Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Codec choice poll

MPC
[ 218 ] (29.9%)
AAC
[ 54 ] (7.4%)
MP3 (Lame)
[ 209 ] (28.7%)
MP3 (Fhg)
[ 5 ] (0.7%)
OGG Vorbis
[ 167 ] (22.9%)
VQF
[ 3 ] (0.4%)
WMA
[ 3 ] (0.4%)
Lossless (APE, LPAC, CDDA)
[ 69 ] (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 896

Topic: Codec choice poll (Read 54117 times) previous topic - next topic

Codec choice poll

Reply #25
i voted lossless, waiting for sv8 to come out.

Codec choice poll

Reply #26
That's easy  encode castanets.wav with AAC with archive quality and with MPC with --quality 7 or 8. I'm almost sure you'll notice the difference.

Hehe, I can see the difference between them.  I followed ff123's guidlines on how to spot pre-echo (here)  The MPC has very little pre-echo, and the AAC has it for the same length of time (3ms) but it's a lot louder.

No way could I hear the difference in them!  So I made it a bit fairer on me and encoded them in -normal and what's it, -q5.  AAC = 185kbs MPC = 193kbs

from ABCH :
Code: [Select]
ABC/HR Version 0.9b, 30 August 2002
Testname:

1L = C:\X_AUDIO\castanetsaac185.wav
2L = C:\X_AUDIO\castanetsmpc193.wav

---------------------------------------
General Comments:

1R File: C:\X_AUDIO\castanets.wav
1R Rating: 4.9
1R Comment: just a guess!
2L File: C:\X_AUDIO\castanetsmpc193.wav
2L Rating: 4.0
2L Comment: first 3 single castas sound a bit more reverbey?
ABX Results: (3.6 -> 6.3 seconds in the file, the reverb and guitar ending)
Original vs C:\X_AUDIO\castanetsaac185.wav
   4 out of 5, pval = 0.188
Original vs C:\X_AUDIO\castanetsmpc193.wav
   7 out of 11, pval = 0.274

ABX Results:  (0.8 -> 1.5 seconds, the 3/4 single casters)
   5 out of 10, pval = 0.623
   3 out of 10, pval = 0.945

ABX Results:  (the whole file)

Erm... well I think that proves conclusively I can't tell a difference!
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Codec choice poll

Reply #28
lets not forget this thread
cast your votes please

I get "You have already voted in this poll" ??? I didn't vote yet.

Codec choice poll

Reply #29
Any chance we could start a Codec Choice 2002 poll?  I tried but don't have permission to start a poll  .

I suspect there are a few converts to Ogg since Vorbis 1.0's release and at least one member who has given up on MPC altogether!  I'm pretty sure the VQF choice can be removed (that guy has surely moved on to mp3PRO...) but I'd leave WMA on just for a laugh.

Anyone else for a new poll?
Yeah, when you call my name
I salivate like a Pavlov dog...

Codec choice poll

Reply #30
Any chance we could start a Codec Choice 2002 poll?  I tried but don't have permission to start a poll  .

I suspect there are a few converts to Ogg since Vorbis 1.0's release and at least one member who has given up on MPC altogether!  I'm pretty sure the VQF choice can be removed (that guy has surely moved on to mp3PRO...) but I'd leave WMA on just for a laugh.

Anyone else for a new poll?

I think they should also state the reason for choice, maybe what they would like added to the format, bitrate/profile. Add something diffrent otherwise it's just more of the same.

Codec choice poll

Reply #31
I've been playing around with Ogg Vorbis for the past couple days, and I have just become a huge fan of it.  I had tried it pre-1.0 and I wasn't very impressed at all, but it seems there have been some great leaps and bounds in psychoacoustic tuning since then.

I'm just a guy who went from LAME 192S -> MPC -extreme -> MPC -standard -> LAME -aps -> Ogg Vorbis -q 4

(I think it's a logical progression from wanting to be a poseur computer audiophile to getting back to the basics of just listening to music for music's sake)

In just a few test encodings of a few albums, I have to say the Vorbis 1.0 encoder at just a 128kbps nominal bitrate is very damn close to LAME -aps of about 180-200kbps (though I seem to hear a slightly better stereo separation in Ogg).  And with the default support of Ogg Vorbis decoding in the recent releases of Winamp, and the hopeful iRiver hardware support, it beats MPC in mass market penetration and acceptance.

I'm on the bandwagon!  Woohoo!  Go Ogg!

Codec choice poll

Reply #32
Okay, folks... Last time.

Ogg is not a codec. Ogg is a multimedia framework in which you put things encoded with codecs. For example, you use Vorbis (a codec) to perform lossy compression on audio, and then you put that encoded data inside Ogg (the framework), and you get an 'Ogg Vorbis' file. Huzzah. Just repeat 'Ogg is not a codec' over and over to yourself when you go to sleep tonight. Think of 'Ogg' the same way you think of 'QuickTime,' and you'll start to understand a little bit of how it breaks down.

Let's say you have a collector's tin of Xiph.org commemorative action figures. There are a few action figures in the tin. One action figure is named 'Vorbis,' another one is named 'Speex,' and another one is named 'Theora.' The action figures go in the collector's tin. The tin is called 'Ogg.' It's a container. Like a box of girl scout cookies. Like an envelope from your Aunt Martha. Things go inside Ogg. Ogg is not a codec.

