Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is LAME (3.99.4) meant to give “bitstream problem” decoding freeformat (Read 4461 times) previous topic - next topic

Is LAME (3.99.4) meant to give “bitstream problem” decoding freeformat

Edit: This is FREEFORMAT, and that was supposed to be in the topic, which was truncated upon posting. Oh well.

Was just playing around with freeformat (yeah I know it's practically useless), and encoded (using the same LAME version) freeformat files of various bitrates from 128 to 640. Decoding yields the output 'bitstream problem, resyncing skipping [xxx] bytes', where xxx = 2088 for the 640. Is it supposed to do so?

By the way,  freeformat encoding isn't supposed to write headers, right? So it cannot be that it skips some odd header bits?

Reply #1
...use 3.99.5?

Reply #2
...use 3.99.5?

I read changelog before posting, but FWIW: same behaviour with 3.99.5 (rarewares build ... I think my 3.99.4 is rarewares build too).

(Edit: thx to the moderator for the smartquotes. Will try to remember that fix.)

Reply #3
(Edit: thx to the moderator for the smartquotes. Will try to remember that fix.)
No problem!  I had to shorten the wording too, though.

For reference to all: Characters such as typewriter quotes, ampersands, etc. that are reserved for special uses in HTML are therefore replaced by escape codes (e.g. &), wasting space in the 70-character limit to (sub)titles. This can be avoided by using smart (proper!) quotation marks, the plus symbol, and other symbols that aren’t reserved.

Reply #4
So it cannot be that it skips some odd header bits?

IMHO it skips the first frame that contains LAME header.