Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cracks (?) in all of my sound files (Read 7214 times) previous topic - next topic

Cracks (?) in all of my sound files

Hi there,
I am a avid reader of this forum, but didn't get much into the posting process

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=aac...c8cacaf16a3155b

This is a sample of a rip of a TV series which exemplifies my problem. In this short conversation there are a lot of cracks (I dont think these are actual cracks but something else, I am hoping you are willing to help me here). These cracks don't just occur on relatively low CBR mp3 files, but also on DVD-ac3 tracks, streaming radio etc. Whats wrong here?

Reply #1
This is a sample of a rip of a TV series which exemplifies my problem.
Ripped from what?  A DVD? 

What "ripping" software?  (Don't answer if you're using software that cracks copy protection.)

If you don't hear the defects when the original file (or DVD) is played, I'd say there's a problem with your ripping program. 

These cracks don't just occur on relatively low CBR mp3 files, but also on DVD-ac3 tracks, streaming radio etc. Whats wrong here?
  When you play a DVD or streaming radio, or only when you record it?

If this happens when you play audio or when you make an "analog" recording, it could be a problem with your hardware (soundcard/soundchip) or driver.  Or, it could be that you are multitasking or something's running the background that's interrupting the data flow.

Reply #2
it doesn't stop there
Even on my mobile with FM receiver you can hear those artefacts while listening to the radio. It occurs either ripped (with mediacoder) or on the dvd, when listening to the files/streams/... It is either connected to dialogue parts of radio shows and movies or I just can't hear the noise when music is playing (assuming the cracks are being overshadowed by music/non-speech).

Which kind of applications can disrupt audio playback by multitasking? HDD-intensive apps or ones that access the audio driver? And what can be won with answering these questions - my 2-3 yr old mobile phone has no harddrive and is not multitasking that much and shows the same symptoms.

BTW: When writing this I used the drivers that came with Windows, now I use the recent driver from Realtek, but there is no change in playback - the artefacts are audible as ever.

Reply #3
It occurs either ripped (with mediacoder) or on the dvd, when listening to the files/streams/...
I don't know what the problem is....  That's kind-of weird, because digital ripping is is not realted to real-time streaming.  Ripping uses different software, it doesn't use the soundcard or soundcard drivers, and it's not time-sensitive (multitasking shouldn't cause glitches). 

Which kind of applications can disrupt audio playback by multitasking? HDD-intensive apps or ones that access the audio driver?
Almost anything!    You've only got one data bus, and even if you have more than one CPU, there are many "processes" being shared by the CPU.  It could be your antivirus application, or a virus.  If you're online, some websites run Java, or Flash, etc., which can hog your CPU & data bus.  My general rule is "don't do anything while recording".  But, that doesn't help if there are some "sneaky" programs running in the background, or if you're capturing something from the Web and you can't get offline.

And what can be won with answering these questions -
There are many potential causes for your problem, and I thought some clues might help to narrow it down...  I doubt anyone can tell you exactly what the problem is...  We can only hope to help you figure it out. 

Even on my mobile with FM receiver you can hear those artefacts while listening to the radio...  my 2-3 yr old mobile phone has no harddrive and is not multitasking that much and shows the same symptoms.
I don't know what's wrong with your radio or phone either...  To some extent, broadcast noise & interference are normal...

Reply #4
We can only hope to help you figure it out.

Thank you for your help, this is just what I want to achieve.

Even on my mobile with FM receiver you can hear those artefacts while listening to the radio...  my 2-3 yr old mobile phone has no harddrive and is not multitasking that much and shows the same symptoms.
I don't know what's wrong with your radio or phone either...  To some extent, broadcast noise & interference are normal...

The thing is, this interference is the same as in this file whose source is dvd, so non-broadcast!

I am wondering if this is a common noise that is produced by analog-digital conversions in the production studios (therefore not on my - consumers - side of the media) as it happens on the radio, dvds etc. But have I become more sensitive towards such kinds of interferences and didn't see them the last years? The sample shows they are kind of annoying and very obvious, it is a puzzle to me. Do you come across these?

Reply #5
i can't hear any cracks, there is some hum (maybe just a part of background atmosphere) and some noise + some other defects (maybe due to transcoding?), listening with qt player on mac with ADAM-A7 speakers (but i'am very far from golden ears, so this may not mean much).

basically you would want to test some other playback devices to see whats going on.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #6
i can't hear any cracks, there is some hum (maybe just a part of background atmosphere) and some noise + some other defects (maybe due to transcoding?), listening with qt player on mac with ADAM-A7 speakers (but i'am very far from golden ears, so this may not mean much).

basically you would want to test some other playback devices to see whats going on.

you say some other defects, maybe I did'nt make myself clear here with "cracks"
As I have stated before, I have no idea what these defects are, but that I deny the possibility them being a result of AC3 to mp3 conversion, as they are present in either format.

I noticed the hum+noise too (which are quite common in this volume and are just barely noticable), but I am speaking of the really loud defect, that I will locate temporally in the following transscript:

A: specifically for room 10 which would put you at the murder scene right about the time of death
B: is that a crime

those symbols represent the two loudest anomalys, they are present not only twice in the sample, but these two are the most obvious ones. Is that what you call defects in your post? These defects are the ones I want to analyse and know where they stem from.

Thank you for helping me.

Reply #7
to me that sound like a sort of tongue snap (something to do with being to close to the mic?), no i was reffering to the overall sharpness (but that could be placebo)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8

Reply #8
to me that sound like a sort of tongue snap (something to do with being to close to the mic?), no i was reffering to the overall sharpness (but that could be placebo)

but how could such a sound possibly be present in many of my files and in nearly every radio show that is dialogue centered?

Reply #9
because people tend to make funny noises with their lips/tongue? (even pros)

Reply #10
because people tend to make funny noises with their lips/tongue? (even pros)

I have thought about your post and have come to the conclusion that it has more of a layer to it than being produced in the recording situation. There are 2 or 3 points against your theory.

These funny noises sound the same in different files and therefore don't stem from the actors (in the sample) or the news anchor(wo)men (in the radio stream I spoke of).
Neither does it fit with the vocals and consonants in speaking process. If you think about mouth, lip and tongue movement you will agree with me.

At the very least your definition is a very good description of the artefacts I complain about.

Reply #11
wasn't really a theory, more like a guess, i agree.