Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Comparing codecs by comparing waveforms (Read 5922 times) previous topic - next topic

Comparing codecs by comparing waveforms

I have compared Vorbis to MP3 by:
1. Preparing a WAV file from a CD.
2. Encoding the WAV to MP3 at 192kbps.
3. Encoding the WAV to Vorbis, trying to match the MP3's filesize.
4. Opening the WAV, MP3, and Vorbis in Audacity (audio editor) to check which codec represents the original WAV closest.

So far, Vorbis is closer to the original WAV.
Am I doing this wrong?

Reply #1
Yes, very wrong -- these are perceptual audio codecs, and audio is perceived using your ears, not by eyeballing waveform graphs.

Reply #2
check which codec represents the original WAV closest

Lossy codecs are designed to take away as much as possible. Matching the waveform picture means nothing at all.

Reply #3
In addition, comparing waveforms in the time domain is often confounding due to perceptually benevolent but visually significant alterations in phase, etc. The frequency domain is more informative. However, neither are considered a valid metric for assessing lossy compression here. Double-blind listening tests are the only recommended method. Please read #8 of the Terms Of Service, as I must assume you have not done so already.

Reply #4
As I read once in some post on this board: You don't listen with your eyes.

Reply #5
Two waveforms can look almost identical but sound very different, of they can look very different but sound almost the same.