Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems Recording LPs with M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (Read 12281 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems Recording LPs with M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Reply #25
Try some other audio devices - I want to know if it's any better or any worse with battery-powered devices compared to AC-powered ones. iPod plugged into wall outlet, portable CD player, cable TV box, etc. Maybe there is a grounding issue that is screwing with things (kinda unlikely though...)

Reply #26
Try some other audio devices - I want to know if it's any better or any worse with battery-powered devices compared to AC-powered ones. iPod plugged into wall outlet, portable CD player, cable TV box, etc. Maybe there is a grounding issue that is screwing with things (kinda unlikely though...)

I will see what kinds of devices I have around here (I don't run an audio gadget store, though).  I was also thinking of buying an Echo Mia to try.  If it works I could RMA the 2496.  OH -- by the way I received the
TCC TC-750LC Phono Preamp, but it behaves just the same as the NAD -- no difference regarding the noise issue.

Reply #27
I plugged an ipod directly into the AP2496 and it sounded fine -- the noise was not present.  I recorded from the ipod and that was fine also.  I then plugged an old cassette tape deck (Nakamichi DR-3) directly into the AP2496's inputs and recorded from that.  The noise IS present for the tape deck.

That's really getting strange: a grounding issue would be the first bet, but your sample's artifacts clearly sound like they were from digital origin. You could try monitoring the noise in realtime and while doing this, connect a blank spot on your computer's case to a blank spot on your NAD with a thick cable. Then tap it several times and listen if this modifies the artifact.

I would still bet on a broken AP2496 - probably its ground coupling.

Reply #28
It's been a while since I posted on this, but here is where I have ended up.  I ordered an Echo Mia card and installed it in place of the AP2496.  It was very easy to install (after getting the correct cabling -- four cables with RCA jacks on one end and 1/4" connectors on the other.)  It appears to work perfectly.  The recordings are clear and clean.  I have set the card to record and playback at -10dBu using unbalanced TR mono cables (one for each stereo channel).  I am RMA-ing the AP2496 back to J&R.  I guess we'll never know why the M-Audio card wouldn't work in my setup.  Though I am fairly curious and modestly tech savvy, I don't have time to a lot of trial and error sleuthing.  Thanks everyone for your generous help.