Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Quick Tagger (Read 116196 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick Tagger

Reply #25
Hello,
This component looks so simple so I even don't know if it can really provide functionality from old mass tagger. I am using masstagger to guess values from filename can this plugin do this as well or will there be a way later? For now it is not such a big deal I can still use masstagger but support for that has been dropped so if something changes in the future I may miss this functionality at that time.

Quick Tagger

Reply #26
Did you bother to read the description of this component at all?

A more up-to-date "Fill values from filenames" function has been present in the Properties dialog for about a year.

Quick Tagger

Reply #27
thanks for pointing me to the right direction. Of course I have read the comment on the components page as well as this whole thread. I can see that purpose of this component is to set some tags to predefined values. I was just not aware of that nice functionality in the properties dialog so it's I have raised a question.
Please accept my apologies I did not want you to feel attacked or just anoyed.
Once more thanks for the reply

Quick Tagger

Reply #28
Hi,
is it possible to apply an option like "do not change the file timestamp" ?

Quick Tagger

Reply #29
Thanks for this useful component!

I was just wondering if it would be possible to assign quick-tagger commands to a button panel?!
(as i use an auto-hide columns-ui-button panel to get a "flat" structure)

What confuses me is the fact that every context-menu entry which can be assigned to a keybord-shortcut can also be assigned to a button, except the quick-tagger entries.

Quick Tagger

Reply #30
Hi everybody,

I have some trouble with Quick Tagger and shortcuts ( http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=59187 , scroll down), simply because "Quick Tagger does intentionally not support titleformatting expressions" (Frank Bicking said). So now I'm being advised to use the deprecated masstagger component ! I don't like that idea much, because (1) masstagger can do a lot of (dangerous) things when all I want to do is be able to assign rating values with two simple "rating +" and  "rating -" shortcuts, and (2) I'd like to use only components designed for foobar 0.9.5+.

So what I'd like to know is why exactly "Quick Tagger does intentionally not support titleformatting expressions", and what could be the solution to my problem (is really masstagger the only solution to get working "rating +" and  "rating -" shortcuts ?  ).

I have the feeling that, by designing brand new "simple, easy-to-use components" (which is great) BUT without optional advanced functionality (such as titleformatting), foobar itself might loose a bit of its soul.  For exemple, besides Quick Tagger, people are having the same problem with the Album Art component (simple but with an obvious lack of customizability). But that's another story.

Anyway, thanks in advance for enlightening me on this matter. 

Quick Tagger

Reply #31
Why do you need +1/-1 rating functions? If you f.e. like to increase rating from 3 to 4 you just can set 4 as rating.

Quick Tagger

Reply #32
Let me answer you with a question : why do people need to customize foobar ? Why do they spend dozens of hours to achieve such beautiful (but useless) interfaces ?

The answer is : because they like to. So why do I need +1/-1 rating ? Because I like it that way, plain and simple. I find it much more ergonomic that way. It's just a matter of taste.

Quick Tagger

Reply #33
There are so many things i would like to have! 
But do you think it is a good idea to totally change a plugin and you would not even save one click? You must admit that is not really senseful!

Quick Tagger

Reply #34
I'm not asking to change anything : I'm just asking if there is a standard solution to my problem.  And since I'm curious, I'm also asking why Quick Tagger does not support titleformatting (does anybody have a reason ? I'd love to know !).

You know, at worst I'll be forced to use masstagger ONLY for its shortcuts + titleformatting capability. Now THAT's senseless, don't you think ?    Forcing foobar users to use complex components only for a small part of their functionality, while a small component could do the trick if only it had titleformatting support... 

Maybe the component developers should stop for a second and think about it... is that really the way they want foobar to evolve ?

Quick Tagger

Reply #35
I'm not asking to change anything : I'm just asking if there is a standard solution to my problem.

Standard solution: Use Masstagger.

And since I'm curious, I'm also asking why Quick Tagger does not support titleformatting (does anybody have a reason ? I'd love to know !).

You know, at worst I'll be forced to use masstagger ONLY for its shortcuts + titleformatting capability. Now THAT's senseless, don't you think ?    Forcing foobar users to use complex components only for a small part of their functionality, while a small component could do the trick if only it had titleformatting support...

Quick Tagger is tailor-made to support scenarios where you want to set the a field to one of several values like rating, genre, mood, etc. Adding title formatting capability to Quick Tagger would instantly make its user interface more complicated and thus it would be harder to use. At very the least, you would need a possibility to test scripts (preview), and you would need to separate tag values from the labels that are displayed in the context menu. Right now each value doubles as its own label, which allows for the simple in-place editing in the Quick Tagger configuration where you just give it a list of values.

Maybe the component developers should stop for a second and think about it... is that really the way they want foobar to evolve ?

I cannot speak for third-party developers of course, but as far as the Peter, Frank Bicking, and me are concerned I think I can safely say: yes, that is exactly the way we want it to go. Make simple things easy (here: Quick Tagger), make complex things possible (here: Masstagger). And who knows, perhaps some day someone will create a more powerful, scriptable replacement for Masstagger.

Quick Tagger

Reply #36
Thanks foosion, now that's clear.  If both simple and complex things are possible, then I see no problem at all. But the best IMHO would be to officially "foosion"  components that have similar features (e.g. Quick Tagger and Masstagger). That way we could say this :
Q : I want to deal with tags (whatever may be - simple or complex)
A : Only one "official" component : XXX (unified component - QuickTagger + Masstagger), plus eventually other 3rd party components of course.
The prefs of XXX could be designed to be very simple, with a single checkbox that would toggle the "advanced mode" on/off. When checked, all advanced options would appear, and they would be hidden otherwise.

