Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.2.1 released (Read 132470 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #75
What I found was that Foobar 9.4 wouldn't play the FLAC 1.2.1 file correctly -- it would cut off after some interval (different for different tracks).    THis is not the distortion problem noted for v9.5; I haven't heard that.

But Winamp plays the same file completely, with no audible issues.

Using FLAC 1.1.4 instead allowed foobar 9.4 to play the files through with no problem.

So, I concluded that f2K 9.4 has a problem with 24-bit files compressed with Flac 1.2.1.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #76
No problem here, with FLAC 1.2.1 and a 24bit/96kHz stereo file.
flac -t says the file is OK, and I can play it back fine.

vs.

What I found was that Foobar 9.4 wouldn't play the FLAC 1.2.1 file correctly -- it would cut off after some interval (different for different tracks).    THis is not the distortion problem noted for v9.5; I haven't heard that.

But Winamp plays the same file completely, with no audible issues.

Using FLAC 1.1.4 instead allowed foobar 9.4 to play the files through with no problem.

So, I concluded that f2K 9.4 has a problem with 24-bit files compressed with Flac 1.2.1.

If i remember right, FLAC 1.2.x has introduced new rice codes to more efficiently code big residuals. Earlier decoders most probably can't decode files using those codes.

If those codes are beeing used depends on the size of the residuals and this size may depend on bit depth, amplitude and predictability of the signal to compress.

The residuals for 24bit/96kHz are often quite small, therefore it's possible that the new codes have not been used in skamp's file. -> No compatibilty problems.

krabapple' file may contain some parts with big residuals where the encoder has deceided to use the new bit codes. Old decoders can playback until the first passage containing those new incompatible codes.

Just my 2 cents.

Thomas

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #77
the --replay-gain + (no padding) fix will be in 1.2.2 which is probably a month away.

I was just curious when version 1.2.2 might be released?

Obviously, the timetable here must have changed. Just wondering, thanks.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #78
Yeah, I was kind of wondering that myself...

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #79
sorry, such is the way for some open-source projects.  I've been swamped at my day job since then and some new things have been added (recently checked in support for rf64 and wave64, and native win64 builds, needed by key customers).  when I get enough time for a release I will put it out but can't say when it will be now.