Emmett Plant
CEO, Xiph.org Foundation

Codec choice poll

Reply #33
Think of 'Ogg' the same way you think of 'QuickTime,' and you'll start to understand a little bit of how it breaks down.

Is it just me or is this not the best way to promote Ogg? Every time I think of QuickTime I feel like gouging my eyes out with dull kitchen implements and carpet-bombing Apple HQ with books on good UI design 

Codec choice poll

Reply #34
I think after saying "I've been playing around with Ogg Vorbis v1.0" it's safe to say "Go Ogg" without that being interpreted as meaning "Go the possibility of MPC wrapped in an Ogg container"

Lol!  Nitpicking puts me off

Codec choice poll

Reply #35
Aww, I really didn't mean to nitpick. It's just important because Ogg is bigger than just 'a container for Vorbis.' It's kinda like defining 'The Beatles' by calling it 'Ringo's Band.'

Emmett Plant
CEO, Xiph.org Foundation

Codec choice poll

Reply #36
Well, imo the correct names should be used like Emmett said. It's especially important now that there starts to be more codecs in Ogg container besides Vorbis.

Probably all people writing in this thread knew the difference, but some still use the shorter "Ogg". People probably woudn't take it as nitpicking, if it is just said that it's important that the proper codec name should be used. I don't think people here used "ogg" because they didn't know better..
However, even if it was understandable (although wrong) before, today "ogg" shouldn't be used anymore when talking about Vorbis..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Codec choice poll

Reply #37
I'll sit quietly feeling belittled now

Am I right in thinking it would be the same mistake as saying I listen to MP4 audio.. as it's really AAC converted to the MP4 headers, but you can stuff things like videos, images & mp3's in there?

Codec choice poll

Reply #38
Am I right in thinking it would be the same mistake as saying I listen to MP4 audio.. as it's really AAC converted to the MP4 headers, but you can stuff things like videos, images & mp3's in there?

MP4 audio can be AAC (in all it's innumerable forms), TwinVQ, CELP, MP1, MP2, MP3, SA...

Codec choice poll

Reply #39

MP4 audio can be AAC (in all it's innumerable forms), TwinVQ, CELP, MP1, MP2, MP3, SA...

So how do you know exactly what's inside the container?

Codec choice poll

Reply #40
So how do you know exactly what's inside the container?

One way would be using MP4creator, by MPEG4ip. (available at RareWares)

mp4creator -list filename.mp4

The output is detailed information on the streams contained in that MP4 file.

Codec choice poll

Reply #41
roberto, are you sure about MP2 and MP1 being in MPEG4 specs for MP4 container ? First time i hear ....

Codec choice poll

Reply #42
We should start this poll over again.  I voted for Ogg Vorbis but have switched to Musepack.

Codec choice poll

Reply #43
Although I voted for MPC I am still using Lame MP3, OGG, and MPC.

In fact I just finished encoding all of my CD's and there is roughly a 33% split between the formats; 33% mpc, 33% ogg, and 33% Lame mp3.

Codec choice poll

Reply #44
1. lossless is lossles and NOTHING better can be achieved...
2.HD, memory, network speed are getting bigger and wider...

Why trying to achieve something that will be very soon obsolet?

Go lossless and don't bother!!!

ps: what was the size of your HD the first time you started to store MP3???

Codec choice poll

Reply #45
ps: what was the size of your HD the first time you started to store MP3???

too small
If I would switch to lossless I would have that same problem again
--
Ge Someone
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Codec choice poll

Reply #46
I voted for MPC myself. I agree with the concept of moving towards lossless though. I started encoding MP3s when I had a 2.1GB hard drive. Now that I have 40GB I still have feelings of 'I must keep the bitrate low to save space' even though I have enough free drive space.  Anyone else feel like this? How do I overcome this? Hehe...  Small Bit-raters Anonymous?

"Hi, I'm Chris and I encode at 128kbps." 

Codec choice poll

Reply #47
roberto, are you sure about MP2 and MP1 being in MPEG4 specs for MP4 container ? First time i hear ....

Audio Track types in MP4 file:

/* MP4 Audio track types - see MP4AddAudioTrack()*/
#define MP4_INVALID_AUDIO_TYPE                  0x00
#define MP4_MPEG1_AUDIO_TYPE                    0x6B
#define MP4_MPEG2_AUDIO_TYPE                    0x69
#define MP4_MP3_AUDIO_TYPE                              MP4_MPEG2_AUDIO_TYPE
#define MP4_MPEG2_AAC_MAIN_AUDIO_TYPE  0x66
#define MP4_MPEG2_AAC_LC_AUDIO_TYPE            0x67
#define MP4_MPEG2_AAC_SSR_AUDIO_TYPE    0x68
#define MP4_MPEG2_AAC_AUDIO_TYPE                MP4_MPEG2_AAC_MAIN_AUDIO_TYPE
#define MP4_MPEG4_AUDIO_TYPE                    0x40
#define MP4_PRIVATE_AUDIO_TYPE                  0xC0