Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000’s ASIO output seems not to work w/ JACK’s dummy ASIO driver (Read 3648 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000’s ASIO output seems not to work w/ JACK’s dummy ASIO driver

Hello,

I'm trying to use foobar2000 with JACK. It works by installing a dummy ASIO driver that redirects the audio output of an application to the JACK server. Then you can either redirect that audio to another application, to another JACK server on the network, or to a (real) ASIO driver. My problem is that foobar's ASIO output component doesn't seem to work with JACK server's dummy ASIO driver (although it works with a real ASIO driver). When I select "ASIO: JackRouter" as the output device in foobar's options and click Play, the status bar says "Starting playback..." for 10 seconds, then I get a console "Timeout" message. It doesn't seem to be JACK's fault since this configuration works with Winamp + ASIO output. I've tried to make it work on two different computers (with different soundcards), so this doesn't seem to be the problem either. I wonder if someone has had more success at this, or if something can be done to make foo_out_asio compatible with JACK.

I'm using Jack v1.9.9 on Windows 7 64-bit with the latest versions of foobar2000 and foo_out_asio.

Thanks.

Re: foobar2000’s ASIO output seems not to work w/ JACK’s dummy ASIO driver

Reply #1
Hi

It's been more than 6 years but I just happened to read your post by chance. Maybe the software versions are too different but I think there are some possible causes that I can help.

Firstly, make sure you are running foobar2k with the admin previliges.

Secondly, foobar2k gains and loses the control of ASIO driver. Initially, it doesn't have access to the ASIO driver when the audio is not playing. So you have to connect the inputs and outputs between ports while it is playing. You have to reconnect them whenever the audio stops. Easy way to solve this is using Jack Control's patchbay feature. It will automatically reconnect them whenever they are disconnected.

Thirdly, you may see extraneous warning message in the jack console saying : "Cannot connect ports owned by inactive clients:". Easy way to solve this is giving "-s" silent option when running the jackd.exe

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I'm trying to use foobar2000 with JACK. It works by installing a dummy ASIO driver that redirects the audio output of an application to the JACK server. Then you can either redirect that audio to another application, to another JACK server on the network, or to a (real) ASIO driver. My problem is that foobar's ASIO output component doesn't seem to work with JACK server's dummy ASIO driver (although it works with a real ASIO driver). When I select "ASIO: JackRouter" as the output device in foobar's options and click Play, the status bar says "Starting playback..." for 10 seconds, then I get a console "Timeout" message. It doesn't seem to be JACK's fault since this configuration works with Winamp + ASIO output. I've tried to make it work on two different computers (with different soundcards), so this doesn't seem to be the problem either. I wonder if someone has had more success at this, or if something can be done to make foo_out_asio compatible with JACK.

I'm using Jack v1.9.9 on Windows 7 64-bit with the latest versions of foobar2000 and foo_out_asio.

Thanks.

Re: foobar2000’s ASIO output seems not to work w/ JACK’s dummy ASIO driver

Reply #2
Firstly, make sure you are running foobar2k with the admin previliges.

I have to be more precise here. Make sure the previliges level of jackd.exe and other applications the same. User level or admin level.