Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A multicore FLAC encoder (Read 134884 times) previous topic - next topic

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #100
If you haven't installed the Visual C++ redistributables yet, you can download them here. They are required.

Duh,  I missed that part.  Running like a dream now,  compresses so fast all I see is a flicker of the fpFlac.

Thankyou

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #101
I've just noticed this. Good work

1 question though - is it still subject to the same bug as in the Windows version of FLAC - i.e. is it limited to files of around 2GB due to the libraries used?

Reason I ask is because I try to merge all my multi-disc titles into 1 file,  with the standard Windows FLAC I have to split them into around 2/3 disc files.

Thanks again!

p.s. the bug I am on about is referenced here:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=483172

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #102
is it limited to files of around 2GB due to the libraries used?

1. from the very 1st post:
- Win64 version: The total WAV file size sum must not exceed 400GiB.

2. take a look at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=725304

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #103

2. take a look at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=725304

Can't believe I missed that text in the FP, thanks, but double thanks for the Case version of the original FLAC encoder. You've just saved me a lot of grief and time

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #104
1 question though - is it still subject to the same bug as in the Windows version of FLAC - i.e. is it limited to files of around 2GB due to the libraries used?

The max supported file size of 4GB is limited by the WAVE format which is the only supported format in fpFLAC right now. Internally, fpFLAC is able to process files up to 500GB.

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #105

Did I say 400GiB, not 500? 
I haven't calculated the exact value but this limit is not because of the WAV format. It comes from the internal memory handling (max process virtual memory (2TiB) / number of memory buffers (4 or 5)) .

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #106
if I use this command line options
Code: [Select]
-8 -f %s %d
and if I do the "Test encoder" or like to Save the settings I receive an error message: Invalid replacement tag found!

What would be a correct command line?
Regards, Vaako

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #107
BTW, I've decided to add some missing command-line options into fpFLAC (-b, -m, -M, -e, -A, -l, -p, -q, -r and --replay-gain).

Can you list the total command-line options and it's intentions of fpFLAC?
Regards, Vaako

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #108
-8 -f %s %d
and if I do the "Test encoder" or like to Save the settings I receive an error message: Invalid replacement tag found!

It's a EAC related question.

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #110
Is it normal that fpFLAC creates files with different sizes than standard FLAC with the same compression setting? I'm a noob so feel free to educate me

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #111
-8 -f %s %d

It's a EAC related question.

EAC question or not fpflac.exe many of us can't get fpflac to work with the latest EAC.  Something to do with the way EAC is handing filenames as far as I can tell.  Anyone have a command line that works ?

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #112
I suposse this one is dead but... this is a copy of the post I put in the cuda encoder.

Hi Gregory, have been following yours and the fpflac implementation and noted there is one important missing feature (at least for me): the --test option.

Checking an existing flac file like you do with -v option but without the wav requirement and no output, just verifying if the calculated MD5 matches the stored signature.
I suppose in your implementation the idea would be a bit different than the work you have been done up to now since the point is not checking if the output matches the input with your new gpu encoding but making use of the GPU to calculate faster the MD5 hash, independent of the flac "enconding".

Just with that and a batch file you would make an entire 3TB audio database verification a matter of minutes instead of hours.

Gregory said the GPU would not be very good for that task so any possibility to make add it to the multicore enconder?

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #113
Is there any advantage to a multicore encoder versus starting a separate encoder on each core (like foobar's converter?)

My experience with multicore encoders (not this particular one) has been that they keep my four cores at 60 or 75% usage, whereas simply starting four single threaded encoders will keep each core 100% utilized.

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #114
?
The approach is totally different, not sure what are you asking.

A multicore encoder takes 1 file and use X cores in the process.
A multi-instance encoder takes X files and uses X cores.

Both have their advantages and limitations.

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #115
I know the approach is different. What I'm asking is what's the advantage?

A multicore FLAC encoder

Reply #116
I know the approach is different. What I'm asking is what's the advantage?

Multiple instances is obviously faster if you have multiple tracks, but I guess doesn't help you at all if you only have one track.

Probably the best approach would be to cut an input into multiple tracks, encode them in parallel and then stitch them together.