Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis' logo? (Read 15642 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #1
afaik fish is is xiph.org logo and vorbis doesnt have one, so they probably grabed that one from older vorbis site.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #2
Also electronic device companies like to logo the formats they support. I suppose that makes it look more official versus some plain text looking rendition.

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #3
I remember some silly Xiph logo from a long time ago with some guy, a snake and an anvil/hammer (or sth. like that). Isn't that the real Vorbis logo?

Edit: Apparently I was right. Found it from google images and pasted below...
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #4
Oh please i rather have some non fancy small font logo then that ugly fish......

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #5
Ugly? That fish is cute

No, seriously, I support iwod in the sense that I would like a logo that clearly, unambigously, shows that a device/program/thingamajig supports Ogg Vorbis.

Any HA-ers here up to the challenge?

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #6
Maestro DVD Player described in True Audio's hardware player pages supports Ogg Vorbis.

The latter page has an "ogg vorbis" logo (all smallcase) ... is this the latest logo? Or just Neuston's rendition?

It looks nice, though... more easily understandable. (What's a fish got to do with vorbis? heh  )

a Xiphophorus is a blowfish if my memory serves me correctly, hence xiph.org or the company name.

I remember some silly Xiph logo from a long time ago with some guy, a snake and an anvil/hammer (or sth. like that). Isn't that the real Vorbis logo?

I forget what story that's from. Vorbis is the name of high-god in one Terry Pratchet's novels. Pratchett is sci fic writer, one that I am guessing Monty enjoys very much. I haven't read any of his stuff, although I heard it's really good. Before there was Vorbis their was Squish, which was suppose to be a lossless codec. I am sure the binary is still around somewhere, but compared to FLAC today it's not up to par. I like the fish a lot, it's classic.
budding I.T professional

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #8
Hello all,
most of what you're all talking about is spelt out in this page:  www.xiph.org/xiphname  .  It may also be in a wiki or two, but I haven't looked to be honest - I just went to the source (no pun intended!).
In brief, the fish in the logos is a very stylised version of a "swordtail" (have a look at a real one or a photo and you'll instantly know what I mean    ).  I also noticed the old heavy-black-lines fishes changed to new no-black-lines ones about 6-12 months ago when they changed the look of their website.  (IMHO, the old black-lines version looked cuter than the current no-lines one - more of a "fish in the headlights" look    .)  Also, in the new versions the one-fish is for Ogg, and the four-fishes is for Vorbis; IIRC in the old versions a yellow-and-cyan fish was Ogg and a orange-and-blue was Vorbis (now they're all orange-and-blue, just different sizes).
The "dude hammering a snake" thing (based on a Scandinavian myth, see the website for more) seems to be more OggSquish than Vorbis, but as the picture atici found in a previous post shows, it has been used (mistakenly?) for Vorbis in the past too.
Hope this helps and/or is of interest to someone.
rc

PS it doesn't seem to have hurt mp3's case to not have a widely-recognised logo either!
Vorbis -q3 works for me.

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #9
I kind of like Xiph's many fish logo, seen here:

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #10

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #11
If I saw that "ugly" "cute" Ogg Vorbis logo on a device in a store I'd probably shout out loud holy s**t, then do a back flip (that would be a miracle) out of joy and surprise, and then tell the sales clerk I'll buy it.

@ VEG
Did you make that new logo? I like it!

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #12
So. Can we adopt that logo? Unofficial and unauthorized it may be?

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #14

If anyone wants to continue the work on this logo, I actually have this one in Illustrator format. From Xiph back in (I think) 2001 when I wrote an article about Vorbis. That's when they started the development.

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #17
I remember seeing this logo from back in the good ol' days when Winamp 2.X was my audio player of choice (2001/02?), though if I recall correctly the "dude w/ hammer & snake" was a generic logo from the Winamp website (given to input plugins that didn't have their own logo). As .ogg wasn't supported natively by Winamp at that time, people downloading the input plugin may have come to assciate this logo with Vorbis.

Well, the Xiph web page makes it sound like it was made by them for Ogg Squish (the precursor to Vorbis) According to this page from the Xiph website:
The 'Thor-and-the-Snake' logo is drawn somewhat from Norse mythology; the real symbolism is the sine-curve shape of the snake. Thor is hefting Mjollnir about to compress the periodic signal Jörmungandr... See, it all makes sense.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #18
A good logo for an audio format should be monochromatic and devoid of too much detail.

That guarantees it'll look good silk-screened or in bas-relief printed/etched in smallish sizes (less than 1cm wide) at whatever piece of hardware. It will also look good on product manuals (that are pretty much always monochromatic).

I had that very much in mind when designing WavPack's logo. I kept looking at my PlayStation 2 and wondering if whatever I was working on would look nice next to the beautifully engraved logos at the top of the unit - DVD, Dolby, DTS, CD...

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #19
Well then the above logoset fits the requirement. To save time, here's the logoset I insert:
but personally, I dislike the stars  it's sooo... circus-like.

Yech.

But I hope this can be a starting platform to develop an ideal Ogg Vorbis logo.

BTW, to correct HotShotGG: Xiphophorus is swordfish.

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #20
It's black and white  but personally, I dislike the stars  it's sooo... circus-like.

It's horrid.

But I hope this can be a starting platform to develop an ideal Ogg Vorbis logo.

Do you guys even have any idea if Xiph is interested? I believe it is at least unpolite to go taking such initiatives without even asking the creator of the format about it. And what if they just say "thanks for the effort, it's a nice logo, but we like the current one so it'll stay"?

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #21
Ah yes forgive me. That was just a seed of thought. I don't design any of them, just posted interesting logo's here.

But anyways, I keep coming across strange logo's all over the Internet. Like this logo for Ogg Speex:

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #22

If anyone wants to continue the work on this logo, I actually have this one in Illustrator format. From Xiph back in (I think) 2001 when I wrote an article about Vorbis. That's when they started the development.

I remember seeing this logo from back in the good ol' days when Winamp 2.X was my audio player of choice (2001/02?), though if I recall correctly the "dude w/ hammer & snake" was a generic logo from the Winamp website (given to input plugins that didn't have their own logo). As .ogg wasn't supported natively by Winamp at that time, people downloading the input plugin may have come to assciate this logo with Vorbis.
[...]

No. I got this logo in Illustrator format from Xiph (Xiphophorus) before there even was a Winamp plugin.

Ogg Vorbis' logo?

Reply #23
I have a degree as a Designer. While that might not mean I would be the best man to do a proper logo, I'd like to take the challenge.

I should probably post the question at the Vorbis mailing list first, if the Xiph guys want a new logo, or not.

P.S: I liked VEG's redition, but personally I'd go for a monochromatic thing, probably.
Join //spreadopenmedia.com to promote Opus, Vorbis, FLAC, etc