In fact, maybe you other experienced users should be aware of this : when you are somewhat new to foobar (like I am) but not to music software, what really is disturbing is the number of different foo_components with not-so-explicit dll names, may them be "official" or 3rd-party components. If you want to do a given thing, there often are various 3rd party solutions to achieve the same result. So if there was a single "official" solution to achieve at least the most usual things (let's say basic but also intermediate level), well, that really would be awesome. And of course 3rd party devs could still do their job for less usual / really advanced features... but well, at least there would be "official" solutions. 0.9.5 and Facets are a HUGE step in that direction, and I'm very thankful for that. Let's just hope that future official components will be able to do a bit more than basic features.

BTW, for me titleformatting is not an advanced feature, it's rather a basic/intermediate one : once you've understood the concept, it's easy to live with and difficult to live without. 

Quick Tagger

Reply #37

I was just wondering if it would be possible to assign quick-tagger commands to a button panel?!

What confuses me is the fact that every context-menu entry which can be assigned to a keybord-shortcut can also be assigned to a button, except the quick-tagger entries.

The buttons toolbar compatibility with 'Quick Tagger' was a Columns-Ui issue. It is fixed now.
(--> Sorry for posting in the wrong thread, but i did not know if it was a uick-tagger or a columns-ui issue)

Don't need it anymore anyway, as i realized the tagger-panel cwbowron ships with foo_cwb_hooks is very useful for flat-structure-tagging (especially for tagging multiple-value tags, as you can add/remove values)

Quick Tagger

Reply #38
Usability issue:

If you invoke "more..." - no matter if via contextmenu or keyboard-shortcut - then the OK-button will be focussed instead of the textfield. This seems undesired behaviour, because when you invoke the "More..."-dialog, then you apparently want to edit the value instead of just viewing it.

Win2k3, latest version of fb2k 0.9.5 beta and quicktagger
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Quick Tagger

Reply #39

I don't have menu Tool > Tagging.
I suppose we need an other component ?
Not anymore, please redownload the component, sorry for any inconvenience.
The initial version depended on foo_freedb's Tools / Tagging preferences branch. I've already uploaded an update that resolves this problem.

Excuse me, please, but I don't have the Preferences- Tool-Tagging menu as well. I'm using foo_quicktag.dll (16.10.07) abd FB2K 0.9.5.

Here is my component list: http://www.nncron.ru/temp/fb2k.jpg

What is wrong there?

Quick Tagger

Reply #40
Excuse me, please, but I don't have the Preferences- Tool-Tagging menu as well. I'm using foo_quicktag.dll (16.10.07) abd FB2K 0.9.5.

Here is my component list: http://www.nncron.ru/temp/fb2k.jpg

What is wrong there?

Because you didn't install or remove (?) some components which their settings are stored in Pereferences >> Tools page, for example: foo_converter.dll.

Quick Tagger

Reply #41
Because you didn't install or remove (?) some components which their settings are stored in Pereferences >> Tools page, for example: foo_converter.dll.

Thanks for your explanation. So, as far as I understand, the quicktagger is dependent to some other components (foo_converter or foo_freedb). Isn't this a good idea to mention this in quicktagger readme or install docs?

Is it impossible to use quicktagger without installing foo_converter or foo_freedb first (I have no plans to use them)?

Quick Tagger

Reply #42
foo_quicktag does not depend on foo_converter or foo_freedb2. Note that its preferences page is in the "Tag writing" branch.

Quick Tagger

Reply #43
foo_quicktag does not depend on foo_converter or foo_freedb2. Note that its preferences page is in the "Tag writing" branch.

I just checked it: if you install FB2K without the Converter and , and then add the Quicktagger - the 'Preferences - Tools - Tag writing' branch is not available. After installing the Converter I can see the 'Tools' and the 'Tag writing' as well. Isn't this a dependency?

Quick Tagger

Reply #44
A bug in preferences page tree handling code is preventing Quick Tagger preferences from being accessible when there's nothing directly under "Tools". This will be fixed in the next foobar2000 release, thanks for reporting. For now, you need something that adds a page directly under "Tools" installed to access Quick Tagger preferences.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Quick Tagger

Reply #45

Sorry about the misinformation, I still had an outdated version of foo_quicktag installed. Its preferences page is under "Tools/Tagging/Quick Tagger" as stated before.

Quick Tagger

Reply #46
Quick Tagger is not working for me.
To experiment with it I defined the following arbitrary change on the table:
Field Name%date%
Values (semicolon-separated)$substr(%title%,3,10)
When I tried to modify the (date) tag in a group of tracks, it warned me that I was about to update tags of x tracks but nothing changed.

Quick Tagger

Reply #47
If you had bothered to read this thread, you would have known that it's not supposed to be used with title formatting.

Use "Format from other fields" in the properties dialog.

Quick Tagger

Reply #48
If you had bothered to read this thread, you would have known that it's not supposed to be used with title formatting.

Use "Format from other fields" in the properties dialog.

I do know how to do that (with Masstagger).

As for reading, I have bothered.
Although Jose Hidalgo entries mention that you (somewhere else) said that Quick Tagger do not support titleformatting, that did not register in my mind.
Sort of a psychological reaction.
Why? Probably because since Masstagger is not installed automatically anymore, I expected that Quick Tagger would at least add to its features, not omit them, even after the explanation that it is intended to simpler things.

p.s. Anyway, I did appreciate your support - it's quite clear now.

Quick Tagger

Reply #49

The buttons toolbar compatibility with 'Quick Tagger' was a Columns-Ui issue. It is fixed now.
(--> Sorry for posting in the wrong thread, but i did not know if it was a uick-tagger or a columns-ui issue)

So how exactly did you resolve it if you don't mind me asking? I'm having the same issue.