Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Id3 Tags as windows command line tool? (Read 6603 times) previous topic - next topic

Id3 Tags as windows command line tool?

Hello

Im looking for something like tag.exe, but i found that tag.exe has some bugs or limitations.
What i want to do is to copy the tags from one file (lets say an mp3) to a file in another format (acc, ogg, etc).
Also want to be able to read and write the tags.

As i have a large collection, i want to find a command line tool.

Please, if possible, point me to the right direction.

Reply #1
I am not sure why you would want a command line tool as the GUI ones will do this much easier/faster.

Try MP3Tag or TagScanner (using this one now and it's growing on me)

Reply #2
If an automated GUI solution is a possibility, consider this the inevitable mention of foobar2000; it can copy metadata fields between two sets of files, provided they are arranged in equivalent order in two playlists.

Reply #3
foobar2000.

Reply #4
Thnaks for all your replies.

I am looking for a windows command line solution, if there is any.

Why? Because i am a developer too and im planning to use it in a manager i am building for my own use.

Reply #5
Good to know. Unfortunately I can’t be of much help in that case. This question (both the general idea and the desire for something better than tag.exe) comes up quite frequently, but I don’t recall there being any program that decisively answers it. Hopefully that’s just my memory failing me!

Reply #6
I don't know in what language you are planning to write your manager, but a google search will probably give you some results on tagging libraries for popular languages. For example you could use mutagen (Python 2.3+) to read and write tags using Python. I didn't test it so far, but the library looks clean and easy to use, and you could set up your own Python command line tool in short time (if you know some Python).

EDIT: Typos.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #7
Thnaks for all your replies.

I am looking for a windows command line solution, if there is any.

Why? Because i am a developer too and im planning to use it in a manager i am building for my own use.

so what's your problem with id3lib?

Reply #9
so what's your problem with id3lib?

What i want to do is to copy the tags from one file (lets say an mp3) to a file in another format (acc, ogg, etc).
Also want to be able to read and write the tags.

yes, so obviously add all the other required format's libs?

Reply #11
Long ago I did make a VBScript for this type usage (I had also feature which constructed music library based on tag information (create folders by artist/album etc.).
I couldn't find those scripts I made anymore but, still located the sources I got ideas from to start.

http://www.motobit.com/tips/detpg_change-id3-tags-script/
http://www.motobit.com/tips/detpg_list-id3-tags-script/

Juha