IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules

Please read foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules before posting and comply with all the points.
Failure to provide all the information pointed out in the above document in your post is considered wasting other people's time and in extreme cases will lead to your topic getting locked without a reply.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
"Remove duplicates" case sensitivity
alexeysp
post Nov 30 2013, 14:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68627

The current implementation of "Remove duplicates" function from "Edit" menu is case-sensitive, i.e. if an entry is added to the playlist, then the case of some characters in its path is changed and the same track is added again, it is considered a different entry. I recently stumbled upon this behavior, searched the forums and found that it was already reported a few years ago in this topic, but it seems like it was ignored.

If it's of any importance, I am using foobar2000 v. 1.2.9 on Windows XP.

I think this should be considered a bug, since Windows path handling is case-insensitive, and both playlist entries are technically pointing to the same file.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kode54
post Dec 1 2013, 04:24
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

Conversely, the archive reader component subsequently retrieves files from archives using a case-insensitive matching algorithm, which makes it impossible to play all of the files in an archive created on a Unix system where there may be two files which only differ from each other in capitalization.

Also, it is actually possible to make Windows treat some or possibly all NTFS volumes in a case sensitive manner. And that is known to break a whole mess of software, not the least of which is many games which mix up capitalization of their own internal files throughout the code base, capitalizing it differently in one place or another. It is this reason that a number of semi-lazy Mac ports will opt to store all of their data files on a separate disk image formatted case insensitive, in case the user has installed their system to a case sensitive root partition. Saves them the effort of tracking down all the possible places some part of the game engine may programmatically generate filenames from differently capitalized string segments, in some way different from another piece of the game accessing the same exact files. Game programmers are sometimes screwy like that.

Yeah, making the redundant file check case insensitive will fix local paths on case insensitive systems, but has a possibility of breaking remote paths, as well as some archive paths, at least if case sensitivity is required for all edge cases. I don't really know for sure, though.
+Quote Post
alexeysp
post Dec 1 2013, 12:27
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 68627

QUOTE (kode54 @ Dec 1 2013, 06:24) *
Also, it is actually possible to make Windows treat some or possibly all NTFS volumes in a case sensitive manner.

As far as I understand, for Win32 applications local filesystem access is always case-insensitive (although case-preserving), unless the application explicitly asks for case-sensitive operation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, making the redundant file check case insensitive will fix local paths on case insensitive systems, but has a possibility of breaking remote paths, as well as some archive paths, at least if case sensitivity is required for all edge cases. I don't really know for sure, though.

Well, maybe make it configurable then? Add advanced settings like "Use case-sensitive path search for local volumes/remote volumes/archives", and use case-insensitive search/comparison for local paths and case-sensitive for remote paths and archives by default.

This, however, would require to perform volume/drive type checking for every playlist entry.

(I, personally, would be happy with a single option "Ignore case when looking for duplicate playlist entries").

This post has been edited by alexeysp: Dec 1 2013, 12:39
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 20:13