Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wrong channel mapping for 6.1 (7 channels) (Read 16969 times) previous topic - next topic

Wrong channel mapping for 6.1 (7 channels)

I’ve been using oggenc2 and oggdec for a while now and came across what I think are still bugs, or channel mapping error.

The issue is wrong channel mapping with 7 channels (6.1).
I made some tests with 4, 5 and 6 channels and it works well.

My test procedure was to create a wav file with 4, 5, 6 and 7 channels (with Audacity), encode it with oggenc2 and then decoding it with oggdec.
For 4, 5 and 6 channels, the tracks are back to the position they were originally and, in the middle or the process, the ogg file respects the Ogg Vorbis I Definition.

But with 7 channels, they are messed up.
If we had 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.wav, the encoding followed by decoding would render 1 2 3 7 5 4 6.wav

Looking into each function individually, I think they both do not comply with the Ogg Vorbis I definition!

If we had 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.wav, oggenc2 would give 1 3 2 6 7 5 4.ogg, where it should be 1 3 2 5 6 7 4.ogg.

And oggdec remaps the channels the wrong way.
If we has 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.ogg, it would give 1 3 2 5 6 7 4.wav, where it should give 1 3 2 7 4 5 6.wav

I'm using
Windows 7,
Audacity 2.0.5,
OggEnc v2.87 (libvorbis 1.3.3) (as in oggenc2.exe),
OggDec v1.9.7 (libVorbis 1.3.1) Compiled on: Mar 29 2010

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Muxson

Reply #1
Looking into each function individually, I think they both do not comply with the Ogg Vorbis I definition!

If we had 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.wav, oggenc2 would give 1 3 2 6 7 5 4.ogg, where it should be 1 3 2 5 6 7 4.ogg.

If we has 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.ogg, it would give 1 3 2 5 6 7 4.wav, where it should give 1 3 2 7 4 5 6.wav

Could you please explain why you think this is wrong? oggenc seems to do fine, but maybe I missed something?

The usual way of mapping in WAV, AFAIK, is like the FLAC format does it: front left, front right, front center, LFE, back center, side left, side right
The way of OGG mapping is, as specified: front left, center, front right, side left, side right, rear center, LFE

So, when converting the first spec to the second, you'd get 1 3 2 6 7 5 4, just like oggenc 2 did. Reversing the process would give you 1 3 2 7 6 4 5, which is neither of the two. You're sure you did the numbers all right?
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #2
Thanks for your input ktf.
I wish I could agree with you when you say:

The usual way of mapping in WAV, AFAIK, is like the FLAC format does it: front left, front right, front center, LFE, back center, side left, side right

If you look at the Wave spec , you will see that that mapping is Front Left - FL, Front Right - FR, Front Center - FC, Low Frequency - LF, Back Left - BL, Back Right - BR, Front Left of Center - FLC, Front Right of Center - FRC, Back Center - BC, Side Left - SL, Side Right - SR, Top ...

If we have only 7 channels, I assume we can call then FL, FR, FC, LFE, BL, BR, Back Center - BC.
So, as you see, it is not like FLAC (FL, FR, FC, LFE, BC, BL, BR)

You are right on this one:

The way of OGG mapping is, as specified: front left, center, front right, side left, side right, rear center, LFE

But,

So, when converting the first spec to the second, you'd get 1 3 2 6 7 5 4, just like oggenc 2 did.

yes, this is what I get.
It would be right if the Wave mapping was the same as FLAC, but it's not, and that is the problem.

You're sure you did the numbers all right?

Yes, I'm.

Please have a look at the illustration attached.

Reply #3
And that was only talking about oggenc...

Here is an illustration about mapping for encoding and decoding.
That makes it easy to see what I mean by
oggdec remaps the channels the wrong way.

Reply #4
@Muxson
Why do you feed FL-FR-FC-LF-BL-BR-BC to oggenc when the spec clearly says "side left" and "side right"?
In the Microsoft WAV layout, it will be FL-FR-FC-LF-BC-SL-SR, not FL-FR-FC-LF-BL-BR-BC.

Of course it would be nice if oggenc recognizes both layouts and takes care of order difference when input layout is given by dwChannelMask field.

Reply #5
Of course it would be nice if oggenc recognizes both layouts and takes care of order difference when input layout is given by dwChannelMask field.

Maybe it does, maybe the dwChannelMask field specifies side left and right. I don't know what Audacity saves to by default.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #6
Yes, you are right nu774, side is not back.

But in my original post, I spoke about channel number, not spacial distribution.
The reason is because I'm using Ogg Vorbis to encapsulate 6 discrete channels. And because LFE is not keeping the full spectrum (for a good reason), I'm using 7 channels and disregard LFE.

So, for that specific application, I need the have the channels back to their original position.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7.wav > oggenc | oggdec = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.wav
That is not the case yet and I don't see a good explanation why.
Therefore I think it is a mapping error as I demonstrated earlier.

By the way, I found a way around the problem (SoX remix)... (just so the discussion remains focused!)

Now, nu774, could you help me find where Microsoft defines WAV as FL-FR-FC-LF-BC-SL-SR?
All I could find I documented in earlier posts.
In the Microsoft WAV layout, it will be FL-FR-FC-LF-BC-SL-SR, not FL-FR-FC-LF-BL-BR-BC.

