Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_upnp (Read 1627460 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_upnp

Reply #1875
Can some one point out why I would use this over the UPNP plugin and BubbleUPNP server? Or is it suppose to be used in tandem with these things?

foo_upnp

Reply #1876
Hey there,

I've found some kind of solution (not really a solution but a workaround) for my specific issue.

I have only one question for which I haven't found any exlpanation so far on this forum. I successfully stream my mp3 music files to my Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR from my Windows 7 operated notebook via WLAN. The only thing that doesn't work is streaming AAC files (*.m4a). When I have mp3 and m4a in my controller playback queue, the music plays continously until the first AAC file and stops. I've tried several settings in the streaming profile section but have not yet found any setting that works.

The Onkyo AVR should be able to decode AAC natively since I can send the file via the Windows 7 "play on ...." function. Why doesn't it work from fb2k with UpNP? What am I doing wrong or what settings are recommended for ACC playback on my AVR (the renderer properties show that it's capable of decoding AAC).

I've set "Decoding to PCM" to "always to lpcm exept mp3" in my default streaming profile. That is still not working with the Onkyo AVR but with my Pioneer BDP-160. Well, I have to switch on another device, but it's convenient enough.

Strange thing that the Onkyo is now able to stream prepared playlists, no matter which format the music file are.

Regards Dirk

foo_upnp

Reply #1877
Apologies if this has been discussed already but foo_upnp seems to reset to default settings with an unexpected power outage. I wonder why that is (and if it somehow could be fixed) because other foobar2000 settings/components seem not to do that?

foo_upnp

Reply #1878
I hope someone could help me with this problem. I can't get remote access from the browser nor via UPnPlay Android.

1) In UPnPlay I've set the following WAN Server settings but it's not connecting:

Name: Whatever Server name
Host: DDNS address:56923
Descr: /login password (same as in foobar2000's Server > Internet Access page)
UDN: foobar2000 Media Server UDN found in the DeviceDescription.xml file
Other fields left blank

2) In the browser, when I type LANip:56923 I get an error "Not found. The requested URL was not found on this server." Same result with DDNS:56923. The foobar2000 server is running and everything is enabled under Internet Access. There is no firewall or antivirus on the HTPC running the server. Port 56923 has been opened in the router.

foo_upnp

Reply #1879
Well, the UPnPlay part I think I have (presumably) solved by cloning the LAN server settings to WAN server. However, I still can't access LANip:56923 in the browser and UPnPlay doesn't connect to the WAN server (in LAN tbere's no problem).

I'm also unsure whether foo_upnp "Internet Access" needs to be enabled for basic music streaming or if it's enough to just open the 56923 port in the router.

EDIT: Solved! UPnPlay and foo_upnp are now communicating. Found the solution in post #1232 written by bubbleguum: "change the UDN field to something else than the LAN UDN." So basically I just changed one number in the UDN to something else. 

foo_upnp

Reply #1880
Hey there,

I've found some kind of solution (not really a solution but a workaround) for my specific issue.

I have only one question for which I haven't found any exlpanation so far on this forum. I successfully stream my mp3 music files to my Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR from my Windows 7 operated notebook via WLAN. The only thing that doesn't work is streaming AAC files (*.m4a). When I have mp3 and m4a in my controller playback queue, the music plays continously until the first AAC file and stops. I've tried several settings in the streaming profile section but have not yet found any setting that works.

The Onkyo AVR should be able to decode AAC natively since I can send the file via the Windows 7 "play on ...." function. Why doesn't it work from fb2k with UpNP? What am I doing wrong or what settings are recommended for ACC playback on my AVR (the renderer properties show that it's capable of decoding AAC).

I've set "Decoding to PCM" to "always to lpcm exept mp3" in my default streaming profile. That is still not working with the Onkyo AVR but with my Pioneer BDP-160. Well, I have to switch on another device, but it's convenient enough.

Strange thing that the Onkyo is now able to stream prepared playlists, no matter which format the music file are.

Regards Dirk

I've recently set up Foobar2000 on my Windows 7 PC, and am having the same issue when trying to stream .aac and .m4a files to my Onkyo TX-NR809 and Oppo BDP-93. I can get MP3, WAV, and FLAC files to stream natively to both devices, but have to decode the AAC files to 44.1/16 PCM to get them to work. When I try to stream these natively, the Onkyo won't play them and they don't even appear in the Oppo. The AAC files play as such within Foobar and every other audio player I have on my PC. Since both the Onkyo and Oppo show as being able to accept AAC from a server, I'm guessing there's some setting or file in the foo_upnp component that needs to be tweaked. However, I can't seem to figure out what it is.

