit confused about that.
There is a Winamp plugin outside, that doesn't require an installation of iTunes.
How is that with foo_pod?
FLAC --> MP3 (Lame 3.96.1: V5 --athaa-sensitivity 1)

Reply #1454
This is probably a stupid question, but how does one rename playlists using the playlist editor?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305611"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Don't have the iPod at hand now, but seems to me you can rename a playlist simply clicking on its name (like renaming a file in Windows Explorer).
Is it neccessary to install iTunes to use the iPod with foobar?
Nope.

Alessandro

Reply #1455
Thanks for your reply.
Does this actually mean, that all functions of foo_pod were supported, without installing iTunes? That would be amazing 

Reply #1456
Thanks for your reply.
Does this actually mean, that all functions of foo_pod were supported, without installing iTunes? That would be amazing 
You're welcome.

AFAIK yes, foo_pod gets the job done equally well with or without iTunes. Some features *may* work better with the iPodservice, but I'm by no means an expert, so wait for Aero or Otto advice.

And yes, that's pretty amazing.

HTH.

Alessandro

Reply #1457
AFAIK yes, foo_pod gets the job done equally well with or without iTunes. Some features *may* work better with the iPodservice, but I'm by no means an expert, so wait for Aero or Otto advice.

Then I have to wait until Aero or Otto will answer my question.
So, Otto and Aero, what could you clever guys tell me ? 

Reply #1458
Then I have to wait until Aero or Otto will answer my question.
Why don't you try it yourself? You can always install iTunes later, if need be.

Alessandro

Reply #1459
Why don't you try it yourself?

First I want to wait until foobar 0.9 will be finished, but nevermind, I will try as soon as I have time... 

EDIT: It seems, that all works. Great!

Reply #1460
Thanks for your reply.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305685"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, that's exactly what it means. foo_pod does not need iTunes or the iPodService at all. It can work with the iPodService if it's there, but it doesn't add any functionality to foo_pod.

The iPodService is also installed with the iPod Updater program, BTW. But it's entirely unnecessary for foo_pod.

Reply #1461
Very cool.
There is only one problem in transcoding, I think. But this was mentioned before in the first post of this thread.

Reply #1462
Yes, that's exactly what it means. foo_pod does not need iTunes or the iPodService at all. It can work with the iPodService if it's there, but it doesn't add any functionality to foo_pod.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305752"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure it does.  If you have iPodService installed, you can unmount and remount the iPod from foo_pod without having the plug/unplug the ipod connector.  Without iPodService, you could not automatically unmount the iPod when you exit Foobar.

Reply #1463
Hello,

Transcoding never works for me for some reason. Not from vorbis or flac or anything. I have the three dll files in my components directory and lame.exe in the root foobar directory. Keeps saying transcoding failed! and then error#x failed to copy file.

Any help, thanks.

Reply #1464
Hi, this might have been answered somewhere but like so many people have said "the thread is just too long..."

anyway, i'm having problems with "update ipod database" and "rebuild ipod database" under "maintenance." everytime i do an update or rebuild, it gets rid of all the tags i'd added, leaving the original tags that came with the mp3s when i first added to foobar. i don't use itunes. i never have. i do all my update/change to tags of the mp3s on ipod directly. i have foobar database enabled with "block tags" unchecked. is there anything i'm doing wrong? i've replaygained my almost 20G collection like 10 times because of this. it's driving me nuts!

thanks!

EDIT:

Sorry I was not correct completely in what I was describing. What exactly happened when i update or rebuild the ipod DB was this: most tags stay with the updated info (i.e. GENRE). but all the playcount, filedate tags were gone. If I chose to do a replaygain conversion (i.e. using album gain to convert to soundcheck), all replaygain info is gone except the converted one. So if I chose to use album gain to convert to sound check, the album gain value became track gain and all the values of replaygain were deleted. So is it normal? if so, is there a work around to keep all the additional tags?  Thanks!

Reply #1465
Sure it does.  If you have iPodService installed, you can unmount and remount the iPod from foo_pod without having the plug/unplug the ipod connector.  Without iPodService, you could not automatically unmount the iPod when you exit Foobar.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305940"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought he had that implemented both ways. In any case, that's not really an "addition" of the iPodService. You can do that through iPodService, or you can do it without iPodService. He may not have it implemented without the iPodService though.

Reply #1466
thought also about that tag, but iPod doesn't list that one, does it ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302813"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No it does not, but you can use formatting strings to correct this.

On the Advanced tab in the foo_pod preferences, I use the following.

