IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hotto Audio Compressor & Limiter settings?
toronado455
post Feb 13 2014, 07:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 53496

I'm trying out the Hotto Audio Compressor & Limiter and don't really know what I'm doing. I've used the Yohng W1 limiter in the past, but I need something for use with streaming audio so that's why I'm trying out the Hotto software.
Here's a link to a screen shot:
http://www.hotto.de/software/audiocompressorlimiter.html

Could anyone tell me what settings would yeild the maximum effect, in other words the maximum flattening of the dynamic range?
I'm not even sure it's working properly because I'm not seeing any reading at all on the "Gain Reduction [dB]" meter.

This post has been edited by toronado455: Feb 13 2014, 07:43
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Feb 13 2014, 20:26
Post #2

Member No.: 46454

Could anyone tell me what settings would yeild the maximum effect, in other words the maximum flattening of the dynamic range?
Minimum threshold & maximum ratio.

...I doubt you really want to do THAT!!!

I installed it, but the computer I tried it on doesn't support Stereo Mix and I was unable to select any input.

...and don't really know what I'm doing.
If you want to experiment with a compressor, Audacity (FREE!!!) has one, but Audacity is an audio editor so it doesn't work on streaming audio in in real-time. Audacity also has a Leveler effect, which is a particular kind of compression, and maybe more like what you're looking for.

I think there is an application (or driver) that allows you to use VST effects in real-time but I don't remember what it's called.

Or, you can get a hardware compressor for around $100 USD.

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Feb 13 2014, 20:34
+Quote Post
toronado455
post Feb 14 2014, 10:06
Post #3

Member No.: 53496

QUOTE (DVDdoug @ Feb 13 2014, 11:26) *
Minimum threshold & maximum ratio.

...I doubt you really want to do THAT!!!

I don't think it's working properly. It's doing something, but minimun threshold & maximum ratio doesn't seem to work, and it's not showing any gain reduction on the meter and that makes me think something is wrong.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 14:33