Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My COWON S9 is full... recommendation for a high volume replacement? (Read 11297 times) previous topic - next topic

My COWON S9 is full... recommendation for a high volume replacement?

Reply #25
Are you confirming there is NO actual limit for microSD card in Sansa Fuze +, so that it can even match an iPod 120Gb as far as storage is concerned?

The limit for SD is something like 2048TB.  In principle any device that supports SDHC should go up that high, but officially they're only required to support 32GB.  I don't think I've ever seen a device that will do 32GB but not 64GB, but often theres other implicit limitations (e.g. only enough RAM for X thousand files, etc).

For a Fuze+ in rockbox I expect that all SDXC cards should work regardless of size.  We have no limits in our software, and 1 TB (magnetic) disks have been used without issue.  If they don't, that would be a bug in our drivers or possibly in the card's firmware.

Reply #26
it supports 64GB microSDXC cards. i don't think you can buy anything bigger than that.

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/

"The SDXC standard, the latest SD memory card standard, dramatically improves consumers’ digital lifestyles by increasing storage capacity from more than 32 GB up to 2 TB. Its exFAT file system handles large volumes of data. The standards for increasing bus interface speeds up to 104 MB per second for UHS-I and up to 312 MB per second for UHS-II, as well as UHS Speed Class, are available for SDXC memory cards and devices. SDXC's extended capacity will provide more portable storage and offer greater speeds required to support new features in consumer electronic devices, mobile devices and industrial devices. It also gives consumers a valuable easy upgrade option, allowing them to add capacity as needed vs. replacing devices and creating more consumer electronic waste. As a product developer, this gives you more options to determine the amount of storage required for each product and create more product options. "

Reply #27
I guess he probably meant that microsd cards specifically were not available in larger capacities yet.

Reply #28
the key word i used was "buy". whilst theoretical limits might be interesting for all the engineers, i'm speaking as a consumer and i'm only interested in what is available right now.

Reply #29
He stated he was concerned with audio quality, which I usually translate into using absurdly high bitrates and probably mp3 just due to proliferation.

Then why the comparison to OGG Vorbis at 96 kbps? That's hardly an absurdly high bitrate.

All I am saying is that it is not fair to compare bitrates unless you are comparing at comparable quality.

Please reread my original post. I was advocating that instead of ditching a perfectly good player that he is happy with due to it's capacity, he could potentially pack up to 3 times the amount of music on the thing if he objectively looked at the quality of modern codecs at low bitrates and took advantage of those advances. I assumed he currently uses mp3 at a high bitrate because that tends to be, by far, the most common format. Virtually every online store sells mp3's at 256kbps or higher. Generally an absurdly high bitrate even for mp3 given what modern versions of lame are capable of doing.

Reply #30
the key word i used was "buy". whilst theoretical limits might be interesting for all the engineers, i'm speaking as a consumer and i'm only interested in what is available right now.

You can duck and hide but you are still wrong: ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-SDXC-Flash-Mem...3/dp/B004SAMZW4

Reply #31
That's a full size SDXC card. Sansa DAPs use the "micro" variant (which I believe currently tops out at 64GB).

Reply #32
I would never characterize flash as being less reliable than a HDD.
It can be if you write more often than you read. Not a likely use case in a portable music player.

cheers,
David.