Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Am I losing resolution because of Replay Gain DSP? (Read 7782 times) previous topic - next topic

Am I losing resolution because of Replay Gain DSP?

Newbie question which I can't figure out, replay gain dsp in winamp allows me to replay gain my Monkey audio files, but how is it doing so?

It lowers the volume of songs but how is it doing it? Am I losing digital resolution because of this? Also, at what resolution is this plugin working at? When the 'replaygained' song is output to my ASIO output plugin, is it at a 'lower' digital resolution???

Reply #1
Oh nvm I found the answer here.
http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/faq_noise.html

But I still wanna know at what resolution is the Replay Gain DSP for winamp is working at? In the ideal world, it's working at 32bit before dithering down to 16/24bit ;-) Anyone knows?

kaiwei

Reply #2
what replaygain dsp in winamp? as i recall there is no such tool. am i missing something?
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #3
what replaygain dsp in winamp? as i recall there is no such tool. am i missing something?

Are you even using Winamp 3.0?

Reply #5

Are you even using Winamp 3.0?

no, not 3.0. i'm still using 2.7-something

looks like i have a lot of catching up to do

edit: how does the winamp plugin work on loseless formats (does it even work with loseless formats?)

is it loseless like mp3 or will there be rounding errors like with wave files?

p.s. - thanks for the link, kaiwei
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #6
Does this plugin work by (and I hate using the term) normalizing the gain after the input plug?  IE, nothing is done to the file itself?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #7
Nothing is done to the file itself. It stores replaygain values in a csv file then apply the gain when the song is played the second time. The first time the song is played it calculates the replaygain value.

As this is not an input plugin but a DSP plugin, it works with lossless format that doesn't support replaygain as of yet too. I've used it with Monkey's Audio files & so far it's working wonderfully.

Reply #8
The author has expressed interested in developing a 24bit version of the DSp plugin. You guys might wanna contact him for more details.