Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Alan A. Shaw on Vinyl (Read 24126 times) previous topic - next topic

Alan A. Shaw on Vinyl

Reply #51
Greynol: No, I don't have the "second" Boxed Set.

I'm talking about the box sets (the 4CD and 2CD ones), *AND* the CSR box. Contrary to popular belief (and contrary to my initial impressions), these are essentially the same masterings. After some analysis, I came to the conclusion that there are only extremely minor tweaks between the two.

It seems to me that the 1990 remasters and the CSR box are the same (though not bit-identical), and the 4CD "Boxed set" and 2CD "Remasters" are ditto. But these two pairs do measure different. E.g. the latter Black Dog's have track gains of -5 (vs. -6.34), scoring 11 with foo_dynamic_range. Have not attempted AB'ing them. (Hardly listen to them. Prefer albums over collections.)

Edit: Written before lunch, hit post button after, now reading the old thread ... old news it seems.