Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
EAC rip How The West Was Won, Led Zeppelin Cd Contains Copy Protection
Sounds Blast
post Oct 18 2008, 01:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 53920

Hello, i am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. I was planning on buying Led Zeppelins "How The West Was Won" reading about it further states that these (3) disc box set are Copy Protected not having own such a cd with this problem i wanted to know if EAC will be able to rip this?, or maybe someone else has ripped this with success with EAC? If not i'll do with out the cd then i suppose. I am running a vista pc in case that makes a big difference.

This post has been edited by Sounds Blast: Oct 18 2008, 01:15
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Keykey
post Oct 18 2008, 09:25
Post #2

Member No.: 19190

Basically it is a hardware-related task rather than software (EAC).

I just can talk here by myself: with my Plextor Premium EAC will rip anything. I can't tell you about other CD or DVD drives, sorry.

On the other hand, there is a proggy that will rip any protected cd independently of the drive you have. I just will not name the proggy as its developer seems to be a dishonest person, sorry again.

Some old EAC versions could jump the protection too as far as I remember but it had to be left out of EAC for legal issues.

Cheers.
+Quote Post
HotshotGG
post Oct 18 2008, 09:40
Post #3

Member No.: 1607

Hello, I am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. I was planning on buying Led Zeppelins "How The West Was Won" reading about it further states that these (3) disc box set are Copy Protected not having own such a cd with this problem I wanted to know if EAC will be able to rip this?, or maybe someone else has ripped this with success with EAC? If not i'll do with out the cd then I am suppose. I am running a vista pc in case that makes a big difference.

I am not the foremost expert with EAC, but to answer your question the answer is "yes" EAC should be able to rip the disc correctly provided that you configure it to rip using "Burst Mode". The other factor that comes into play is the make and model of your CD-ROM drive. Beyond that I can't answer anymore questions for you. I hope that helps. wink.gif

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofive...php/t33164.html

--------------------
College student/IT Assistant
+Quote Post
Sounds Blast
post Oct 18 2008, 21:52
Post #4

Thanks Keykey, and HotshotGG for your inputs. I think i'll go ahead and buy it and see what happens. I won't go out of my way really to defeat the cd if EAC simply won't work then i'll have to use my cd player lol, i rarely use one now adays. Thanks maybe i'll post back after i get the box set sometime.
+Quote Post
Rio
post Oct 19 2008, 02:02
Post #5

Member No.: 38799

EAC 0.9b4 can rip copy protected cds, even good ol' Audiograbber.

--------------------
"Listen to me...
Never take unsolicited advice..."
+Quote Post
kornchild2002
post Oct 19 2008, 03:06
Post #6

Member No.: 21277

I can rip copy protected CDs with anything. The thing is that copy protected CDs start up software that will mess up the ripping process. This is the way that Velvet Revolver's CD worked and every other copy protected CD that I have ripped. All you need to do is enable the EAC option to disable auto-start on your CD drive. You can either do that or simply hold the shift key (Windows only) while inserting your CD until your computer recognizes it. I have ripped copy protected CDs with EAC, iTunes, dBpowerAMP, and even Windows Media Player.

You just have to stop the copy protection software from running when you insert the CD. Another option is to rip the CD in Linux or Mac OSX as the copy protection is probably Windows only (this is the case 99.99% of the time).
+Quote Post
xmixahlx
post Oct 20 2008, 02:18
Post #7

Member No.: 693

i've not had a problem ripping any discs on my linux box, so that sounds right.

later

--------------------
RareWares/Debian :: http://www.rarewares.org/debian.html
+Quote Post
greynol
post Oct 20 2008, 06:32
Post #8

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (Rio @ Oct 18 2008, 18:02) *
EAC 0.9b4 can rip copy protected cds

Have you noticed a difference between this version and 0.95pb3 (or 0.95b3 for that matter) when it comes to ripping copy protected CDs?

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
Rio
post Oct 23 2008, 03:44
Post #9

QUOTE (greynol @ Oct 20 2008, 13:32) *
QUOTE (Rio @ Oct 18 2008, 18:02) *
EAC 0.9b4 can rip copy protected cds

Have you noticed a difference between this version and 0.95pb3 (or 0.95b3 for that matter) when it comes to ripping copy protected CDs?

Nope. Haven't tried ripping a Copy Controlled/Copy Protected CDs using EAC .95. I can't just remember where I read (presumably from EAC website) that due to legal implications, newer versions of EAC after .9b4 won't support ripping protected CDs. Sorry I can't recall exact details though, I might remember incorrectly...

--------------------
"Listen to me...
+Quote Post
greynol
post Oct 23 2008, 03:53
Post #10

Yes, you're not remembering correctly. wink.gif

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
Rio
post Oct 23 2008, 03:58
Post #11

Well, at least it's still safe to say that EAC .9b4 can rip such CDs. I won't talk of things I don't know.

--------------------
"Listen to me...
+Quote Post
greynol
post Oct 23 2008, 04:04
Post #12

Retrieval of the native TOC was removed as of 0.95b4. Regarding this discussion, the fact of the matter is that there are a variety of copy control mechanisms and in at least some situations they can be drive-dependent.

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
Sounds Blast
post Oct 23 2008, 04:33
Post #13

Thanks to all who replied and had given there thoughts. I have ordered this box set due to it sounding pretty good considering i really can't stand led zeppelin live, "i don't like Robert plant's singing live half the time" I will let you guys know when i get it, and rip, or for that matter try to rip it. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Pepzhez
post Oct 24 2008, 03:36
Post #14

Member No.: 6685

For what it's worth (to those who have access to a Mac), XLD/cdparanoia 10.2 does an amazing job on "Copy Control" discs. Not a single problem or error in test before copy, secure mode. Depending on your drive your mileage may vary, but XLD is by far the best application I've ever found for such discs.

This post has been edited by Pepzhez: Oct 24 2008, 03:44
+Quote Post
Sounds Blast
post Oct 24 2008, 21:51
Post #15

Thanks to everyones comments, and suggestions. I ripped all 3 discs with NO problem at all with the .99 prebeta 4 EAC. smile.gif
+Quote Post
jjack229
post Oct 24 2008, 22:17
Post #16

Member No.: 39295

I came across this thread a few days late, but I'll still chime in that I ripped my entire CD collection (~150) a few weeks ago and that included the 3 CD How the West Was Won which ripped fine for me. My only problem was with a DualCD (Healthy in Paranoid Times) which rips on some CD drives but not others.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it was with the latest version of EAC

This post has been edited by jjack229: Oct 24 2008, 22:18
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 20:42