Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RAM Disk and playlist interaction, playback queue, star rating (Read 2397 times) previous topic - next topic

RAM Disk and playlist interaction, playback queue, star rating

Hi,
I've been using Foobar for a while now, but although I like it's functions (the ones I understand, that is) I still find certain things about the Gui very unclear, unintuitive  -  I hope my questions can be answered:

1. RAM Disk: When adding the files of a playlist (let's say "my favorite songs" to the RAM disk, and continue to playback that very playlist then, will the normal files continue to play, or the copy in the RAM disk? And if I select from the RAM disk window "send/ add to playlist", which "Playlist" is that, then? The same as the "playback queue"? (see below)... Very confusing...

2. Why isn't there a permanently visible window for the playback queue? A list where I see what's going to be played next, and what's now - I regulary get lost in the middle of nowhere, not knowing what list ist playing at that moment.

3. Rating: Is there, meanwhile, a simple star rating feature built in, where you can click on a 5 star bar your rating with the mouse and be done, like in J.River Media Jukebox, or in every major photo management tool (like Adobe lightroom). The better programms allow assigning the value (1-5) by simply pressing the number keys 1-5. And if there is, how is it done - something simple, no complex editing required....

THank you
Bernie

Reply #1
To play a track from RAM Disk, after you send/add it to RAM Disk from a playlist either play it from within the 'RAM-Disk Content' pop up window, or send/add it from the pop up window to a playlist. It sends/adds to the active playlist. If you send/add to RAM Disk but play the track in the playlist window you sent it from foobar plays the track from the harddrive. The track 'properties' window will tell you whether a track in a playlist is sourced from RAM Disk for from a harddrive.

Reply #2
What is the difference between "Send to Ram-Disk" and "Add to Ram-Disk" ? Seems sort of confusing and redundant to have two buttons that do the same thing?
Couldn't there possibly be some way to have one singular button that would "Load selected items to Ramdisk and replace current playlist with Ramdisk elements".
It would also be nice to have some sort of automatic way (or atleast one-click) to always pre-load and play things from Ramdisk automatically.

Reply #3
What is the difference between "Send to Ram-Disk" and "Add to Ram-Disk" ? Seems sort of confusing and redundant to have two buttons that do the same thing?
Couldn't there possibly be some way to have one singular button that would "Load selected items to Ramdisk and replace current playlist with Ramdisk elements".
It would also be nice to have some sort of automatic way (or atleast one-click) to always pre-load and play things from Ramdisk automatically.

"Send to" RAM Disk replaces all content (of that disk) with new content, "add to" just adds it to. Replacing it by RAM disk content does not make too much sense, because after restart the RAM disk is deleted, and your playlist won't play anymore. An yes, reloading the RAM disk content or replacing the current one by the new one in the playlist would be nice.

What I find more confusing is words like "playlist" and "Playback queue" - plus the fact that there doesn't seem to be a window that shows in any situation what's playing back.

Reply #4
Got it. So what would be perfect would be a singular Toolbar button that would perform "Send to Ram-Disk" (from Foobar2000 window ) and "Send to Playlist" (from Ram-Disk Content screen). And then also start playing the first song loaded in the playlist. All in one click. The button could be called "Play from Ramdisk".

Reply #5
All in one click. The button could be called "Play from Ramdisk".

Very good idea, that would bring some simplicity and clarity into the confusing Gui of Foobar.