I'm running the latest firmware on both devices, and the latest version of Foobar2000 including components. The Renderer Capabilities samplerate range is 44.1 to 96 (192 on the Oppo) with a bit depth of 24. Decoding to PCM is set to “Always to Wav”, with the exceptions being mp3, wma, wav, and flac. I've removed aac and m4a from the exceptions list at this point. Would anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

foo_upnp

Reply #1881
Hi,

I'm using foo_upnp in the following setup:
- Twonky running on NAS as media server
- Roku Soundbridge M1001 as media renderer
- foobar2000 with foo_upnp
  * as media server for content stored locally on the notebook (to be played on the Soundbridge)
  * as local media renderer on the notebook (for playing media stored on Twonky)
  * and as control point
- BubbleUPnP on an Android tablet as alternate control point

Depending on my needs, this worked fine in every possible combination.

Now I can't play any music from Twonky on the Soundbridge anymore, if the playback is started from the foo_upnp control point. Soundbridge just says 'Can't play "UPnP Song'"'.
Starting the same track with the Soundbridge remote control (integrated control point) works fine, though, as well as starting the same track from BubbleUPnP.
Also, streaming music from foobar/foo_upnp media server to the Soundbridge (started in foo_upnp control point) works fine.

I'm 99% percent sure that this did in fact work until I upgraded fb2k to current version 1.3.1. Previously I used some 1.1 version as far as I remember. Parallel to the update I installed the latest Column UI and upgraded foo_upnp to version 0.99.48 (was some earlier 0.99, I think 0.99.25).
I also remember Soundbridge always displayed the correct metadata (name) for the track it was about to play instead of "UPnP Song".

Is there any known problem with the combination of current foobar2000 and foo_upnp versions?
Does anybody have a similar setup working?

foo_upnp

Reply #1882
Very nice program. Tho i have one question, is there any settings that will enable me to play music directly from clicking on it in a folder. The way i play my music is by browsing through the files in windows and the i simply double click on them. This works tho i need to press play on the file after its been added in the UPnP Controller Playback Queue, it there any way i can get it to autoplay directly?

foo_upnp

Reply #1883
Switched back to fb2k 1.1.18 and current foo_upnp 0.99.48. 1.1.8 seems to be the last version working correctly with foo_upnp.
Too bad, no one seems to care 

foo_upnp

Reply #1884
I'm using Bubble UPnP on Android to control playback on foobar2000.

-Is it possible to connect from Bubble UPnP to foobar2000 without interrupting the currently playing track when playback has been started from foobar2000? It seems that BubbleUPnP can only send commands, not receive information about the currently playing track nor populate its playlist from foobar's active playlist. It would be great though, to be able to take control of an already running playback session.
-The choice of the streaming profile seems to depend on the control point's user-agent, not the renderer. This leads foo_upnp to assume that it has to downsample audio to 44100Hz if it is rendered locally by foobar but controlled by the Android app.

foo_upnp

Reply #1885
Hello,

i tried to connect via BubbleUPnP on my android device to UPnP foobar server (Win8 version). Everything works nice on my LAN but not WAN with internet access.
I set a remote server in my BubbleUPnP settings which point to foobar server, it can connect but authentification failed! Login/password are ok in both sides.

Whats wrong?

foo_upnp

Reply #1886
[quote name='bubbleguuum' date='Feb 20 2009, 18:57' post='616680']
Download latest version of plugin 0.99.48 [BETA] [Changelog]
Documentation (work in progress)

Media Server Browser (UPnP Browser)
  • browse remote Media Servers for local playback or remote playback to an UPnP Renderer on the network
  • browse and play music via the Internet from another foo_upnp Media Server, with optional transcoding to mp3 to save bandwidth
  • retrieve album art

I'm confused. I've installed this plugin but can't get foobar to see any twonky, Asset or Logitech media servers, all of which should be findable on my wireless network. Am I missing something?

foo_upnp

Reply #1887
I just learned about this at the AVS Forum thread on UPnP/DLNA streaming. I'm using an Oppo BDP-93 with oShare running on my to PC to let the Oppo browse my music library (the 93 is not a renderer - it can pull but not be pushed to), but I can't get gapless playback with this arrangement other than by creating a combined file.

