Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Eac+ CMD/lame Converter or CUETools+CUERipper (Read 3910 times) previous topic - next topic

Eac+ CMD/lame Converter or CUETools+CUERipper

It's been a couple of years since i last checked here but I was wondering if i may get some assistance.

Software:
Exact Audio Copy V1.0 beta 3
CueTools 2.1.5
LAME 3.99.5 using libsndfile 1.0.25

So previously I've been using Eac and a cmd script with lame to rip cd's to flac and convert them to mp3 when i needed to do so (for media players ie ipod)
I've been using settings as follows.

Eac i was using this to rip cd's to flac
-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" %source% -o %dest%

My CMD batch file to convert to mp3 is as follows:

@echo off
"K:\Programs\Exact Audio Copy\Flac\flac.exe" -dc %1 | K:\Programs\Lame3.99.5\lame.exe -V 0 --vbr-new - %1.mp3
echo.

So i was browsing/reading through and came across Cuetools which seems to be a nice all in one solution.
Testing out the converter part and i noticed that it had a smaller file size than the method i used previously
I also had the same file size when i placed Lame3.99.5 - lame.exe into the plugins folder for Cuetools.

So a few questions:
1) Are the commands/commandline arguments I'm using currently the best i can get or have better ones come out
2) Is Cueripper better than Eac for CD to flac ripping or pretty much equivalent?
3) What would cause the file size discrepancy between the script and cuetools?
3a) is it using the same command because as far as i can tell it is?
4) Is there a better freeware i should look into for a ripper and/or converter?   

Reply #1
Too much for a single topic.

3) check Tags / CoverArt.
3a) yes
korth

Reply #2
1) Are the commands/commandline arguments I'm using currently the best i can get or have better ones come out

For EAC? That looks fine, although you could pass some additional tagging fields if you like. Here's a more complex encoding command line that I've seen:

-V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "PERFORMER=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" %source% -o %dest%

Personally, I have no use for things like lyrics or the PERFORMER field. You could pick and choose from this if you wanted to add things like DISCNUMBER or TOTALTRACKS. The most important addition that I think you could make would be ALBUMARTIST, as this is commonly used by many music players and library managers.

For the conversion to MP3 using LAME, I believe --vbr-new is now the default, so that's no longer necessary. You may want to reconsider using -V0 if this is only for portable players. The space savings you could get from using, say, -V2 or -V3 or lower would be significant. Test and see where you find the sound quality acceptable.

2) Is Cueripper better than Eac for CD to flac ripping or pretty much equivalent?

I still use EAC and haven't used CUETools very much, so couldn't say.

3) What would cause the file size discrepancy between the script and cuetools?

Your script doesn't transfer tagging to the MP3 files, does it? That's probably the difference.

The encoding parameters may be the same, but it's probably also passing the tagging data along on the command line.

4) Is there a better freeware i should look into for a ripper and/or converter?

You could use foobar2000 or dbpoweramp Music Converter for the conversion. Both freeware, and they'll both transfer the tagging from the FLAC files to the MP3s.

Reply #3

The encoding parameters may be the same, but it's probably also passing the tagging data along on the command line.

Yes, CUETools passes to TagLib# (aka taglib-sharp) for ID3 tagging.
korth