Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sound outage when recording on MacBook Air (Read 3650 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound outage when recording on MacBook Air

This is a strange problem when recording music via an interface:

When I am recording sound (Amadeus Pro) via a bus-powered firewire-S/PDIF-interface (Weiss NT) having my 2012 MBA on battery, and during recording I plug in the power cable, there is a complete zero input for one second or so (shown as -infin dB). Mostly it goes with digital artefacts. Sometimes this also happens when doing other commands while recording, but the most reproducible problem is when plugging the power cord.

Possible reeasons: 

Core Audio goes down?
Power for the external interface goes off?
....?

I never had this problem with my earlier MBP and SL. 

Anybody?

Reply #1
I'm not a MAC user...

, and during recording I plug in the power cable, there is a complete zero input for one second or so
I guess you should plug-in power before you start.   

Computers are the least reliable things we own.    So if if you are recording anything critical where there's no chance for "take two", and you are using a computer as a recording device, I always recommend recording with a 2nd device in parallel.  (The backup recorder doesn't have to be another computer.)

Reply #2
I'm not a MAC user...

, and during recording I plug in the power cable, there is a complete zero input for one second or so
I guess you should plug-in power before you start.   

Computers are the least reliable things we own.    So if if you are recording anything critical where there's no chance for "take two", and you are using a computer as a recording device, I always recommend recording with a 2nd device in parallel.  (The backup recorder doesn't have to be another computer.)

Case in point being recordings of bands and choirs that are made for regional academic competitions. The standard in this part of the world is to make two concurrent recordings of every event.

One set of microphones, one mic preamp, but two recorders.

One is usually an audio CD recorder that runs in real time, and the other is a stand alone modern backup digital recorder that records to flash memory. 

If there is bad CD media (infrequent) , or a human error (more frequent), a CD is burned from the backup system. I do the recoveries with a laptop that reads the flash media and burns audio CDs.