Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good cheap mic recomendations? (Read 2423 times) previous topic - next topic

Good cheap mic recomendations?

I want to record lectures on my Minidisc and I need a recomendation for the cheapest decent mic I can get.  Obviously, I'm looking for something that would be appropriate for the sound environment of a classroom.  Any suggestions?

Also...any other forums I might post on?

Thanks,

Ian

Reply #1
yup...

a classrom is very hard to get "clean" sound from..
if i where you.. i get a standard pc-mic.. tape it anywhere near the source..

then transfer the recordings.. load it into wavelab.. and clean it up.. then apply the
mic.modeler.. then you can get any mic.. you wan`t.

and if am not way lost.. wavelab also can transfer it directly to MD..

then.. if your idea was to record directly into the MD..

get ditto.. and make a (directional cardboard coate) arond the mic..
and place it in front.. and as close to the source as possible..

(the cardboard is "dead".. so it will make minimum artifacts on the sound..

Reply #2
Cheapest decent mic? 

How cheap is cheap?  How decent is decent?
I would suggest either:

1) Pop down to a Sony Centre (well, we have them in the UK) and tell them what you want -- they will have a little round battery powered microphone (cant remember model and google seems to not be working too well at the mo) for about £20; these are actually surprisingly good, although the lead can be destroyed by an ever so slight tug 

2) http://www.shure.com/microphones/performance/pg/default.asp
The PG48 is very very good.  I bought one for general (when I'm not there) use in one of pubs I DJ at for about £40.  And it is better than many a microphone over £100.
Will have to get an XLR to small jack lead as well though.

3) Dirt Cheap PC Microphone

Mark