Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is LAME reenterable? (Read 3998 times) previous topic - next topic

Is LAME reenterable?

Greetings.

I am experimenting with Lame from programming point of view, and having wierd results. I have a question - is LAME reenterable, meaning, does it store anything in its inner variables, and can i encode/decode multiple files at once (if i keep multiple global lame structure instances of course)

Is LAME reenterable?

Reply #1
what functions do you use?

Is LAME reenterable?

Reply #2
Well, i basically do the same that command line utility does (one that comes with lame) - i use lame_init, i set different parameters, then i use the encode/decode functions in a loop, then close.

Is LAME reenterable?

Reply #3
I found out, the decoder supplied with LAME was actually non-reentrable, not LAME encoder.

In layer3.c at 1645 it reads:

struct III_sideinfo sideinfo;

So, a global variable is declared, and if multiple decodings are attempted at once, chaos ensues.

Is LAME reenterable?

Reply #4
IIRC lame_decode_* functions aren't thread-safe, but hip_decode_* are.

In layer3.c at 1645 it reads:

What version do you use?

Is LAME reenterable?

Reply #5
I couldn't find any version with that text at line 1645. Anyway, version 3.99.5 should be OK to use, as I fixed that issue during the 3.99 development.

Is LAME reenterable?

Reply #6
lvqcl, thanks, is there any official information about thread-safeness of LAME?

Robert, thanks alot. 

I think what you mean is that my number at which struct III_sideinfo sideinfo; occurs is different, thats because as i said, i was experimenting, so i could've added some code over that line.

I think i'll just apply those changes i am missing since my version and see if they help.