Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Autoselect highest quality file? (Read 3667 times) previous topic - next topic

Autoselect highest quality file?

Let me explain my problem: I have quite some songs in both MP3 and FLAC format. Ofcourse when I play from my computer I want to play the flac files (even though the MP3 for the same song is also on my disk), but I need the MP3 files to stream them to my tablet/play on my mp3 player etc.
I would like foobar2000 to automatically select the flac file for the songs that I have in flac format and choose whatever's available for the rest of my library. Is there a component/feature in foobar2000 that can do this for me?

edit: is this possible with "foo_skip" setting a query like "If a file exists in the FLAC format and this file is not in FLAC format, skip this file"? Or maybe there is some plugin that can filter the library using the same kind of query.

Reply #1
I would like foobar2000 to automatically select the flac file for the songs that I have in flac format and choose whatever's available for the rest of my library. Is there a component/feature in foobar2000 that can do this for me?

Autoplaylist with: "$info(encoding)" IS lossless
or Autoplaylist with: NOT %codec% IS MP3

Reply #2

Autoplaylist with: "$info(encoding)" IS lossless
or Autoplaylist with: NOT %codec% IS MP3

I can't seem to find this feature in foobar 2000 v1.2.2. I also believe that this feature won't do all I need. Will autoplaylist make it possible to just drag an album from my media library to a playlist and then not have it select/play the files that are in MP3 format, exept if I have no flac version of that song?

Reply #3
This problem can be solved by library management. Example:

- path to my FLAC library is D:\Media\FLAC\...
- path to my duplicated MP3 is D:\Media\MP3\...
- path to my unique MP3, M4A etc (those with no FLAC copies ie bought on iTunes/eMusic etc) is D:\Media\Other\...

All I do is NOT add D:\Media\MP3 to the library - I just add the other 2 paths. The other advantage of this approach is that there should be an exact 1-to-1 correspondence with the files in \FLAC and \MP3 - so if there is not, you have forgotten to convert some FLAC to MP3.

Reply #4
I have now followed Midiman's suggestion and after placing all folders in de correct folder(Flac, Normal, Duplicates) it now works great  Thanks for the help!
I might write a batch script that fixes this later.

Reply #6
I have quite some songs in both MP3 and FLAC format. […] I would like foobar2000 to automatically select the flac file for the songs that I have in flac format and choose whatever's available for the rest of my library. Is there a component/feature in foobar2000 that can do this for me? […] maybe there is some plugin that can filter the library using the same kind of query.
Try the recently released foo_bestversion. I haven’t seen any feedback on it, so I’m sure the author would appreciate it.

Reply #7
^the OP hasn't been since january. it looks like EpicForever just randomly bumped the thread. besides the OP has already followed what i think is better advice. transcodes from your own lossless files should never be monitored as part of your main library. why would anyone do this? all my lossless>lossy files go straight on my portable. i'd rather re-encode should the need arise rather than store any on my pc.

if that component can help people tidy up their collection by finding duplicates then that is a good thing.

Reply #8
transcodes from your own lossless files should never be monitored as part of your main library.

You sound like there was technical reason for not doing this - file system issues, stability issues, resources issues or whatever. There are no reasons not to do this. This is just personal choice. My is based on my vision of my library and playlist contents . Your vision is just different

transcodes (...) main library. why would anyone do this?

Why? Because I simply want to have every music file from my PC available in my library. Not exactly for purposes of listening to it on PC, but just to easily find it via Search option and maybe export to some portable device? Other thing is that I like my folders structure and definitely don't want to change it. That's why I found my own workaround

Reply #9
i suppose in the case of having multiple portable devices it might be an idea to keep copies on the PC. i hadn't considered that, only owning the one device. i still wouldn't monitor it as part of my foobar library though.