Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to burn 24/96 5.1 channel DVD audio? (Read 12552 times) previous topic - next topic

How to burn 24/96 5.1 channel DVD audio?

Greetings,

The end goal is to be able to burn a 24/96 5.1 DVD audio disc with Disc Welder Chrome. However, Disc Welder Chrome will down sample the 24/96 file to 24/48 when burning a 5.1 mix. My plan is to split an existing 24/96 5.1 WAV into separate tracks, then encode with SurCode MLP so they'll burn properly with Disc Welder Chrome. Unless I'm approaching this the wrong way?

I'm wondering if there is even a way to split the individual tracks of a 24/96 5.1 channel WAV? For instance, when ripping with DVDAExplorer, it gives you the option to merge the tracks or leave them separate. I'm wanting to do the opposite of this basically so I can encode with SurCode MLP. However, will Disc Welder Chrome still try to down sample these 5.1 MLP files to 24/48 rendering my efforts useless?

I know, lots of questions for a first time poster, but I really appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

Reply #1
Wavewizard can do channel demuxing of a multichannel WAV without touching its properties.
Get it, start it, then load your wav file with Add, go to Preferences, enable Stream manipulation and select Mono streams, output: Wave PCM, and just in case enable Ignore size in header. Then, hit Convert and the demuxing starts.
Good luck!
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #2
Excellent, thanks for the quick advice! I'll post back with the outcome this weekend.

Reply #3
NOTE - I've never made a DVD-Audio disc.

However, Disc Welder Chrome will down sample the 24/96 file to 24/48 when burning a 5.1 mix.
Uncompressed 24/96 5.1 is non-compliant... 

...Wikipedia says:
...The maximum permissible total bit rate is 9.6 Megabits per second. Channel/resolution combinations that would exceed this need to be compressed....  To store 5.1 tracks in 88.2/20, 88.2/24, 96/20 or 96/24 MLP encoding is mandatory.

However, will Disc Welder Chrome still try to down sample these 5.1 MLP files to 24/48 rendering my efforts useless?
It should not downsample compliant MLP.  And, since DiskWelder apparently doesn't have an MLP encoder, so it probably can't alter your MLP data! 

Reply #4
According to Wikipedia, 24/96/5.1 _is_ allowed with "DVD-Audio" discs.

How about "DVD Audio Tools"... http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

However, have you considered attempting to create a Blu-ray compatible DVD?  Since Blu-ray supports multichannel lossless, and can transmit it over HDMI (not just analog), that has more future than "DVD-Audio".

Reply #5
According to Wikipedia, 24/96/5.1 _is_ allowed with "DVD-Audio" discs.
  Yes, as long as it's compressed.  (And, MLP is lossless compression.)

Reply #6
However, have you considered attempting to create a Blu-ray compatible DVD?  Since Blu-ray supports multichannel lossless, and can transmit it over HDMI (not just analog), that has more future than "DVD-Audio".

Sending 5.1 lossless over HDMI is not limited to Blu-Ray, there are DVD-A/V player that can do the same. For a "BD-disc" you would need a Blu-Ray player however, so it depends on what player you want to use.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.