Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Configuring EAC Read Sample Offset Correction (Read 5422 times) previous topic - next topic

Configuring EAC Read Sample Offset Correction

Hello, thanks to the few who answered my questions earlier about converting 48khz audio to 44khz audio to write it to a CD.  The project I'm working on is going well, just taking the time to do it is the big part.

Now I'm going to start another project.  I just bought a 500 GB external (finally got the money to) and I'd like to go about ripping all my CDs lossless.  I'm experienced playing FLAC files, but never writing to them.  I'm basically following the EAC Lossless Backup wiki guide, but have come across my first problem.

When I'm configuring the drive, I'm not quite sure what to put for the "Read sample offset correction value."  I have a PIONEER DVDRW DR-KD08HB 1K09.  I've come across two on the list given in the wiki guide, DVRKD08A and DVRKD08RS which I guess are the closest, and both use +48.

also I have tried to detect it, and so far through 5 trials (unfortunately all I have that work with the list given on EAC's website) I have gotten the following values...

+1977
+669
+2237
+1529
+29

Any clues about what I should use?  Am I doing something wrong to get such outrageous values?

Reply #1
Forget about EAC's antiquated and cumbersome method; use AccurateRip instead.

If you look at the guide you cited carefully enough you will see:
When using this method it is imperative that the number in the right-hand column of the table matches (as closely as possible) the number found along the on inner-ring of your CD.
This should explain why you're not getting consistent results.

Anyhow, the guide was written for EAC V0.95.  AccurateRip is now included with EAC V0.99.  Besides this and the fact that flac is now included with V0.99 also, the rest of the information in the guide is applicable to the current version.

EDIT: Grammar; my proofreading sucks as usual.

Reply #2
Forget about EAC's antiquated and cumbersome method; use AccurateRip instead.

Anyhow if you looked at the guide you cited carefully enough you will see:
When using this method it is imperative that the number in the right-hand column of the table matches (as closely as possible) the number found along the on inner-ring of your CD.
This should explain why you're not getting consistent results.

I just thought if it read the CD, I would get the results correctly, as I got quite a few "CD Not in Database messages." 

Is AccurateRip automatically done then?  Because now If I go into check the value, it's set at +48 and I can't click to change it.

Reply #3
I just thought if it read the CD, I would get the results correctly
If this wasn't necessary then the author of the guide wouldn't have gone out of his way to provide that information.  In order to determine your drive's offset, you must use specific pressings, since alternate pressings often differ by just an offset.  Luckily AccurateRip has the ability to store offset information for multiple pressings.

Is AccurateRip automatically done then? Because now If I go into check the value, it's set at +48 and I can't click to change it.
Yes.  If you want to change it, you can uncheck the "Use AccurateRip with this drive" setting.