Title: $if($stricmp(%album artist%,'Various Artists'),%title%' (Performed By '%artist%')',%title%)
Artist: $if2(%album artist%,%artist%)
Album: $if($or($stricmp(%album%,'Greatest Hits'),$stricmp(%album%,'Number Ones')),$if2(%album artist%,%artist%)': '%album%,%album%)
Genre: %genre%
Composer: %composer%
Comment: %comment%
Tracknumber: $num(%tracknumber%,2)

This causes the output to look like the following:

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303000"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

so i got the formatting strings to work and ipod lists correctly. however it seems,
that the tags are sometimes set back to their orginal values and cannot figure out yet the root cause. Any ideas ?

Reply #1467
...no...

Be more specific.  The iPod never displays tags stored in the files, only those written to it's database.  When foo_pod uploads the songs to an iPod, it doesn't change the tags in the files themselves, only the information stored in the database.  If you play these songs directly from an iPod through foobar (or some other program), it will reload the tag info from the file, and thus give you the original tag info.

Reply #1468
...no...

Be more specific.  The iPod never displays tags stored in the files, only those written to it's database.  When foo_pod uploads the songs to an iPod, it doens't change the tags in the files themselves, only the information stored in the database.  If you play these songs directly from an iPod through foobar (or some other program), it will reload the tag info from the file, and thus give you the original tag info.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306217"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think I'm kind of getting to finally understand it... I came tonite after work/school and restarted my laptop which hasn't been hooked up to the ipod all day... so i hooked up the ipod, started foobar, and everything was still the same. it was just showing the original tags. then i enabled foobar database (it was disabled right before I disconnected ipod last). now the tags, the new ones, now all the sudden pop up as i play the songs... i almost understand it on a conceptual level ;-) but am having a hard time to articulate it. so help from anyone?

Reply #1469
This has nothing to do with foobar's database, only the database on the iPod.

Reply #1470
This has nothing to do with foobar's database, only the database on the iPod.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306274"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok.... so what did the tags reappeared again after disappearing 24 hours ago? please tell me why. it's driving me nuts!

Reply #1471
You aren't giving me enough information to figure out your problem. First you need to reproduce the error.  Then you need to figure out the steps you need to take to reproduce the problem.  Then you need to post these steps so I can reproduce.

Reply #1472
You aren't giving me enough information to figure out your problem. First you need to reproduce the error.  Then you need to figure out the steps you need to take to reproduce the problem.  Then you need to post these steps so I can reproduce.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306316"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, here's what happened: Fresh mp3s with their own tags. Dragged them into database enabled foobar. Replaygained them and added other tags. if i don't "Update iPod Database," all the new tags including replaygain tags stay. if i did the update or "Rebuild iPod Database" all the tags i added since i first grabbed the mp3s into were gone. All the replaygain info was gone except the value of replay album again now became replay track gain (i check replaygain soundcheck conversion using album gain).

If I did not have foobar DB enabled, the same thing would still happen.

If I did not have foobar DB enabled but then enabled it after all the tagging and then Update iPod DB, the same thing still happened. So I disabled foobar DB. Reboot the computer. All those new tags (including playcount, filedate, etc.) showed up again as I played those mp3s after I enabled foobar DB. If i didn't have foobar DB enabled after reboot, the tags stayed gone.

Reply #1473
...no...

Be more specific.  The iPod never displays tags stored in the files, only those written to it's database.  When foo_pod uploads the songs to an iPod, it doesn't change the tags in the files themselves, only the information stored in the database.  If you play these songs directly from an iPod through foobar (or some other program), it will reload the tag info from the file, and thus give you the original tag info.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306217"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

saw the problem on the iPod, so the tags were changed to orginal status at iPod.
Will experiment a little more and let you know, once I found out more.

Reply #1474
Firstly, godhenry, you still aren't really giving me all the details.  Where are the files your adding tags to stored, on the iPod? On a sepearte hard disk?

Is the foobar database limited to a directory, or does it include all files?

I do however think I understand your problem.  It is however not really a problem, but merely a by-product of how foobar works.

If your updating tags for files on your hard drive, and then rebuilding the iPod database, nothing on the iPod files willl change.  They will use the old tags.

If your updating tags for files on your iPod, the tags will change in the files, but not in the iPod database until you select 'Rebuild iPod Database' (and not 'Update iPod Database').

Secondly, TomGroove.  Well I have no explanations for your problem.  The tags on my iPod have never reverted.  In fact, I don't even see how this is technically possible without human intervention.  The tags just can't change themselves.  I suggest you wipe your iPod clean and reload the songs.