Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RVA2 / TXXX ReplayGain (Read 6486 times) previous topic - next topic

RVA2 / TXXX ReplayGain

Hello,

Working on a web service for spoken audio, content to be made available via opus, vorbis, and mp3

We have the benefit of encoding server-side which lets us use lame --replaygain-accurate for the MP3 compression.

Currently (not in production yet) we add the ReplayGain tags as user-defined TXXX frames

We get the ReplayGain peak and track info from the lame tag that lame creates when encoding,

While looking at the id3v2.4.0 spec it seems there is an RVA2 frame for adjustment, but while searching the web it appears that pretty much only Linux audio players really care about RVA2, ReplayGain.org itself says to use the TXXX frames we currently use.

Are there any current players any of you know about that will look at RVA2 but will not look for ReplayGain info in the TXXX frames?

It looks like historically that was the case in Linux with many players but that was 5 or 6 years ago at least those discussions were taking place. Most GUI Linux apps use GStreamer, I'm not positive (I have to check) but I believe GStreamer understands the TXXX frames?

I have looked at the previous discussions here, but they are old.
Clearly TXXX frames in general are better from a technical perspective.
I'm just trying to find out if RVA2 has pretty much been abandoned or if there are still some GUI players that will use RVA2 but ignore presence of the TXXX frames.

Thanks

RVA2 / TXXX ReplayGain

Reply #1
Well it seems kind of moot because of Windows Media Player.
If we use id3 2.4.0 as would be needed for RVA2 then WMP can't read the tags.

So I guess just use the TXXX frames and forget about RVA2. Hopefully people who use Linux and may benefit from RVA2 (if it is even still needed there) can figure out how to use normalize or whatever to add the tag.

So I guess the question is effectively pointless. Thank you Microsoft for still not supporting the only version of id3v2 that allows UTF-8 tags, even though it has been out well over a decade.