Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Real "Mute" function instead of just lowering volume! (Read 16880 times) previous topic - next topic

Real "Mute" function instead of just lowering volume!

Reply #25
Many thanks for the "Mute" display in 0.9.6.2 Peter!

Still, when using ASIO output (1.2.6) the mute function isn't working properly! It just decreases the volume by 100dB

FIXED (1.2.7)

Reply #27
I guess it only "works" with the Default UI, Columns UI still shows -100dB.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #29
Many thanks for the "Mute" display in 0.9.6.2 Peter!

Still, when using ASIO output (1.2.6) the mute function isn't working properly! It just decreases the volume by 100dB

what mute display?
i dont see it

Reply #30
what mute display?
i dont see it

In the status bar. Now we get "Mute" instead of "-100dB" displayed on mute.

But when using the ASIO output, mute only decreases the volume by 100dB instead of say about -144dB (which would be a real mute on 24bit soundcards). Why is this? Nobody can answer to that?

FIXED (1.2.7)

Reply #31
what mute display?
i dont see it

In the status bar. Now we get "Mute" instead of "-100dB" displayed on mute.

But when using the ASIO output, mute only decreases the volume by 100dB instead of say about -144dB (which would be a real mute on 24bit soundcards). Why is this? Nobody can answer to that?

-144 dB would not be a real mute if the 24-bit audio is properly dithered from 32-bit float because the dither noise is spread over the whole audio spectrum, meaning that signals could still be distinguished. However, this is only a technical matter as the LSB of 24-bit is well below the thermal noise floor of any line-level electronics unless your DAC is cryogenically cooled!
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #32
-144 dB would not be a real mute if the 24-bit audio is properly dithered from 32-bit float because the dither noise is spread over the whole audio spectrum, meaning that signals could still be distinguished.

Ok you're right (if the volume control is done in 32bit float).

Just wanted to say that -100dB makes no sense at the moment. Should be fixed.

FIXED (1.2.7)