If what you say is true, then it would explain the oggenc mapping. But what is true??

Reply #7
I don't know what Audacity saves to by default.

Audacity doesn't remap anything.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7.wav > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.ogg, no LFE filtering!
And this is true for other formats and channel number as well.

I don't know about dwChannelMask 'cause I can't read it. I'm not equipped for that...
But I suspect Audacity doesn't follow all the format specs...

Reply #8
Now, nu774, could you help me find where Microsoft defines WAV as FL-FR-FC-LF-BC-SL-SR?

Vorbis specification defines 7 ch as 6.1 surround:
"channel order: front left, center, front right, side left, side right, rear center, LFE"

And the corresponding WAV channel mask is 0x70F:
SPEAKER_FRONT_LEFT + SPEAKER_FRONT_RIGHT + SPEAKER_FRONT_CENTER + SPEAKER_LOW_FREQUENCY + SPEAKER_BACK_CENTER +
SPEAKER_SIDE_LEFT + SPEAKER_SIDE_RIGHT

Reply #9

Vorbis specification defines 7 ch as 6.1 surround:
"channel order: front left, center, front right, side left, side right, rear center, LFE"

And the corresponding WAV channel mask is 0x70F:
SPEAKER_FRONT_LEFT + SPEAKER_FRONT_RIGHT + SPEAKER_FRONT_CENTER + SPEAKER_LOW_FREQUENCY + SPEAKER_BACK_CENTER +
SPEAKER_SIDE_LEFT + SPEAKER_SIDE_RIGHT

Yes, understood.
I think my wav has a 0x07F mask, and not 0x70F.
Or no mask at all... (can that be?)
Does Audacity set masks?
How can I see what mask is in my file? (I'm not a progamer, "just" a CLI user...)

Reply #10
I think my wav has a 0x07F mask, and not 0x70F.

I doubt it... FL-FR-FC-LF-BL-BR-BC is 0x1 + 0x2 + 0x4 + 0x8 + 0x10 + 0x20 + 0x100 = 0x13F

How can I see what mask is in my file?

You can use sndfile-info.exe (from libsndfile)

Reply #11
You can use sndfile-info.exe (from libsndfile)

Wow, thanks lvqcl! You opened my eyes. Now I understand the thinking with masks.
Sorry for my ignorance... But I'm learning!

Now I have some answers.

Audacity DOES NOT add a channel mask to a multitrack wav!

SoX -M does, except for 7 ch...
for 6 ch:  0x3F (L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs)
for 7 ch: 0x0 (should not be zero)

And so does oggdec
for 6 ch: 0x3F (L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs)
for 7ch: 0x70F (L, R, C, LFE, Cs, Sl, Sr)

Following that logic, I can now review my statements made in the first post.

Correction: If we had 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.wav, oggenc2 would give 1 3 2 6 7 5 4.ogg and that is correct!

If we had 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.ogg, it would give 1 3 2 5 6 7 4.wav, where it should give 1 3 2 7 4 5 6.wav

Correction: If we had 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.ogg, oggdec should give 1 3 2 7 6 5 4.wav

Confusing? Yes it is.

Yes, nu774, you are right. I got it now.
So if I understand correctly, when oggenc sees 7 channels, it assumes the mask is 0x70F and not 0x07F, as I (wrongly) guessed.

Here is my corrected visual

Reply #12
Correction: If we had 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.ogg, oggdec should give 1 3 2 7 6 5 4.wav

Oops, sorry, correction2: If we had 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.ogg, oggdec should give 1 3 2 7 6 4 5.wav

Reply #13
New compile of oggdec v1.9.8 uploaded to Rarewars that fixes this issue. Thanks to all for bringing this to my attention and for the advice,

This also affects the decoding within oggdropXPd, and I'll fix this ASAP.

Reply #14
New compile of oggdec v1.9.8 uploaded to Rarewars that fixes this issue. Thanks to all for bringing this to my attention and for the advice,

Thank you John for the correction.

On RareWares you mention it is affecting 7 and 8 channels decoding.
I'm only using the 7 channels scheme but I thought I could as well check the 8 ch configuration.
And, lo and behold, there is an error in that one as well...

To make it easier for you, here is the fix:
src / audio.c / line 477:
Code: [Select]
int permute[8][8] = {{0}, {0,1}, {0,2,1}, {0,1,2,3}, {0,2,1,3,4}, {0,2,1,5,3,4}, {0,2,1,6,5,3,4}, {0,2,1,6,7,5,3,4}};

Should read
Code: [Select]
int permute[8][8] = {{0}, {0,1}, {0,2,1}, {0,1,2,3}, {0,2,1,3,4}, {0,2,1,5,3,4}, {0,2,1,6,5,3,4}, {0,2,1,7,5,6,3,4}};

And here is the visual to explain it:

Hope this helps...

Reply #15
Thanks again!!

New compile available at Rarewares now.

Edit: oggdropXPd correction will have to wait until next week, but I'll try to have done in the early part of the week. This will also use SoXR resampling library in place of libsamplerate.