Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Psytel 2.15 Encoder Question (Read 2762 times) previous topic - next topic

Psytel 2.15 Encoder Question

I'm pretty new to audio coding technology and especially to AAC encoding technique.

I did encode several PCM-based tracks (mostly Microsoft WAVE format) with Psytel 2.15 AAC Encoder.

how does it come it takes so much time to encode a file whereas it's just a question of seconds with MP3 encoder from Fraunhofer ?

Does this problem come from the technology diferences between MPEG-2 Layer III and MPEG-4 AAC or is this a question of software implementation ?

Reply #1
This is a very wrong comparison .. That's just what that Fraunhofer encoder is, an MP3 encoder,  not an AAC encoder.
I wouldn't call it a "problem".. Oh and it's "MP3G-1 Layer 3" you're talking about.
Technology differences. MPEG-4 AAC is a different technology, takes longer to encode. Ivan keeps optimising the encoder's speed, so probably it will be much faster in the future. (there won't be a newer AACEnc demo, Ivan now works at Ahead)

Reply #2
AACenc 2.15 takes longer because it's doing a better job

I think it's safe to say that at the same bitrate, AACenc will create a higher quality file than the Fraunhoffer MP3 encoder.  It's more complex, and so takes more time at the moment.
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >