Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Writing compressed audio to cd (Read 5039 times) previous topic - next topic

Writing compressed audio to cd

I have been burning a lot of mp3 albums on to cd and naturally I want to be sure that everything got burned correctly. My method has been pretty basic, after burning all I've done is right click on the source folder on hard drive, checked the file size through properties, then done exactly the same with the cd I just burnt. If they match I'm happy, if not I'm unhappy.

Is this a sufficient test would you say? I was thinking maybe using checksums somehow might be more reliable. By the way, I use burnatonce 0.99a for all my burning nowadays.

Cheers all

Reply #1
There's a "verify data after burning" option in Nero.
If you want to stay with BAO, md5 hashing may be a good answer.

Reply #2
Thanks guruboolez, I'll try and get clued up with doing that with BAO. I used like the 'verify data' option in nero, but I got a bit fed up with all the constant downloading of updates. Hopefully BAO might use that feature one day. Might even go and ask them about it now.

Cheers

Reply #3
I can't seem to start a new topic at burnatonce forums. Does anyone here have experience verifying data with BAO. According to their site,  a verify data option was added with version 0.98

I can't find it though. Any help appreciated

Reply #4
Not only Nero, but several other apps like NTI CD Maker, Record Now Max, Easy CD, etc has an option to compare the recorded data against the original.
Or maybe you can just create a CRC checking file(sfv or md5) on each folder, prior the burning and check the data anytime.
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #5
There are also a lot of folder comparison programs out there that will check files (your mp3s) based on different criteria (file date & size, content, checksums, etc) - they are a useful gereral utility than are good for many different file&folder comparisons - the one i use most of the time is called FolderMatch

Reply #6
Thanks for the replies but I really like Burnatonce. I am sure that it will have some sort of checking facility but it is pretty well hidden. If not I'll use another program but I am lazy and like things like that to be done for me, automatically.  I still can't seem to make a post at the burnatonce support forum sadly.

Reply #7
I can't seem to start a new topic at burnatonce forums. Does anyone here have experience verifying data with BAO. According to their site,  a verify data option was added with version 0.98

I can't find it though. Any help appreciated

burnatonce have a Verify function, but only for Data disks.

Regarding burnatonce forum. If you just registered username Simon there, you need to verify your profile before posting.

Reply #8
thanks solaris, I'll do that.

Reply #9
Solaris, I am not sure what is required of me at burnatonce forum. I have activated my account via the confirmation email. I am logged in ok. I can't see anything about verifying my profile though. Am I missing something really obvious!?

Reply #10
Disregard that last post Solaris. I was using wrong email (goes bright red)...

Reply #11
Strange, the activation from e-mail should do it. 

Reply #12
You can't test burned MP3s on filesize only. The filesize will be right even if the burning is canceled, and nothing is actually burned !
The explorer doesn't read files in order to display their size, it just reads their size in the TOC, it doesn't even checks that the files physically exist.

Reply #13
Thats what I thought Pio2001. It seemed a much too primitive way to check for accuracy. I am now using checksums with BAO, They seem to be the best idea because you can recheck the integrity of the disc at any time, whereas using a 'verify data after burning' function is only available at the time of burning.