I heard there about your plugin for Foobar 2000 being a solution for this - so I downloaded version 1.3.1 of Foobar2000 and your plugin, but what I got was not called foo-upnp.dll but foo_upnp.fb2k-component - and simply renaming it to foo-upnp.dll just gets a complaint from Foobar 2000 that it couldn't load it because it's an unsupported format or corrupted file.

What do I need to do with foo_upnp.fb2k-component to get the working dll?

foo_upnp

Reply #1888
I just learned about this at the AVS Forum thread on UPnP/DLNA streaming. I'm using an Oppo BDP-93 with oShare running on my to PC to let the Oppo browse my music library (the 93 is not a renderer - it can pull but not be pushed to), but I can't get gapless playback with this arrangement other than by creating a combined file.

I heard there about your plugin for Foobar 2000 being a solution for this - so I downloaded version 1.3.1 of Foobar2000 and your plugin, but what I got was not called foo-upnp.dll but foo_upnp.fb2k-component - and simply renaming it to foo-upnp.dll just gets a complaint from Foobar 2000 that it couldn't load it because it's an unsupported format or corrupted file.

What I did was leave the file name as it was when downloaded and install the component using foobar.  Doesn't that work?

foo_upnp

Reply #1889

What I did was leave the file name as it was when downloaded and install the component using foobar.  Doesn't that work?

That worked: I clicked the install button on Foobar's Components page, and pointed the file browser it brought up at the downloaded file. Foobar then asked if it should apply changes and restart. So I clicked Apply - it quit, and when nothing else happened I restarted it manually, navigated back to that page and it was there.

So the installation instructions in foo_upnp's documentation file need to be completely rewritten.

Here's what that section says, in full:
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Installation
============

Just copy foo_upnp.dll in the components subdirectory of your foobar2000 installation and restart foobar2000.
If loaded, the plugin will appear in File->Preference->Components, with the version number.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

As I am not familiar with Foobar, these instructions led me completely astray.

foo_upnp

Reply #1890
Just copy foo_upnp.dll in the components subdirectory of your foobar2000 installation and restart foobar2000.

Actually it's better if you never do that and install them from the normal Components window. Components that are in that folder are included in the foobar2000 setup and get never checked for updates.

foo_upnp

Reply #1891
After reading the FAQ I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this.

It would seem that Media Server functionality is ground-level stuff that ought to be documented before the more sophisticated stuff like pushing to renderers and browsing from one Foobar to another.

And my pet peeve of pet peeves is the insistence of most media servers on forcing users to use tags rather than folder structures to get at their media. I use "junction" folders - essentially aliases - to file albums in multiple places with only one actual copy of the music needed: I can file by bandleader, by well-known players, and by composers. There are many albums that I file under the names of multiple people.

This is essentially applying "relational database" thinking to filing music tracks. Go explore the AllMusic web site, which is organized similarly to IMDB, to get an idea of how many people are associated with an album and are legitimate entry points to find it.

So - what happens when a library set up using junction folders is served up by reference to tags?

Each track from a cross-filed album shows up in the list multiple times before going on to the next track!

That's no way to listen to an album.

As an inevitable result, any media server that does not support browsing by folder is useless to anyone who uses junctions to  cross-file their music.

foo_upnp

Reply #1892
Not being one to toss aside a potentially-useful tool just because it doesn't fit my preconceptions, I did an experiment.

I had Foobar add my source folder tree (as opposed to my index folder tree) to its library and saw that it at least seems to keep albums in playable sequence.

I decided to use it as an internet server transcoding to mp3 for listening remotely with my phone. That's something that the visually-beautiful Plex has scorned doing for audio, though Plex does downsample video for phones.

Orb had that ability, but it never worked with my Android phone, even though it did with my old Windows Mobile phone.

I keep my library in FLAC, to avoid quality loss, but it's too expensive to stream that over my phone. foo_upnp's ability to transcode to mp3 on the fly avoids having to create separate mp3 copies of everything.

It's a real kludge, but here's what I'm doing:

1) I use bVNC on my Android phone to connect to my UltraVNC server on my PC to bring up Foobar.

2) I use the shortcut I've created in Firefox on the phone to log in to the foo_upnp stream.

