IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Reply to this topicStart new topic
WinXP users beware, users with large audio collections read!
westgroveg
post Dec 10 2003, 05:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 220

I stole this from Astaforum:

SYMPTOMS
If your computer has an ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) hard disk that is larger than 137 gigabytes (GB), you may experience any of the following symptoms:
Your computer may restart instead of resuming from hibernation.
You may experience hard disk corruption when your computer enters either standby or hibernation.
You may experience hard disk corruption when Windows XP writes a memory dump file as a result of an unrecoverable Windows error (or Stop error)
Note If you experience hard disk corruption, you may also experience other symptoms including problems starting, restarting, or shutting down Windows XP, problems running programs, or problems opening or saving documents.
CAUSE
The ATAPI driver for Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) does not use 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) when it writes memory dump files or hibernation files. Additionally, the flush cache command is not issued to a large hard disk that has 48-bit LBA enabled when Windows XP enters standby or hibernation.
RESOLUTION
Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Release Date: January 22, 2003

more info

Download the Q331958_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe package

This post has been edited by westgroveg: Dec 10 2003, 05:39
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andavari
post Dec 10 2003, 07:35
Post #2

Member No.: 2204

I wonder if that's the whole host of problems I'm having with my new WinXP Pro system. I have to select to Turn Off, I cannot use Stand By or Restart because if I do the screen just freezes after Windows saves the settings.

By the way the here the link from MS about the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];331958

This post has been edited by Andavari: Dec 10 2003, 07:36

--------------------
Complexity of incoherent design.
+Quote Post
Wish
post Dec 10 2003, 08:20
Post #3

Member No.: 19

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;812415

Newer update which supersedes and replaces 331958 update. The atapi.sys in 331958 is build 5.1.2600.1135, in 812415 it is 5.1.2600.1164. Install this update(812415) instead of 331958.
+Quote Post
atici
post Dec 10 2003, 15:17
Post #4

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 1367

Hmm published on 5/9/2003? I go on update my Windows once in a while and there's also Auto Update. How could it miss this very important update?

--------------------
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.
+Quote Post
NumLOCK
post Dec 10 2003, 15:40
Post #5

Neutrino G-RSA developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 2002

Hm, I can't believe they do still have such bugs ! Back in the days I've been using a beta of Windows 95 which worked great, so I boutht the final win95 when the time came.. and what a mistake ! It corrupted my partitions every 3 days for similar LBA reasons, while the beta didn't (for 6 months). They told me it was my mainboard (of course, a brand-new $300 ASUS !!). I changed the M/B, still no luck. So I went back to the more stable beta.

Then came win2000, which promised to run both directx and a decent kernel, well it worked, but that was still microsoft quality engineering :x

By the way has anyone heard about the latest 0x01 URL exploit in IE ? the security bulletin made me laugh... or should I have cried? rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by NumLOCK: Dec 10 2003, 15:45

--------------------
Try Leeloo Chat at http://leeloo.webhop.net
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 15:30