Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which decoder to use for mp3 pro? (Read 2556 times) previous topic - next topic

Which decoder to use for mp3 pro?

The problem I have is that when I use the Thompson decoder it gets used for all mp3 files, and I cannot skip in vbr files made using lame and --alt-preset standard.

The standard winamp decoder works fine for these.

Is there winamp plugin which is used only for mp3 pro files and not for normal mp3s?

Reply #1
I'm also searching for another output plugin, but it looks like that Thomson's crap is the only option for mp3pro. Luckily, I have only a few mp3pro files, so I use Nullsoft's plugin for mp3.

But I'd be glad if somebody knows a better solution.

Reply #2
you can hexedit in_mp3PRO.dll 1.0 to let it play .m3p files instead of .mp3 files
don't use version 1.1, it has bug: it doesn't display the song length in the playlist
Code: [Select]
addr.    bytes

-----    ----------------

350F8    6D 33 70 ...

35118    33 70 ...

418A0    2E 6D 33 70 ...

-----    ----------------

** this listing works only with the mp3PRO plugin v.1.00 **
now you can use Winamp's default mp3 decoder and the mp3PRO plugin at the same time

known issues:
- you have to rename your mp3PRO files to *.m3p
- it's useless for streaming
- you have to know whether your files are mp3PRO or not

Reply #3
Houston, we have an issue...

See, L. King, I think your little "hacking"  is great and would be really useful for MP3pro users.

But the license states this:

b) You may not (i) modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble (except to the extent that this restriction is expressly prohibited by law) or create derivative works based upon the Program

Can anybody with better experience in licensing and laws point out if L. King's "tutorial" is legal or not?

Thank-you.