3) Once that's running, I go back to my bVNC session and and find the album I want to listen to using Foobar's search function, or by scrolling down the list (I've set Foobar to Artist/Album format) and start the album running.

At that point I can turn off the screen and put the phone in my pocket -  or into its windshield mount - and listen either through my headset when walking or through my car stereo when driving.

I've successfully had this setup transcode to mp3 everything from standard CD rips to 192/24 downloads.

I would like to know what bitrate foo_upnp is using - it sounds very good. Does it vary according to the client's capability - cellphone data versus wifi?

foo_upnp

Reply #1893
I would like to know what bitrate foo_upnp is using - it sounds very good. Does it vary according to the client's capability - cellphone data versus wifi?

You should be able to configure the bit rate.  If you go to File, Preferences, look at Tools, UPnP, Server, Streaming Profiles.  There's a section on Transcoding to MP3.

foo_upnp

Reply #1894

You should be able to configure the bit rate.  If you go to File, Preferences, look at Tools, UPnP, Server, Streaming Profiles.  There's a section on Transcoding to MP3.

Thanks! I'm a 5.1 96 (or 192)/24 guy in my listening room, but I find that for walk-around, and drive-around, listening through my phone, 96kbps mp3 is the "sweet spot" - capable of 44khz-sampled stereo but also less susceptible to "buffering dropouts" from cell-tower handoffs, and less-expensive when it comes to bandwidth than higher bit rates. The 320kbps foo_upnp comes set to by default sounds excellent but isn't optimal for those reasons.

PS I see that keeping foobar2k and foo_upnp running is not very resource-hungry, so I can just tap on my shortcut to start the stream player and then use bVNC to choose what I want to listen to.

PPS I do run across repeated tracks when I choose a cross-filed album - I'm not sure how I'll work around that.

foo_upnp

Reply #1895
Even though I try to avoid Windows, foobar2000 is essential for me, so I run it under Wine on Linux.  There's a load of things it can do easily that other tools either can't do or struggle with.  Playing FLACS gapless via UPnP is just one.

Another UPnP server I've had some success with is MinimServer, but that's mainly because it has a very good UI using standard and custom FLACS tags.  I don't know what it would make of your folder-based indexing method (which I have to admit had never occurred to me - I might have saved a lot of time in  setting up non-standard tags for classical music).

foo_upnp

Reply #1896
Hooray-ooray-ooray!

I just found how to browse by folder inside of Foobar! (At the bottom of the Album List, you choose View: by folder structure.)

That solves the problem of repeating tracks caused by my junction-based index system.

Now if it were possible to do that from a standard UPnP client - like my Oppo - rather than by remote-controlling Foobar, I'd use it in my listening room instead of oShare.

As it is, it'll be my "home-away-from-home" server.

PS The next tip I'll give you is to make up a folder heirarchy like this:

"My Music Index" - Sub-folders:
"A - G"
"H - M"
"N - S"
"T - Z"

Under "A - G" you set up a subfolder for each of those letters, and so on.

That way, you aren't scrolling down an endless list all the time, but drilling down through the heirarchy, which is much quicker. When an individual letter's list gets very long, you can subdivide it the way an encyclopedia does: "S-Sn" "So-Sz"

Foobar has finished importing my Music Index folder, which I'll use instead of my Music Library (the source folders), because the Index has all of my cross-referencing set up.

At 1280x960, I can keep open all of the "letter range" folders, so that the individual letters are all there to be seen at once. Much less drilling needed this way.

foo_upnp

Reply #1897
And right next to the View by box at the bottom is a search box! I'm in heaven!

foo_upnp

Reply #1898
And right next to the View by box at the bottom is a search box! I'm in heaven!

My Classical music is filed by Composer 1st letter, composer, work and main artist.  What this doesn't do is cross-index the flacs, but my tags do that well enough.

Foobar really is rather good  I have a load of different filters set up to filter by various combinations of standard and custom tags, and can do exactly what I want.  Foobar is almost unique in that respect.

I also have an old laptop that I sometimes use as a controller of my remote foobar UPnP server.  This acts is a backup for my Logitech Squeezebox system.

foo_upnp

Reply #1899
I'm hoping that when I connect to the foo_upnp server from my Oppo, that it will see my folders and let me browse and play from them - if so, I'll set up stream capture for gapless playback, and say goodbye to oShare.