Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Tutorial about gaps and cuesheets (Read 20067 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Tutorial about gaps and cuesheets

Reply #25
MestreLion: That is probably what you came up with at the end of your post in that new thread you have been writing (you are talking about 'gap lenghts')

Good work BTW!    but I dont think I will be soon converting my CUEs into each other...

Reply #26
Making several CUE sheets and opening them in notepad, and comparing them is something I have done.
Give me a random CUE and I am able to tell you what kind of CUE sheet it is (not so difficult, you might be able to do that too)

Actually the new thread was exactly a tutorial on how to do that, so not only me and you are able to do it, but every newbie on the planet! 

But... can you please look at it again? By the moment you were reading it, I was still doing some research, and just "uploaded the final release" now  Btw... Ive found some pretty interesting and weird things while researching the CUE's behaviour.

Now for your comments:

Im really sorry I misuderstood you. Now I realize what you mean by compliant and stuff. You indeed used the word Noncompliant the right way (at least the sae way EAC uses). Now I can properly try to help you.

The 1st problem, to convert the CUE Sheet from one format to another, this can be done. And yes, you figured it right: with some calculation, it is possible to find the lenght of the gaps no matter the format you have at hand, and thus it is posible to convert it to any format you want. for such task, the other thread might be helpful..

Now youre able to edit and convert your CUE to the "Multiple WAVs With Gaps (Noncompliant)" format, thus matching the wavs/mp3s you have, we fall in the 2nd problem: how to edit this damn cue so other burners support it?

My answer: I have absolutely no clue

I say a few words about this in the other thread.. its really weird that such a simple format is not compatible with other burners. I dont have CRDWin, and I cant any option in Nero to load CUE Sheets, so I really cant even try to see if they actually reject such a CUE. And, also, Im unable to trial-and-error edit the CUE until they swallow it!

A suggestion: can you create a CUE with CDRWin? This way you could compare CDRWin's CUE with EAC's. The differences may between them may give a clue on why EAC's format is not accepted, and how to adapt it.

Well, as Im using EAC to burn too, I really dont mind if this CUE is not compatible with others... but I understand how puzzling this issue is.

Reply #27
I am not really familiar with CDRWIN.
But I am pretty sure it is not that difficult to convert the noncompliant into a compliant one. I will try to find out...

Reply #29
Well, as PIO suggested, I just read all the CUE Sheet specification in CDRWin 3.8B Documentation.

And, as far as I can read, our "Noncompliant" CUE is completely compliant to the standard described there! Theres no excuse for any software not supporting that CUE. Actually, the examples shown in the Documentation are far more "wild" then our humble CUE Sheet... things like that are possible:

FILE “C:\MYAUDIO3.WAV” WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:01:00
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:01:00

Wow! Nice mixing of PREGAP *and* Index 00 from the wav file!
What about this:

FILE “C:\MYAUDIO.WAV” WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 05:50:65
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 09:47:50

So, if this things are possible, how come our CUE to be Noncompliant???

I read Andre's comment, but he only says that CDRWin wont accept the CUE, not telling in details why.

Anyone out there have any working CDRWin version, so we cant test all of this?

BTW.. someone asked me if PREGAP means digital silesnce.. Yes, it does. From CDRWin documentation:

All pregaps that are generated internally contain "digital silence" (all zeros).

Reply #30
Andre Wiethoff is not very clear, but I am sure Pio will understand his words... 

BTW.. someone asked me if PREGAP means digital silesnce.. Yes, it does. From CDRWin documentation: All pregaps that are generated internally contain "digital silence" (all zeros).

well yes and no, if I am not mistaken CDRWIN means a special kind of pregaps... (maybe added by CDRWIN itself by default?)
It's a bit confusing: EAC's gaps and CDRWIN's pregaps are the same thing! And as you know EAC's gaps are not usually silence!

Reply #31
well yes and no, if I am not mistaken CDRWIN means a special kind of pregaps... (maybe added by CDRWIN itself by default?)
It's a bit confusing: EAC's gaps and CDRWIN's pregaps are the same thing! And as you know EAC's gaps are not usually silence!

, dont worry, I know that pregap = gaps = 00 indices, and that they can be anything from silence to a farting rhino. But I was specifically talking about the PREGAP statement used in the CUEsheets when you select the "Multiple WAvs with Leftout gaps" option. It was quite obvious that such tag would fill the gap with silence, but I never actually checked it. Nevertheless, CDRWin documentation gave me the answer, saving me a blank CD!

Btw, sorry for this mess... the question about the pregap was made at another thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply #32
Without a gap detection, CUE sheets made with 'current Gap settings...' are NOT ALWAYS the same as the noncompliant CUEs...

I just noticed that a 'corrected gap' CUE sheet was made!
(I hadn't done a gap detection. I have NOT appended gaps to next track last time I used EAC. So what's the matter?)

So I did a gap detection, and what did I see (predictable):
the option 'append to next track' was automatically selected by EAC

When I set back the default ('append to previous track') the 'current gap settings...' CUE sheets was a good one 

So I would not recommend using this option. Maybe it is safer for poeple who don't mess with gap detections (unlike me), but you never know...

Reply #33
I made a cuesheet fixer for people who want to burn audio albums from MPCs ripped using PiMP standard, download tool here. Burning using the fixed cue requires MPCs to be decoded into 'Range.wav', this can be done with command "mppdec playlist.m3u Range.wav".
Too bad cue sheet format is so limited, leaving out gaps is out of the question, appending gaps to next track makes listening to tracks horrible if they are not burned and EAC's non-compliant cue is of no use to people who's drive isn't supported by EAC.

Reply #34
What do you mean by 'fixer'. I must fix something, but what?

Reply #35
What do you mean by 'fixer'. I must fix something, but what?

By fixer I mean a tool that changes cue sheet to produce the results one would expect. Without fixing cues CDs that are not gapless will not have track starts at correct position, after fixing they will be.

Reply #36
If I interpret correctly:

in the situation 'append gaps to previous tracks',
but a 'wrong' CUE sheet that is meant for corrected gaps

Your tool would convert the CUE sheet to a normal one? (necessarily 'noncompliant')

Reply #37
in the situation 'append gaps to previous tracks',
but a 'wrong' CUE sheet that is meant for corrected gaps

Your tool would convert the CUE sheet to a normal one? (necessarily 'noncompliant')

This is meant to correct cues when files have gaps appended to previous track but this doesn't make the cue non-compliant (that format is not good, it can't be burned with any other program as it is invalid). Rather this changes the cue to require one big wav and moves the gaps into correct position.

Reply #39
Not too fast!
What happens with the gap before track 1 (Session Pregap) if you "Append Gaps to Previous Track"?
Is it included in the first WAV? If so, the Cue sheet doesn't take that info into consideration...

Reply #40
It is lost.
Remeber that Cd Players never read it unless you manually search backwards, so it only matters for hidden tracks.