Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone - Help me choose (Read 3070 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone - Help me choose

Hello. Long story short but I have the opportunity to use an employer recognition reward and I’m thinking of getting a pair of headphones that would ordinarily be impossible to justify as a purchase. I’m limited to what is available in the catalogue and I have enough points (675) for the following:

- Sony MDR 1R (656)
- Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear (617)
- Sol Republic Tracks HD Ultra (586)
- Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear (561)

Playback will be via Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 with Ogg-Vorbis and/or Opus files transcoded from my FLAC library. I’m hoping not to use a headphone amp but may get a portable headphone amp at some point if needed. Genre is broadly mixed but female vocal is prominent.

I’ve been everywhere to try and audition but its proving impossible. A few places have listening stations but you’re limited to 6 or so tracks that you can switch through and volume. It’s not possible to connect the headphones to your own device.

For a few reasons, I’m probably going to skip on the Sony. No one has the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear setup and they won’t unbox. I’ve listened to both the Sol Republic Tracks HD Ultra and Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear.

I went in thinking the Sennheiser’s would win hands down but in comparison they sounded poor; limited frequency response, low output volume, little to no ‘punch’ with the demo tunes available. Maybe it was the specific songs that highlighted the Sol’s. I’m now starting to wonder if the headphones were faulty or (more likely) if the backend amp (all hidden in the display board) was faulty etc.

I need help. If you had to choose from the above on faith, what would you get? I’m still tempted for the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear but can’t get over the poor experience.

Reply #1
I have not tried this model but Senns sound better than any other headphones I have tried.

They probably just need EQing or something.

FLAC -> JDS Labs ODAC/O2 -> Sennheiser HD 650 (equalized)

Reply #2
Yes, another headphone selection topic

Is it a fad we've been having over here lately or what ? 

(...) I’m limited to what is available in the catalogue [/b]and I have enough points (675) for the following:

This doesn't sound ideal when it comes to buying products you're hoping to be using on a daily basis for the longest possible time span, let alone something as personal as headphones. As far as individual preferences go, at least. I cannot vouch for any of them purely for not owning any of them, but by limiting yourself to a single supplier, you might incur in not buying the right one for you.

Playback will be via Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 with Ogg-Vorbis and/or Opus files transcoded from my FLAC library. I’m hoping not to use a headphone amp but may get a portable headphone amp at some point if needed. Genre is broadly mixed but female vocal is prominent.

How can you be sure you will have to buy an amp for either of these? From reading online opinions exclusively!? Also, portable amps would be justified if you're mostly using headphones on the go, otherwise most non-dedicated amps would offer you much more bang for the buck - if you need them at all.

I’ve been everywhere to try and audition but its proving impossible. A few places have listening stations but you’re limited to 6 or so tracks that you can switch through and volume. It’s not possible to connect the headphones to your own device.

For a few reasons, I’m probably going to skip on the Sony. No one has the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear setup and they won’t unbox. I’ve listened to both the Sol Republic Tracks HD Ultra and Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear.

Having worked on retail for several years before, I can assure you seasoned sales people try to make (using typical jargon in the trade) a time waister's store experience a difficult one, when they detect all he/she wanna do is 'trying here, buying elsewhere'.

I went in thinking the Sennheiser’s would win hands down but in comparison they sounded poor; limited frequency response, low output volume, little to no ‘punch’ with the demo tunes available. Maybe it was the specific songs that highlighted the Sol’s. I’m now starting to wonder if the headphones were faulty or (more likely) if the backend amp (all hidden in the display board) was faulty etc.

If by 'punch' you mean bass, and lots of it, all I can say is hi-end Senns are well known for their (I hope I'm not using audiophool jargon here) TRANSPARENCY - which in plain English translates as flat response. At least it is just like that with my 'ye olde faithful' HD-580, but other similar models (600's, 650's) are reported to have similar 'signatures' - but for obvious reasons I cannot comment on those.

I need help. If you had to choose from the above on faith, what would you get? I’m still tempted for the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear but can’t get over the poor experience.

Ideally it should would all boil down to 'try 'em before you buy 'em', not faith purchase.

As you are, in my opinion, inadequately bound to that list, you'll have to count on someone over here (or elsewhere) first owning one of those and furthermore, be happening to read and willing to reply to your post. And even then you'd have to trust their personal judgements.

I honestly think you should at least try to minimize the chances of future disappointment by concentrating on reviews/opinions where current owners have similar taste to yours, as far as listening habits, music genres, etcetera go.

Also ask yourself what you listen to mostly, how and where, maybe you might get lucky with one of those you mentioned or maybe take the plunge and accept other recommendations outside your current scope, who knows.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
Thanks for your replies. I happened to be in another store (same franchise) and they had the Momentum Over-Ears setup. Today they were great so I can only assume my first experience was down to that stores demo panel. Unfortunately I couldn't test the On-Ears or the Sol Republics; it would be nice to try all 3 but it isn't going to happen.

Might hunt around for some more reviews but I'm now siding toward one of the Sennheiser's. And I don't have to pay for these; it a workplace gift so to speak otherwise I'd be stuck with my $10 IEM's.

Reply #4
Thanks for your replies. I happened to be in another store (same franchise) and they had the Momentum Over-Ears setup. Today they were great so I can only assume my first experience was down to that stores demo panel. Unfortunately I couldn't test the On-Ears or the Sol Republics; it would be nice to try all 3 but it isn't going to happen.

Might hunt around for some more reviews but I'm now siding toward one of the Sennheiser's. And I don't have to pay for these; it a workplace gift so to speak otherwise I'd be stuck with my $10 IEM's.

Suit yourself.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução