Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bluetooth audio codecs (Read 2521 times) previous topic - next topic

Bluetooth audio codecs

Hello,

Is there a way for me to know wich codecs are supported by my bluetooth headset ? I know that SBC is mandatory, but can i check if my headset supports other codecs (apt-x, mp3 aac) ?

Bluetooth audio codecs

Reply #1
Unless you have bluetooth hardware that explicitely displays somehow which codec is used, you're out of luck, except if you're using Apple hardware (an iPhone or iPad or iPod, possibly a Mac) with a "Made for iPod" bluetooth headset: Apple supports and recommends AAC as an A2DP codec. Otherwise, you need to check the specs from the manufacturer of both the emitter and the receiver (both need to support the same codec).

Bluetooth audio codecs

Reply #2
Thank you for your answer, the specs sheet of my headset doesn't mention at all the codecs (http://www.energysistem.com/en/products/headphones/bluetooth_headset_series/39012-energy_wireless_bt5_dark_iron/specs). For the emitter i use it with my pc (windows 8, can switch to Linux if needed). Is there a software, line command... that can help me ? I just want to be sure that i am getting the best from my hardware.

Bluetooth audio codecs

Reply #3
If they don't advertise any specific codec (AAC, apt-X), chances are that they only support the mandatory SBC.