Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 4.0 alpha 6 (Read 47777 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #75
[X,May 17 2003 - 04:32 PM]I Get the point.

I know it's a pre alpha,but i think that some tests can help  Takehiro to choose the way to go on.

Or I'm wrong? 

You may be right, I don't know, but apparently Takehiro wasn't too pleased with me for posting it in the first place!! 

Hehe ok,now i understand 

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #76
I think Takehiro knows what needs to be done, and doesn't like the idea of having several boards members try to tell what to do. 

Give him some credit, he is Japanese, not just some [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']dumb[/span] American! 

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #77
I don't thin anybody's trying to tell him what to do. People are just eager to inform him/HA when they think they found something to improve, that's all. If Takehiro gets pissed off, he should just ignore these posts, shouldn't he?

Besides, I have come to realize Americans are actually smarter than they appear to be..:-)

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #78
Does anyone have the originally posted builds of Lame 4.0a6 from this thread?
I stupidly downloaded the May 17th build over the older version, and it sounds rubbish in comparison! Everything has gone all warbly and splashy/mushy sounding (accompanied by a small bitrate drop) when using --preset standard -Y. The older build made great sounding files with tiny bitrates, and in super quick time, so I would really appreciate it if someone could link to the older build.
I dunno what happened with the newer build - one of the library changes must have screwed it up I guess; I also noticed that the "-q x" setting doesn't work properly in the new build, it only makes a difference at q0, and above q6 I think - q1 to q5 all give identical files, as does q6 to q9. Mind you, I have no idea whether the older build had this bug too.

Thanks in advance!

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #79
In my opinion audio quality testing on these pre pre alphas are not really that useful, because the codes are not even finished yet. Testing and tuning should be done at least when the program is fully functional.

dvdmeister: I think you should not use this pre alpha for your daily usage. Those weired screw-ups and bugs are expected. You should stick with release versions.

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #80
I'm not really testing this version of Lame - I fully understand that its going to have bugs, and I'm not using it to make archive files or anything like that. I'm just using it to make mp3s for my portable player. It just happens to make better quality vs bitrate files than the 3.9x versions (in my opinion) for this application - I haven't and won't be doing any proper testing on Lame 4 at this stage, I'm just using it 'cause I found it worked well for me. Well, the old build did anyway 

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #81
Will there be periodic binaries released from the 4.0 branch or is this all we are gonna see for several monthes?

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #82
My bet is that Takehiro wouldn't like to see frequent binaries. He already got pretty annoyed with this one.

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #83
Will there be periodic binaries released from the 4.0 branch or is this all we are gonna see for several monthes?

It actually went to alpha 7 on the 24th, but there is clearly a lot of experimental work being done and the quality is, consequently, all over the place and changes on every update. My own decision, therefore, is that to post binaries right now wouldn't be helpful to anyone and that numbers of experimental sub-standard binaries in circulation can only be damaging.  However, if someone else wants to do so, that's their decision, but I have no desire to upset the guy that's doing all the valuable work (any more than I have already, that is)!!.

From a quality perspective, it would appear that I just got lucky with the first of the alpha 6's that I posted.

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #84
My bet is that Takehiro wouldn't like to see frequent binaries. He already got pretty annoyed with this one.

I agree with this...but a changelog between the alphas may be very appreciated   

At least we could see where the developement is going 

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #85
the link is broken, where can i get lastesr lame 4 alpha6? thanx
My Favorite Lame Preset

--alt-preset fast insane

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #86
What's the status on the latest LAME 4.0 (alpha10) posted on Mitiok's page??

http://mitiok.cjb.net/

It's got to be worth trying out since it's (kind of) officially out.
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #87
This may be a 'Lame' question (  ) but is there a dll version of Takehiro's build of Lame available? I'd like to check it out with my ripper (CDex) if possible. So far, the only version I've found is an executable.

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #88
It's got to be worth trying out since it's (kind of) officially out.

In no way it is officially out:

WE DID NOT RELEASED LAME 4.0

What you can find on Mitiok's page is a compile from a cvs checkout that should be used for experimentation and testing only.

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #89
I a bit confused with the actual purpose of those binaries.
My question is how exactly L.A.M.E developers can benefit from user feedback and what they really expect from us to help them out.
Dimitris

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #90
In no way it is officially out:

WE DID NOT RELEASED LAME 4.0
I might be a bit unfamiliar with exactly how Mitiok is affiliated with the LAME dev's. Anyhow, it's there for anyone to d/l, so it would still be interesting to hear something about the progress.
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #91
My question is how exactly L.A.M.E developers can benefit from user feedback and what they really expect from us to help them out.

AFAIK if developers are intrested sound quality of the encoder, then hearing other people opinion from quality is important.

EDIT: I just remembered local saying but it propably isn't suitable from here because it is related to stool.

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #92

The binaries do NOT serve a useful purpose at the moment. Takehiro is not really interested in any test results at this stage because it is far too early in the development. When he wants tests done, he'll ask for them. 

By all means try them out of interest, but serious comments about the results are inappropriate at this time.

LAME 4.0 alpha 6

Reply #93
LAME4 is changing almost everyday. And I know it should and will change for a while, because I already notice there're so many problems.

This is because I do not need any test now.
May the source be with you! // Takehiro TOMINAGA