Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Decorrelated signals in surround processing (Read 2835 times) previous topic - next topic

Decorrelated signals in surround processing

After reading Recommendations for Surround Sound Production from the Recording Academy Producers & Engineers Wing, I've discovered that they were *very* right about how critical decorrelation is when you're trying to create a sense of space. Even just introducing a time delay of a few milliseconds between the reverb content going to the Ls and Rs channels makes a massive difference (even though I started with a stereo reverb!).

Does anyone have any 'tried and true' methods for introducing decorrelation in a surround mix? I'm relatively new at this, and I'm open to experimenting with any ideas I find.

Decorrelated signals in surround processing

Reply #1
Does anyone have any 'tried and true' methods for introducing decorrelation in a surround mix? I'm relatively new at this, and I'm open to experimenting with any ideas I find.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262795"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just out of curiousity, have you ever had the opportunity to measure the cross-corrlelation of two mildly differently-aimed microphones separated by something like a head delay, say 1 millisecond take or give, say a pair of 1st order mikes (which kind depends on the angle you're using for aiming)?

It would be an interesting experiment to run in different spaces, I'll bet.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston